Find
Notify
Tools

Loading the Tuffpak ?????
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted
Awhile back there was a brief discussion that filling the empty space on a Tuffpak with clothes and other like materials was no longer acceptable. Having previously done this on several trips to the Dark Continent -- would those whom have been there in the last several months please advise if this is a real issue or was that a one off issue?? As I recall someone related that only a rifle could be put in a gun case and nothing else ???
G

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 923 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
I believe that was a SAA memo or a South African police memo.

In any event, so long as the rifle can be removed from the case without removing all of the contents, I think you are fine.

I've done this twice since that memo was published, and both times, I left the soft cases where I could unzip them and extract the rifles. Both times, no problems.

I've also started using a third soft case to hold odds and ends. Keeps all of those things from rattling around in the case and it makes it easy for you to completely empty the case if necessary. Most recently that extra gun slip held three game cameras, extra D batteries, memory cards, knives and tools, etc.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Best way to load the Tuff Pak is to use the Tuff Sack. Then you merely open the Tuff Pak, slide out the Tuff Sack, unzip it, unzip the soft gun cases, and in most instances, you don't even need to pull out the gun, as long as they can read the serial number on the side of the firearm. I pack the Tuff Sack with other items too, but they're never in the way of the soft cases and access to the firearms for an inspection. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
tu2 Plus 1 on the TuffSack inside of the TuffPak.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the states i had a friend denied the tuffpak as gun case and said it was oversized luggage because he had clothes in it. It was a cluster and took time but let it go. Another friend had similar problem here with agent saying it was luggage but after a hassle let it go.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: 24 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both times out of Billings and Great falls I had to unload Tuffpak all the way as TSA wanted to see the bottom of it.Never had a problem overseas.

Posts: 370 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't get the whole TuffPak thing; the best way not to have your gun inspected is to keep everything out of the case except the guns.

I have had locks cut off before I figured out it was best to leave out gun oil, etc. My guns came thru unscathed as any TSA guy can put guns in a conventional case. I would be very nervous trusting TSA to put my guns in soft cases, etc.

And even if they want to inspect your case before you leave the check in area, you are not always authorized to watch. I have never been allowed to touch my stuff even when I can watch.

Outdoor Life or Field & Stream recently had a test of the best cases and TuffPak wasn't even mentioned. I know the guy who does the tests for F&S,and he is pretty thorough when it comes to contacting suppliers when he does his tests.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
And even if they want to inspect your case before you leave the check in area, you are not always authorized to watch. I have never been allowed to touch my stuff even when I can watch

This is the exact opposite of my experience. I haven;t traveled with guns a lot but when I did, I was the one who presented the gun (out of the case) to the TSA nut and even once had to open the action of my Hi-Power to show the almost shaking TSA agent that it was unloaded. She pointed at it and said "OK" and looked as if she was smelling soemthing bad and asked me to put it back in the case. I asked her is she wanted to check the chamber her self and she said "Nooo, honey, you just put that thang away..""

I wished I could have carried the thing on my hip after that rather pitiful example of security...

One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
I am leaving in two week, and am planning on putting cloths in my tuffsack to keep the rifles from moving around. You never know with TSA.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only consistent thing about TSA is their inconsistency! Eeker TSA and security is an oxymoran.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't get the whole TuffPak thing;

I am with you AAzW!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36418 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing I like about the TuffPak, is when returning from Joberg, they have a habit of putting red tags on guns and ammo. While in the baggage claim area I rip the red tags off and with the "golf clubs" I usually pass right thru. I don't lie I just don't volunteer. My end terminal is Dulles so no connection.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
quote:
And even if they want to inspect your case before you leave the check in area, you are not always authorized to watch. I have never been allowed to touch my stuff even when I can watch

This is the exact opposite of my experience. I haven;t traveled with guns a lot but when I did, I was the one who presented the gun (out of the case) to the TSA nut and even once had to open the action of my Hi-Power to show the almost shaking TSA agent that it was unloaded. She pointed at it and said "OK" and looked as if she was smelling soemthing bad and asked me to put it back in the case. I asked her is she wanted to check the chamber her self and she said "Nooo, honey, you just put that thang away..""

I wished I could have carried the thing on my hip after that rather pitiful example of security...

Last Fall TSA wanted to look at my gun case; I was paged and had to give my keys to the Delta agent, who then brought them back to me at the gate.

There is no way I was going to be able to watch TSA, as in that airport (the new Panama City airport) TSA operates in an area you are not allowed to go in.

I suppose you could make an argument that if you had two guns in a conventional case TSA could always put them in the case where they might rub together, but I will take that chance rather than hoping they figure out they need to put the gun back in a softcase or wrap the gun in cloth, etc.

Like I said, since I started putting nothing in my gun case but the guns, I have only been inspected by TSA once. The allure of the TuffPak is that you can cram a lot more than guns. Great. That is an invitation for TSA to inspect.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
The other attraction of the tuff pac (for me) is the weight of 17 lbs. I have a Pelican that weighs 28 pounds. I can legitimately carry two rifles and other odds and ends (or three rifles and nothing else) in the Tuff Pak at less than 50 lbs. In the pelican, it's tough to carry two big, scoped rifles at less than 50 lbs. Also, the TuffPak allows you to carry the soft cases in the rifle case, not in your checked bag where space and weight are already at a premium. My pelican WILL NOT close if the rifles are in soft cases.

Will J. Parks, III

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
TuffPak. Don't leave home without it.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tuff Pak. Don't EVER leave home without it.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Larry,
beer

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Woodmnctry,

I had problems returning from Johannesberg last week with a medical pack (sunscreen, bug spray, dressings,antibiotics, NSAID's, immodium, antacids, etc. with prescriptions) in My Tuff Pak with rifle, cleaning gear, jacket, rain coat, and hunting gear as a South African Police Officer was concerned about "all those pills" in my medical kit, causing me to miss my flight and spend an extra day in Johannesberg. Once re-inspected, there was no problem, but we were boarding the plane when we were notified of "the problem" 2 1/2 hours after they had custody of the rifle case. I was told we could still make our flight, leave the keys to the gun case locks for the concerned Police Officer at the X-Ray machine to allow him to inspect the contents of the case and hope the gun made the flight (fat chance of that) or we could miss the flight, get things taken care of and Delta would rebook us for the next day. The Check Port agent (who had verified the rifle's serial number and seen what else was in the Tuff Pak) and a different Police Officer (when I applied for adding another day onto my firearms import permit) later said to put only hunting related items into the gun case (which had the same contents that left Denver to Atlanta to Jo-berg to Port Elizabeth back to Jo-berg) to avoid this type of hassle. So, although I like the Tuff Pak for it's light weight and roominess, I'll think strongly about using my Storm Case next time I take only one rifle to resist the temptation to put other things into the Tuff Pak as filler.

I've had no prior problems with similar packing using the Tuff Sack, a soft case for the rifle, them putting gear including my medical kit into the Tuff Sack then into the Tuff Pak. No one tried to shake me down for "fees or fines" and all the people I personally dealt with (Delta and Check Port Agents, and South African Police at the Temporary Firearms Importation desk) were helpful. I never met the concerned Officer who was at the x-ray machine, but by the disarray in my case, it was thoroughly inspected. Nothing was taken. I will pack a little diffently next time though.

Best,

jpj3

Posts: 141 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 05 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
jpj3,

Once again Africa wins. Ridiculous! Please email PHASA a complaint regarding this stupid and improper procedure. You might copy SAPS and Delta as well. This crap needs to be stopped. I refuse to stop using my TuffPak as designed and will make a scene and demand a supervisor whenever such stupidity raises its' ugly head.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Last September I went through Jo-Berg 3 times during our hunts. I used a tuffpak and had one rifle in soft case, two scopes in bubble wrap, range finder, Sat Phone, one change of hunting clothes rolled up in the bottom of the case as padding, and a bunch of air filled packing balloons.

I never had a problem. I just opened the top of the Tuffpak, reached in and half unzipped the soft case, slid the rifle out and then back in and closed everything up.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7582 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am taking my first trip this September. I have access to a TuffPak or an Americase safari case. I am concerned about how tightly you would have to pack the tuffpak to keep the rifles from getting "beat up", vs the heavy foam in the Americase. Packing suggestions? Thanks.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 481 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I like the tuffpak for traveling with two rifles. I cut two pieces of high density closed cell foam and glued one to the inside bottom and one inside the lid. I slip each rifle in a stiff leather gun case (Murry Leather cases for me) and the two cases are a tight slip-fit inside the tuffpak. No other crap in the tuffpak.

I've traveled all over the place with this set-up and never had a problem. I like having the soft cases when I arrive. I can carry just the soft cases if I'm going the last leg on a bush plane or I can carry the entire tuffpak and use it as a safe deposit box in my tent.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
A third rifle case with some odds and ends in it takes up alot of the extra space, adds padding, and does not add much weight.

Will J. Parks, III

One of Us
posted Hide Post
drj - The whole idea of the Tuff Pak is NOT to pack it tight!! With rifle/s in a good padded soft case and a few additional clothing items per se is the ideal way to go. By not being packed tight, as in most other gun cases, the rifle is not subject to high impact hits on the case itself being transfered to the rifle. It kinda floats within the case I suppose would be a good way to explain it. Packing a Tuff Pak tooo tight will have a negative impact on how it is supposed to be used.

As ForrestB says, adding a foam layer to the bottom and inside the lid, I use a 1" layer of high density foam, adds a little extra protection.

Most Tuff Pak users seem to like the idea of the locked case becoming a sort of "safe" venue for personal items while in camp. As you see the TP is a whole lot more than just a "guncase", unlike the other options, for most of us. If it's a loaner you have access to, give it a practice run or two before making up your mind even if it's just loading it up and taking it to the range for a day outing.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by drj:
I am taking my first trip this September. I have access to a TuffPak or an Americase safari case. I am concerned about how tightly you would have to pack the tuffpak to keep the rifles from getting "beat up", vs the heavy foam in the Americase. Packing suggestions? Thanks.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I just completed a trail run for packing my Tuffpak. 2 scoped rifles (Win Mdl 70 Safari 375 H&H / Rem 700 Mtn Rifle 30-06) in soft cases, two pair of boots (one for me/one for my wife) and my binoculars - 50.0 lbs.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBT:
I just completed a trail run for packing my Tuffpak. 2 scoped rifles (Win Mdl 70 Safari 375 H&H / Rem 700 Mtn Rifle 30-06) in soft cases, two pair of boots (one for me/one for my wife) and my binoculars - 50.0 lbs.

Scott: Locks, name tags, and bag tags too?

Will J. Parks, III

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Totus Porkus.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does a double rifle need to be broken down into pieces to insure it doesnot get broken even though inside a tuffsak and a tuffpak??kd

Posts: 179 | Location: northern Arkansas | Registered: 14 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
KLD - I have read several accounts recommending double rifles be in a take down case inside a Tuffpack. I personally pack my double rifle inside a full length soft case and have never had a problem. Last year I took 3 rifles in my Tuffpack in soft cases, and I plan to do the same this year (450/400 Searcy double, 9.3x62 CZ scoped rifle, Weirhauch .177 scoped air rifle). My challenge is getting the weight at or below 50 pounds. I weighed everything this morning, and I am right at the 50 pound limit with the 3 rifles in soft cases in the Tuffpack (without the tuffsack). I may have to remove the scope from the air rifle so I can get some sweaters etc into the Tuffpack to act as additional padding and not go over 50 pounds.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boyt makes a lined, padded case for Double guns that is designed for a broken down rifle/shotgun that I may try when I get to use my TuffPak. Don't know that it will be necessary as the Boyt cases seem to be pretty padded and thick enough to absorb the impacts of being thrown around. Anxious to try it and see.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a leather Leg O Mutton case that my double fits in and have been toying with the idea of packing the rifle in that then placing it in my Tuffpack and packing an extra soft case when I get to camp....I believe that this subject has been broached before in other threads

Posts: 1609 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a leather Leg O Mutton case that my double fits in and have been toying with the idea of packing the rifle in that then placing it in my Tuffpack

That's what I did last year. Two bolt rifles and the double.

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love them for bird hunts, and that's it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On my last trip this past October to Zim. I took the suggestion of someone on the AR site and put wrote the serial numbers of my rifles on a piece of tape that was on the butt stock. In most cases when asked to verify the serial number on the gun with the 4457 rather than having to remove the entire gun from the case the serial numbers on the butt stock satisfied them.

Posts: 555 | Location: the Mississippi Delta | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 481 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had no problems at all with the Tuffpak system:
I use it in both the Long Gun format for Safari Travel, as well as employing one of the 11X32" sizes as a case for Double Shotguns.
I follow the same format and use two take-down shotgun cases,(mine are from Boyt). Excellent protection and convenient to use.
Unfortunately no TuffSack is yet available for this size case

A couple of notes expanding on some posts above.

I purchased a small vinyl covered cable with loops at both ends. These are frequently used to secure bicycles with a padlock.
Expanding on the use of the case as a "security vault" I lock my contents in the Tuffpak and further secure the case via passing the cable through the moulded side handles ,fastening it to a bed,chest,dresser,what have you, with a second lock.
I have a little better piece of mind when leaving the room, whether Hotel, B&B, lodge while in transit.

I have also taken to carrying extra locks of multiple styles.... TSA combination,Yes I know
they should not be able to enter gun case etc. . but not ALL of Them Know it.
I have saved two certain missed flights in the past year ,both on Delta,where for some reason an agent can't check a gun,but must summon a "Red Coat"
I was told that I must give him my keys and he would take guncase and keys to TSA ,promising to meet me at the gate with my keys if I had not taken off.....comforting. Both situations were solved by quickly changing out my keyed locks for TSA combo locks.

Because not all airline Agents nor TSA employees are up to date on the "rules of the week" I am now carrying both a conbo and a keyed lock to suit the situation. I also carry a spare of each in my carry-on in case of a lock cutting by whomever.....

A final note on those "Centurions of the Scanner" (TSA)

Immediately following the 9-11-2001 incident I took a contract position at with The Department of Justice at the request of some of my old comrades whom I had previously worked with.

The TSA was hastily formed and put in place by Homeland Security.
Their Bungling was not un-noticed by other Federal Agents who quickly dubbed the acronym TSA to mean "Thousands Standing Around" It certainly seems approiate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sir, is the Boyt GC 80 the way to go for a double rifle or shotgin in the Tuffpak?

Thank you!
http://www.boytharness.com/inv...0-A74F-A0AA351ED7B8}

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know the Product number for the Boyt soft cases ,but will look to see what I can learn when I ge them in hand again.