THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    South African Airlines Drops Guns and Overseas Flights--SCI

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

South African Airlines Drops Guns and Overseas Flights--SCI
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted
https://safariclub.org/south-a...JjhIODwY6LjJWlVidor8

Hunters planning to travel to South Africa this safari season should be aware that South African Airlines (SAA) is not accepting firearms as checked baggage. Also, while the airline is flying within South Africa and to other countries on the African continent, it is not flying overseas.

SAA had suspended all operations when it declared bankruptcy in 2020. It resumed operations recently, but only flying regionally, within South Africa and the African continent. More significantly for hunters, is that in addition to dropping its transcontinental routes, SAA has also dropped the carriage of firearms.

Inside sources say the airline simply has not renewed its contract with the security company licensed to handle firearms, as required by South African law. What’s more, those sources say SAA, has no intention of renewing that contract. Regardless the reasons, it means hunters traveling with firearms must avoid this airline.

The good news is that South African Airlink has secured the required security services to handle firearms on all of its flights. Airlink does not fly overseas either, but it will get hunters from South Africa to other popular hunting destinations on the African continent as well as areas within South Africa. Airlink requires at least a three-day notice to accept firearms. The policies are posted on the airline’s website at https://www.flyairlink.com/baggage-sporting-equipment. Read more about these developments in the May 2022 issue of Safari Times.

With all of the changes to airline routes and policies, it is advisable for hunters to use a travel agent who specializes in traveling with firearms. SCI members may contact SCI’s Hunter Hotline for a list of such travel agents and assistance with other hunting travel issues.

Posts: 817 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Didn't Airlink refuse firearms before?

Now they see a new window opening?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66751 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I seriously doubt that SAA can be a meaningful player in any market ever again.

Posts: 398 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have been going to Africa for so many years.

Everyone I had the pleasure of being with has been very hard working, and honest.

Which leads me to the simple fact that the rot is at the top.

A sad shame really.

With all its resources, Africa as a continent can give Europe a run for their money of run properly!

Posts: 66751 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Hold the funeral, they're dead.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
How awful. SAA was once a pleasure to fly. So much better than Delta.

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:

This is like saying feasting on a week old dead skunk is better than feasting on a 10 day old dead skunk! clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I have been going to Africa for so many years.

Everyone I had the pleasure of being with has been very hard working, and honest.

Which leads me to the simple fact that the rot is at the top.

A sad shame really.

With all its resources, Africa as a continent can give Europe a run for their money of run properly!

My experience as well. Poor performance is always due to bad management.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:

This is like saying feasting on a week old dead skunk is better than feasting on a 10 day old dead skunk! clap

rotflmo

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13328 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote