THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Victoria Falls airport expansion begins

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Victoria Falls airport expansion begins
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.herald.co.zw/index....a-tourism&Itemid=136

Victoria Falls airport expansion begins

Tuesday, 08 May 2012 00:04

From Patrick Chitumba in Victoria Falls

The expansion of the Victoria Falls District Hospital and its Interna­tional Airport is underway as the resort town faces a major facelift ahead of the United Nations World Tourism Organisation General Assembly next year.
However, residents and local com­panies have expressed disappoint­ment that they have been overlooked in the construction works.

The hospital will be built by a group of companies from Bulawayo.
Government has pumped in US$6 million towards the expansion works.
The companies have already started putting their equipment on site.
A resident said: “The Tender docu­ment on the expansion exercise of the hospital was published in the weekly newspaper, Sunday News, and we were only given about four days to travel to Bulawayo, buy the tender application forms, come back to Vic­toria Falls, consult and look for quo­tations before returning the docu­ments to Bulawayo.

“It is the general feeling among res­idents and companies here that bene­ficiaries of the project, the tender documents should have been sold at the hospital rather than Bulawayo.”

The UNWTO local organising committeechairperson Mayor Nkosi­lathi Jiyane also added his voice against the tender processes.
“Things have changed over the years, Victoria Falls has grown in population and in companies provid­ing services such as construction.
“In this light it is rather sad that local companies are being sidelined at the expense of outsiders,” he said.
“The tendering process was very poorly done, it favored companies from Bulawayo.”

Zinwa has also started laying pipes that would take water to the airport from the Zambezi River during the construction period. The project will cost US$150 million for the expan­sion of the runway, a new terminal and tower. Government has also released US$2,5 million and US$822 000 for the rehabilitation of trunk and council roads respectively.

A further US$15 million has been availed for the upgrading of a water reticulation system including upgrading of the sewer plant, con­struction of a 1 000 cubic metre-reservoir for Mkhosana and the reha­bilitation and expansion of sewer ponds.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9348 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
well, considering the expansion upgrade of the Bulawayo airport was begun at least 6-7 years ago and was still not completed when i passed through 2 years ago- i wouldn't hold my breath on this project!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
well, considering the expansion upgrade of the Bulawayo airport was begun at least 6-7 years ago and was still not completed when i passed through 2 years ago- i wouldn't hold my breath on this project!

rotflmo

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dwarf416
posted Hide Post
still not completed Big Grin

diego

Posts: 645 | Location: madrid spain | Registered: 31 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kathi
Do you know when this assembly (party) will take place?

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Look familiar?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gee when I went there they wanted to take my camera after I took pictures of this modern up to date airport.
Did you know they have that great invention the light bulb in side.
I was looking for the Apple 2E computers but they said they where on back order.
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not unusual for laziness and corruption delays in this country, so I imagine it is the same elsewhere. The poor picked on Indians are deep into their second year of standing around picking their noses on the Nez Perce Res., trying to replace a couple tiny bridges. It happens.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I actually loved the quaint old Bulawayo airport.
It was classic Africa's front door for me.
Can't remember anything good about Vic falls airport though.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote