New
Find
Notify
Tools

4457...Proof of Ownership?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'll be traveling through JFK in a couple weeks and contacted NY Port Authority today just to make sure I have all my ducks in a row for the trip. The gentleman I spoke with at the Port Authority told me I needed to provide proof of ownership for my firearm. I told him that I had the 4457 formed filled out and signed at which point he told me "that is for Customs on your return, you need to provide proof of ownership". I was under the impression that the 4457 could serve as proof of ownership?????

He also proceeded to tell me that my ammo needed to be carried in a "locked, metal box". When I inquired about my pelican case, he again repeated that it needed to be metal.

I'm really scratching my head on this as none of information he gave me seemed in accordance with what I've read on TSA's or South African Airway's websites. Was this gentleman right or just full of crap?

If he was correct about proof of ownersihp, is there anything I can do to resolve this issue quickly? The rifle I'm taking was purchased in the early 80's and it is very unlikely that I have the sales receipt somewhere.

Thanks in advance.

"The true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching". - John Wooden

posted Hide Post
Follow your airline's requirements precisely; TSA should only care whether the 'unloaded firearm' declaration is in the case or not.

Keep your gun case locked until you are asked to open it by the airline rep.

PAPD may be summoned to check your firearms out but unless you are a resident of NYC, you do not need permits to possess firearms. (BTW, DO NOT TAKE HANDGUNS INTO NY STATE WITHOUT PRIOR OFFICIAL CLEARANCE.)

I was never asked for proof of ownership,even when I lived there.

A stamped 4457 will get you through Customs on the way back.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
There is nothing in the regulations that requires you to carry your ammo only in a "locked metal box". You can carry your ammo in a fiber, wood or metal box, or any other packaging specifically designed to carry small arms ammo, including your Pelican case. As to the requirement of proof of ownership, the airlines and all African Countries have always recognized the U.S. Customs Form 4457 as proof of ownership of the firearms. It is your "declaration of personal effects" that belong to you. Seems like you have run into another dumb-assed government employee who doesn't know or understand the rules, and wants to create some bogus issues.

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
As generalization, government employees rarely confess they don't know something; they will just make something up to save face.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have flown in and out of NY several times with rifles and have had no problem, the police and TSA have always been very courteaous. As George says keep the gun case locked unless asked to open it. As soon as you get to the airline desk let them know you are carrying a hunting rifle. ABOVE ALL - go extra early to catch your flight and deal with gun checkin.

Posts: 2536 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I just flew through JFK to Jo'berg on 4/17. The port authority cops were very professional and and only asked to see my boarding pass. They did open my case in a private area, checked to see my rifles were unloaded, relocked my case, and sent it on to baggage. They only asked about my ammo, and did not open my bag to check it. No problem.

Upon my return on 4/28, I arrived back at JFK at 7am, and none of them felt like working yet, and it took about an hour and a half to get my rifles and get outa Dodge. They asked for my 4457 and pasport only.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1958 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote