THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Travel/trip insurance company?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Travel/trip insurance company?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi all,

The coronavirus issues have got me thinking about insurance for our upcoming Rwanda/Tanzania trip.

I know nothing about such insurance. Any help here?

Thanks,
Keith

What counts is what you learn after you know it all!!!

Posts: 711 | Location: York,Pa | Registered: 27 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Personally, I'm skeptical of trip insurance now. Story told before here on AR but this past summer, my son and I booked a safari to Zim. Purchased travel insurance from Ripcord for the flights. My son had to cancel 2 days before going due to a stomach issue.

We were denied reimbursement on his ticket. Ripcord denied the payment based on him having seen a doctor for the same issue within the prior 2 years. I think he sought treatment for the issue something like 18 to 20 months prior and though it was under control. The fact that he had experienced an issue in the past was the very reason we purchased the policy. We were told at the time of purchasing the policy that if we purchased it within 7 days of purchasing the tickets, the pre-existing condition didn't apply.

Never again for me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We’ve bought Travel Guard and had to use it twice, paid off both times, others may had had different results but we were satisfied.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never had a client need to make a claim on airfare but Travel Guard really stepped up when my client was hit by a buffalo.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12865 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
We’ve bought Travel Guard and had to use it twice, paid off both times, others may had had different results but we were satisfied.
+1

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:

+1

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1572 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
travel guard took excellent care of me twice

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My concern is that the flights get shut down altogether. insurance gonna pay out for everyone who can’t travel?

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
41- Airlines have been pretty good so far, either refunding or issuing full credit to re book. In my experience collecting on travel insurance is a dog fight, but have not used Travel Guard as mentioned above. As of the current situation would bet no company is writing insurance at this time.

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For overseas hunts I usually take a short term medical emergency plan with Global Rescue ( note: this is not insurance ) to have something of a safety net for my main concern. Never had to use it.
True travel insurance covering hunting trips is almost impossible to find now as most off the shelf plans these days make a point of excluding cover for hunting. The last time I bought a plan covering hunting was 2015 / 2016.
It is possible to obtain hunting trip insurance in the USA which may or may not cover non USA citizens but cost can be a factor. It was for me. Global Rescue touts a travel product but it's cost was beyond my acceptance level. Something is also available in Canada but possibly only applies if you are traveling to Canada to hunt. The last few years I have traveled and hunted without and known that I bear the risk. I'm not entirely comfortable with that but had no choice.
I would sure like to know if there is any reasonable option out there that covers hunting trips.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2014 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
An update on Global Rescue's response to any cancellations due to C19: Go Pound sand! Just off the phone with them- unless you purchased "cancel for any reason" you are going to be denied. My State Insurance Commissioner here in Montana is looking into it.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crane:
An update on Global Rescue's response to any cancellations due to C19: Go Pound sand! Just off the phone with them- unless you purchased "cancel for any reason" you are going to be denied. My State Insurance Commissioner here in Montana is looking into it.

Cancel for any reason. I looked into this. The premium is 50% of the trip costs. They are crooks.
C

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The point in my case is flights were cancelled. Think they are in a grey area. Arbitrary and capricious comes to mind.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Received an email today from Atchesons referring to CV-19 and they gave links to trip insureres they recommend.
I'm posting the link here for USA citizens but this insurer also has an option for non USA citizens.
https://www.sevencorners.com/a...undtrip+Elite#/quote
I'm asking if anyone has experience of filing a claim with this company and how you rated the process ?

Cheers

Posts: 2014 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
What link??

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13141 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ooops !!
Sorry. I've pt the link in there now.
Thanks for pointing that out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think in the US 90% of all travel policies are underwritten by two firms. So not sure you will be getting a different and better product.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

As with any insurance, it is important to note the exclusions. This is incredibly important.

Posts: 11955 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:

My view is to do due diligence without depending on insurance companies to refund the hunt for CATASHROPIC events. Yes, do get standard Global rescue though.

In my case:

--- The contract with the outfitter covers me for a full refund if the hunt does not occur due to the area being closed to hunting or being unreachable.
--- Flying business so can refund/change flight without any penalties.

If my August hunt does not occur, I will most likely lose the South African airlines portion of the travel expenses (RSA to Zim n back) as they do not seem to be refunding. That is not a huge amount compared to my total hunt expenses.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be sure to ask them if a Pandemic is one of the situations with no payout. Some of the research I did indicated that.

Posts: 214 | Location: maine, usa | Registered: 07 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Travel Guard has 32 pages of exclusions and it's like pulling teeth to get them to send it to you.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Reports on the Net say that insurance companies are no longer covering travel.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66931 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reports on the Net say that insurance companies are no longer covering travel.

If this is true I am not surprised.
I maintain a hefty dose of suspicion of any insurance contract.

One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
What are some of your thoughts on the earliest that Americans will be able to fly into Johannesburg. I am guessing late June.

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Capt. Purvis:
What are some of your thoughts on the earliest that Americans will be able to fly into Johannesburg. I am guessing late June.

I think the copied commentary below pretty well sums up the worldwide situation, at least as things stand currently.
Here in New Zealand our national carrier Air New Zealand ( a profitable airline ) issued a statement of projections and their current situation all due to CV-19.
Annual revenue drops from $ 5.8 billion to $500 million, 95% of all services suspended, layoff of thousands of their workforce and expecting in 12 months to be at least a 30% smaller business than now. Tourism inflows make up 2/3 or their total revenue. They say that emerging from CV-19 Air New Zealand will be a largely domestic carrier as worldwide most countries, including NZ, will take a very cautious approach to reopening borders. My belief is it will take time to return to a semblance of what we call normality for international travel.
In regard to shipment of trophies from Africa I was in contact with my customs broker this week. He thinks some airlines he uses will not survive the crisis.

Originally posted by Beretta682E:
In the real world international travel is going to be very difficult for next 18-24 months.

Us is the epicenter of this virus - millions of cases is the conservative assumption. If regional us states today have imposed travel restrictions on us citizen from different states anyone think global travel is going to be free and open.

China has seen an influx of new cases from international travels after massively controlling local cases.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/0...ries&pgtype=Homepage

Until all governments from us to zim to China to India to German to nearly every country get comfortable they are not reimporting a virus they managed to control at exorbitant economic costs they are simply going to impose draconian controls.

Airlines with business models built on hub international travel - emirates, ethiad, Turkish are going to be in a world of hurt.

Let’s hope there are rapid test that can be administered at entry points.

Get used to living in the twilight zone version of international travel for next 18-24 months.

Big regional economies like US China India will see their vast population focus on local travel. Places like Maldives are screwed.

Mike

Mike, I am afraid you are spot on here ... Time will show, but this is the hard facts on travelling or being able to travel from one country to another one and being allowed to get back home ..

Morten

Yup

There is way too much unrealistic thinking that come July we will all be getting on planes headed to Africa.

Global trade will bounce back. Not global travel. People are how this virus moves and only way to control it is he movement of people.

Look at all these poor people stuck on cruise ships no one wants to take in and even provide aid to friendly countries.

All hub travel is seriously screwed. Why would anyone want to hang out at Dubai airport and be in a place where there are travelers from all over going all over. The worst spot to control a virus.

Any travel will be point to point with testing before getting on a place and at point of entry.

The hub travel model is seriously f@cked - not built for a world of pandemics.

Everything will be domestic for the short term.

This is a new world going forward for the short term.

Unless once is vaccinated borders are not going to open and that is 18 months away.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a trip planned and paid for NZ this coming mid June. Suspect not going to happen. Purchased the Travel Guard premium insurance package only to find Travel Guard will not refund our money but will extend the insurance for two yrs. Hell, NZ may not be allowing people in two yrs. from now. Will not insure with a Travel Guard again. MTG

Posts: 241 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MTGunner one of us posted 12 April 2020 03:59
Have a trip planned and paid for NZ this coming mid June. Suspect not going to happen. Hell, NZ may not be allowing people in two yrs. from now.

MTG,
Personally, I believe your suspicion re your NZ hunt being a non-event is correct. Govt. here saying absolutely no relaxation of current lockdown and will not decide next step until 20 April. They have said extending the lockdown could happen. Ongoing CV testing is uncovering new cases daily so, in Govt's view, we are not out of the woods yet.
Also, announced in the last few days, all Kiwi incoming travelers are now forced into 14 days quarantine in Govt. approved accommodation ( currently appointed hotels ) and home quarantine is no longer allowed. Effectively, our border currently remains closed to foreigners, and there are no operational carriers anyway, but with very few exceptions any arriving non Kiwi citizen would be subjected to the same quarantine delay. Currently the NZ Govt. is paying the quarantine cost but have advised this will change to at least a partial cost basis going forward. I think just now it's impossible to say when our borders might open for international travel, without quarantine, but for me it's hard to see this happening within 6 months. I suspect it will take longer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
30-06king, have not spoken to Outfitter so far. But, believe trip is not in the cards for some time. Outfitter is very reputable, but has to consider his family, employees and business. This CV has impacted everyone. If trip is toast....it is what it is.
Please everyone be safe and take care of your families. We will keep a positive thought for all. MTG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
MTGunner posted 12 April 2020 12:59

30-06king, have not spoken to Outfitter so far. But, believe trip is not in the cards for some time. Outfitter is very reputable, but has to consider his family, employees and business. This CV has impacted everyone. If trip is toast....it is what it is. Please everyone be safe and take care of your families. We will keep a positive thought for all. MTG

MTG,
Appreciate your thoughts for the safe health of our families at this time. Wishing the absolute same for you and family and that we all come through this with positive prospects ahead.
Yes, we are all in the same boat regards the impact of CV. I'm sure your outfitter has a major headache trying to plan through this. I hope you have the opportunity to contact him to discuss your hunt status. If he is reputable as you say he will be willing to discuss available options, even if they have to be pushed out to future dates.
Best of luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
30-06king, we have had considerable discussion with our outfitter, GH. He has reaffirmed that our deposit will be for full value. He has informed us that the 2020 season has been canceled. Therefore he will not reschedule any clients until after Sept. 2020 for next season. No one knows what the future holds for all. We are healthy, safe and patient. With hope this crisis will pass. Please, everyone be safe. MTG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
MTGunner posted 15 April 2020 09:25

30-06king, we have had considerable discussion with our outfitter, GH. He has reaffirmed that our deposit will be for full value. He has informed us that the 2020 season has been canceled. Therefore he will not reschedule any clients until after Sept. 2020 for next season. No one knows what the future holds for all. We are healthy, safe and patient. With hope this crisis will pass. Please, everyone be safe. MTG

MTG,
Sounds positive, even if having to wait until 2021. Good to know both parties will get it worked out.
I have BC and Colorado hunts booked for this year. At this stage I'm not expecting them to go ahead but I am holding off just a little longer before contacting outfitters. Gotta stay hopeful if nothing else. Cheers.