THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Crazy "Gun Case" question related to travel to JNB

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crazy "Gun Case" question related to travel to JNB
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After careful consideration and extensive research I ended up purchasing a ticket to Johannesburg using Luthansa (Premium Economy).
Initially I had planned to rent camp rifles. I have heard some tales of Bushnel optics and at 20 dollars a day (12 day hunt) and5 dollars a bullet I could see myself racking up 400 dollars in cost.

So I inquired with Lufthansa, they said there is absolutely no charge for traveling with the firearm as Premium Economy is allowed two checked bags. One for luggage and the other for the gun case...

Here is where it gets all screwed up, in order for it to be free it has to weigh less than 23 KG (50 lbs) and measure in length, width and depth of no more than a total of 158 CM (62.2 in)

I have a Tuff Pack that is 53 x 12.5 x 11 (76.5 total inches) and an old Cabela's metal case that is 52 x 14.5 x 5 (71.5 total inches)

I have a Remington Model Seven in a &mm SA Ultra Mag that I think is right at 39 inches long.

I cannot find anything remotely close to 62 inches (total)

Just guestimating, I would say the bounding box of the gun itself (with scope) would be 39 x 8 x 2 for 49 total inches, leaving me with just 13 divided into the 3 axes (of x, y and z)

Does anyone know of a slimline single rifle case that has external (Length, Width, Depth) dimensions that total no more than 62.2 inches.

"Once you've wrestled, everything else in life is easy."
Dan Gable

Posts: 55 | Location: Cedar Falls, IA | Registered: 17 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is cutting it close, but...

Maybe try Amazon for a better price.

And maybe cut the foam on a diagonal fit to maximize cushion on both ends?

Plano

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's about as close as I am able to see...

But the external dimensions are 44 1/2 In. Long x 17 In. Wide x 6 1/2 In Thick. That totals 68 total inches. They grabbed my attention by listing only the "internal Dimensions" of 43” x 14” x 5” for a total of 62"

Been scratching my head bigtime on this.
Grr....

Thanks for the feedback, it is nice to have someone comment and to know someone is reading and willing to respond!!!!

"Once you've wrestled, everything else in life is easy."
Dan Gable

Posts: 55 | Location: Cedar Falls, IA | Registered: 17 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan,
I’ve taken an SKB double rifle case on Emirates, SAA, Delta, United, Air Canada and Qatar with no problems, it measures (roughly) 47x17x7. Also flown the same airlines with an SKB single case that measures 47x8.75x4. Haven’t flown on Lufthansa, though.
Depending on when your trip is planned and there isn’t a conflict in a hunt I’ve planned, we’ve never met but you would be welcome to use my single case. PM if needed.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2718 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Bob, my advice would be to buy a Blaser or pay the extra baggage fee.

I know of no non-take-down rifle case that would satisfy those dimensional requirements.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13313 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post
First, my experience is that that the luggage staff always checks the weight and never checks the dimensions. (I've made about 100 trips across the Atlantic or Pacific in the last 25 years, many, many times with moderately over-sized baggage.) Still, your mileage may vary.

But, second, have you checked Lufthansa's sports baggage policy?

https://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/sports-baggage

My interpretation is that there should be no charge as long as the weight isn't exceeded: "Please settle any flat rate payments that may arise directly at a Lufthansa Service counter at the airport. Sports baggage can be counted as your free baggage as long as the number of items and the weight do not exceed the free baggage allowance stipulated for your travel class. This does not, however, apply to the Economy Class Light fare." They do ask that you register it at least 24-hours in advance. This is the policy that golf clubs and skis usually travel under.

Third, I do like Mr. Robinson's suggestion for a take-down rifle! Failing that, have you considered taking the barreled action out of the stock?

Fourth, I think I'd check on the actual rifle rental situation with your outfitter. I know everyone has their own thoughts on this. I've rented rifles for both safaris because I was traveling in Europe on business before and after both safaris. I've been happy both times, though maybe I'm easy to please. I had a Ruger 300 Win Mag with Leupold scope - something I'm quite used to, on one safari. On the other I shot a Sako with Swarovski scope and also a Winchester Model 70. In no case was it prohibitively expensive.

Posts: 672 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
First, my experience is that that the luggage staff always checks the weight and never checks the dimensions. (I've made about 100 trips across the Atlantic or Pacific in the last 25 years, many, many times with moderately over-sized baggage.) Still, your mileage may vary.

This. I've never had any airline check demensioms, just weight.

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Irrespective of weight, size etc I would certainly get that in writing from LH that there is no charge. I flew Business Dusseldorf to Jhb with 4 bags allowed between us and the stung us for weapon handling fees both ways .... Few hundred Euros !!

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post

Posts: 672 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m no expert but I think you would be fine using your tuff pak with respect to overall size. I’ve traveled on a dozen trips with mine, both within the USA & to Africa. I’ve never had someone pull out a tape measure and figure out if my luggage (gun case) was too big.

Posts: 59 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 10 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
My large SKB case exceeds the overall dimesnion limit but as long as it is under 50 pounds it si fine. My agent told me sporting equipment waves the dimension limit but not the weight limit. this must be correct as I have never been questioned and that included SAA Air Link which has very strict limitations.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JusT take the action out of the stock and have a much shorter package. Most well bedded rifles will show little or no change of zero. Besides you will want to check the rifle before you hunt - and if needs be a couple of clicks will soon have you back on zero. Change in climate and altitude in any case can affect zero.

Take a full allowance of ammo just in case, along with the proper screwdrivers, hex keys for your rifle.

Posts: 979 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use an SKB double case. I put my hunting clothes in the bottom section.

I have never broke 50 pounds.

Posts: 10586 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What Cal said. I have made 15 plus trips with a tuff pack. Have flown SAA, Delta, American Airlink and never had an issue. However, call Lufthansa and make sure, plus contract Gracy or TWG, they should know.

One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
American Airlines has a different size restriction for Sports Equipment. Under shooting equipment they have the same weight restriction but a size restriction of 126".

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 632 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've travelled on Luftwaffe several times with rifles - I very much doubt anyone will check either the weight or dimensions of your case - It will go in "oversize" anyway.

However if you're going through Frankfurt its entirely possible you may need to collect the rifle and check it in again. This happened to me and no-one told me this until I was at the point of checking in - it could not be checked through to Windhoek. There is some customs related reason for this - and a charge of €60 (??) per weapon.

You might want to check.

Posts: 191 | Location: The frozen north of Scotland | Registered: 01 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CharlesL:
American Airlines has a different size restriction for Sports Equipment. Under shooting equipment they have the same weight restriction but a size restriction of 126".

THIS

Almost every airline treats sports equipment differently than regular luggage.
It count as one of your bags, but follows different rules for dimension.

Read the baggage guideines over and over and it will eventually be as clear as mud.
I'd post a link to Lufthansa's guidelines, but my internet has been whacked since an "upgrade" a few weeks back. Mad

Posts: 309 | Location: NE Texas | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Five trips to Africa and I've used the Pelican double rifle case and a Tuffpack. I've never had a case measured and they're both over the airline limit. All they've ever done is weigh them.

I worked for an International airline for nine years and I've never seen a checked bag measured.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Many different airline cases will put you under the Airline limit for inches. Hard part becomes making the 50 pound weight.

America case single rifle.

SPECIFICATIONS
SKU: AT-5412HW
Weight: 27 lbs
Interior Dimensions: 52’ X 10”
Exterior Dimensions: 54” x 12” x 6.6”
Product Line: Aluma-Trans

Total inches for airline: 54 + 12 + 6.6 = 72.6
Excellent cases, I use these for travel with shotguns in the USA.
Great for break down rifles, have the case cover and your are set.
I have friends who use multi gun cases for travel to Africa. They plan pack it over weight and pay the added expense.

Tuffpak Specifications

Exterior Dimensions: 13" x 12"
Inside Diameter: 10"
Outside Height: 52"
Inside Height: 50"
Weight: 18 lbs.
Lock: Tubular steel key lock
Capacity: 2-3 full length rifles or up to 5 shotguns in soft cases + clothing, boots, etc.
Color: Black

Total inches for airline: 52 + 13 + 12 = 77 inches

I use this case for travel to Africa with no issues. it is easy to be over weight, so use an at home scale to pack to 49 pounds. And just in case your scale is off, have a item weighing 1 pound at the top for easy removal.

You will see many of these cases in Africa, I have found it helpful to put a ribbon or other marker on your case for easy spotting. I did have one guy try to walk off with my case in South Africa, he did not make it very far with all the security. Became very red faced when confronted and was shown where to go and look for his case.

Pelican™ Storm Case™ im3300RFL Rifle Case

Interior (L x W x D)
50.5" x 14" x 6" (128.2 x 35.5 x 15.2 cm)
Exterior (L x W x D)
53.8" x 16.5" x 6.7" (136.6 x 41.9 x 17 cm)
Body: Injection Molded HPX® high performance resin
Foam: Expanded Polypropylene
Latch: Valox - PBT polybutylene terephthalate

Total inches for airline: 50.5 + 14 + 6 = 70.5 inches. single rifle case
Total inches for airline: 56.11 + 19.15 + 6.65 = 81.91 inches. Double rifle case

I have a friend who travels with the double rifle case for trips to Africa and Alaska, he like the case.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1558 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
You might want to check with LH again about that firearm. While it will travel in the “free baggage allowance” I believe that they do have a firearm handling fee. That camp gun might end up being more economical.

Posts: 746 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone used Ethiopian lately? and have they checked size?

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Terry Blauwkamp:

Yes, at the beginning of November, and no they did not check the case size.

Posts: 746 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suggest you book with Kathi Klimes or Travels with Guns to get the details correct. Both of them know their stuff. I prefer Kathi.

Posts: 10084 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Terry Blauwkamp:

I have flown Ethiopian several times and never had an issue. They do not know what their own rules are as to guns, but the bags go thru ok.

Posts: 10084 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK145
posted Hide Post
As most here have stated...I've done the trip 5 times with big rolling duffle bags with archery equipment inside...double gun cases...double bow cases, etc. I've never had anyone on any airline...Delta, Emirates, SAA, BA...take out a tape measure for dimensions. Weight?..yes..but not dimensions.

Posts: 217 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 15 August 2011Reply With Quote