THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Layover In Dubai with Rifle?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Layover In Dubai with Rifle?
 Login/Join

posted
Has anyone flown Emirate Airlines into Tanzania with a layover in Dubai. We would like to layover in Dubai on the way in, but want information on any difficulties with hunting rifles.
UAE indicates that permission of Dubai Airport Police and UAE Aviation Authority is needed, but Emirates says that they handle it.... At least the voice on the other end of the telephone said that.... grin.. Has anyone had actual experience with a layover?

One of Us
Picture of BearCountry953
posted Hide Post

Posts: 97 | Location: USA Massachusetts | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
May have change since I was there but it was a mess.
One guy had his ammo taken
My buddy his gun and ammo to 8 month to get back
the barrel was rusted and the scope smashed
Need to have the paper work signed and sent in plus must have 3 copies confirmed.
OH yes they took my rifle scopes out of my carry on.
Just a mess.
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Larry,

Were you just transiting through Dubai without claiming your luggage or did you claim your luggage in Dubai?

Mike

Posts: 21203 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We did not claim our luggage but we did spend the night in Dubai.
Just knew that ahead of time and we had all we needed in the carry ons for the nights stay.
Good Luck
Its a great place but a little intimidating.
Did not enjoy the airport at all felt very uncomfortable there.
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Canuck32
posted Hide Post
I did it in 2009 with a 4 hr layover. This was the only flight in 20 years where my luggage did not arrive at my destination. I went through Dubia on a Friday and they held my bags till Monday. I had the firearms approval and confirmed before flying in to Dubia that it was good, but they still held it. On my outbound flight was on a wednesday and the baggage was not held up.
My advice would be to avoid the weekend to transit there as the police don't really work then.

If you have that much to fight for, then you should be fighting. The sentiment that modern day ordinary Canadians do not need firearms for protection is pleasant but unrealistic. To discourage responsible deserving Canadians from possessing firearms for lawful self-defence and other legitimate purposes is to risk sacrificing them at the altar of political correctness."

- Alberta Provincial Court Judge Demetrick

Posts: 615 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 17 November 2004Reply With Quote