New
Find
Notify
Tools

Form 4457
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have the SAPS 520 form completed with black ink and unsigned until in front of SAPS. When do I obtain the US Customs form 4457??

Posts: 209 | Location: Montana | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by huntnjim:
I have the SAPS 520 form completed with black ink and unsigned until in front of SAPS. When do I obtain the US Customs form 4457??

You can download it from the Customs and Border Protection website or get it at your local CBP office.

You complete the information and take it to Customs and Border Protection to have it signed and stamped. They will want to check the serial numbers of your rifles. Tell them why you are there before you take your guns in.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
To find directions to the closest US Customs port go to :
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/ports/

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Easy process and follow what Charles said: go in without guns (I leave mine locked in my vehicle). You should also bring anything such as camera's, bino's, rangefinders etc. Be sure to list your scopes too. This is what proves you are the owner and did not buy them overseas. Otherwise you might pay an import tax etc. Good hunting, LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I listed everything that had a serial...cameras, binos, sat phone, portable DVD player, guns, etc. I also listed them seperately on forms instead of together. The agent commented on that but I want to be able to show a form for each item as I never know which items I will take. If I travel and the listed item is not with me that could create questions.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
When do I obtain the US Customs form 4457??

4457 does not expire and are good for life basically. So, you can get it at anytime.

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Troy Hibbitts
posted Hide Post
I fly out for Namibia on Sunday at about noon.

What I'm unclear on is do I go in to the airport (San Antonio) like on Friday and declare my items and get my 4457 filled out, and then come back to the airport for the flight, etc . . .

or . . .

Do I fill that stuff out on Sunday morning when I get there?

None of my "instructions" from the Travel Agency or Uncle Sam seems to be very clear on the precise procedure.

Troy

http://thehibbitts.net/
Brackettville, TX

Posts: 282 | Location: Brackettville, TX | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
You might want to call and talk to them about whether they are open on Sunday for that and how long they antcipate it will take. I am a bit paranoid and much prefer to have that done in advance, but it is only a 30-45 minute drive for me.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Troy Hibbitts:
I fly out for Namibia on Sunday at about noon.

What I'm unclear on is do I go in to the airport (San Antonio) like on Friday and declare my items and get my 4457 filled out, and then come back to the airport for the flight, etc . . .

or . . .

Do I fill that stuff out on Sunday morning when I get there?

None of my "instructions" from the Travel Agency or Uncle Sam seems to be very clear on the precise procedure.

Troy

You can fill out the form anytime you want and then take it to the customs office at anytime. Be sure to leave your firearms in your vehicle, in Atlanta the officer comes out to your vehicle to check the firearms and then stamps and signs off on the form. The customs office here is open 7 days a week from 8-5 but be sure to check with your local office on the hours.

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I agree with all of the above, but being a worrier, I'd get on the phone and call the closest customs office (one on the border?), explain what you need and get in the truck and get the form in hand, IMMEDIATELY!

What if the guy who says he'll be at the airport on Sunday calls in sick? Make copies of everything, too, and put them in different places (pants pocket, overnight bag, in gun case...

When going to Africa, I'm a belt and suspenders guy.

I'm not going to Tanzania again until mid-September, but I've updated shots, gotten new 4457's for new guns, applied for visas, sent in the Dutch forms, bought trip insurance and MedJet...

Last year a guy called me at midnight before he was leaving at 10:00 the next day through Amsterdam (and with a $50,000.00 double). He got his form (unbelievably) after some frantic calling to Holland and some immediate faxes, but darn... I like to sleep at night.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7536 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got the phone number of the office at the closest airport, called from my cell when in the parking lot and they told me to bring the firearms in if they were cased (they were). The gal looked at the guns, filled out her portion and I was on my way.

BE SURE TO FILL OUT A SEPERATE 4457 FOR EACH FIREARM OR ITEM.....DO NOT PUT THEM ALL ON ONE.

If you do, and you leave a set of binos or whatever in Africa, you could have serious issues when returning stateside.

Good luck.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can fill out the form anytime you want and then take it to the customs office at anytime.

That is a good way to screw it up. Do it well in advance.

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
I put 4-5 rifles on each 4457. Sometimes the same rifle on more than one 4457. The form is supposed to only be used so that US customs can't charge you fees on Items you didn't purchase abroad. You can put as many items on the form as you can get on it, and there is no requirement to take everything on the forms with you on every trip. Foregn countries do see it as "legal ownership" proof.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I located the Home land security office today locally. The 4457 form was easy and the guy who stamped it was very gracious. He stamped the form and threw a couple of tye wraps into my rifle case. I suggest having the 4457 stamped prior to the flight. I leave first light in the morning (July 4th).
beer

Posts: 209 | Location: Montana | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The customs officer who did my 4457 actually made me a copy and suggested putting it in the gun case. I don't know if the copy would suffice if the actual 4457 was missing, but he seemed to suggest that the copy was a good idea.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I get my Form 4457 done at the US Customs office located just South of the Houston International Airport (George Bush International). Each time I have gotten the form the agents have been extremely helpful and attentive. No fuss no hassle, they understand hunters. I'd say you should hurry to the San Antonio Customs office, give them a phone call first, take your rifles in the trunk of your car and get on down there. They may not even look at your rifles, so all you need to do is provide them with the description and serial numbers. I keep my 4457s in my passport. Good luck and Good Hunting!!
LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My only suggestion would be to get your form lamenated after it is signed. That way you can re-use it and do not have to go through the hassle of getting a new one on your next trip.

Bwana91

Posts: 119 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 05 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted Hide Post
get teh forms done at your earliest convience, don't wait and do it at teh airport on the day you leave. Its another government (we are here to help) agency and all the written rules are fine, EXCEPT it depends on which individual on any particular day and his or her mood on how well they ACTUALLY apply the written directive and how much hassle one goes thru to get a government service successufully completed. Here in Seatle when I did my last set of forms the story "changed" from the time I first went into the office WITHOUT the guns (forms already complete) and the second time I walked back into the office WITH the guns (at the first customs officers direction) and the first guy wasn't there anymore and a second customs agent now walked to the counter and rather abruptly asked why I was bringing (cased) firearms into the office without checking with them first.
Go figure. I did get my forms signed and the guns nor serials numbers were not looked at once.
Will get to go thru the process again before next years trip as I have a new rifle thats going this time and its not listed on any 4457 as yet.

Posts: 576 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana91:
My only suggestion would be to get your form lamenated after it is signed. That way you can re-use it and do not have to go through the hassle of getting a new one on your next trip.

Bwana91

That's good advice. Also, I know the forms can have several items listed but if you might not take all of the items next time then I would not put them all on one form. You probably won't have problems but why risk it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Troy,
Go and get that 4457 right away. The trip to your customs house is no big deal, and it saves hate and discontent to get the job done early and NOT under pressure. The Houston customs house is 90 miles away from me, and I have no problem going there a month ahead of my travel, plus, I have experienced that once you have a 4457 in your passport, getting subsequent 4457s is a breeze. Once you have the forms, they are good for life!
LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote