Find
Notify
Tools

layover time in Joberg
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted
I have a choice in connecting flights upon arrival in Joberg headed for Windhoek. Both connections are with SAA and I arrive @ approx 7 am on arrival day. So the question is, would most of you opt for a 4 hour layover or a 6.5 hour layover. Keep in mind my airlines DO NOT have baggage handling agreement and I have to retrieve my bags from the arriving flight, clear the guns thru the SAPS process (plan on using Air 200 to help with this) and then get checked into the connecting flight to Windhoek?

Posts: 576 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Air2000/Hunters Support says that 3 hours is the "minimum" connection time when clearing rifles into RSA.

So the 4 hour connection should work, assuming it arrives on time that is. I have NEVER arrived on time on an SAA International flight [4 trips/8 flights].

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd take the longer connection. Save the stress, and there are lots worse terminals to spend time in if you have time to wait. Good shopping/browsing in the international side.
Gary

Political correctness entails intolerance for some prejudices but impunity for others. James Taranto

Posts: 152 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have a long layover - and you do not belong to one of the airline clubs - look for the Premier Lounge on the second floor [mezzanine] in the International Terminal. A day fee gets you snacks and drinks and quiet and a seat and internet availability. Not really plush - but better than sitting on the floor in the waitingarea.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bisonhunter1,

Take the longer one. The angst over will I make the next flight or not is not worth it.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12865 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote