THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Tanzania covering up Ebola outbreak?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tanzania covering up Ebola outbreak?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
A little bit scary for it to be in East Africa and of concern for the locals.

UN agency: Tanzania not sharing details on Ebola-like cases

JOHANNESBURG (AP) — The World Health Organization has issued an unusual statement raising questions about whether Tanzania is covering up possible cases of the deadly Ebola virus, a significant cause for concern during a regional outbreak that has been declared a rare global health emergency.

The statement Saturday says Tanzania's government "despite several requests" is refusing to share the results of its investigations into a number of patients with Ebola-like symptoms and is refusing to ship patient samples to an outside WHO partner lab.

Tanzania's government, which has said it has no Ebola cases, could not immediately be reached for comment Sunday. The cases would be the first-ever Ebola infections confirmed in the East African country.

The United Nations health agency says it was made aware on Sept. 10 of the death in Tanzania's commercial capital, Dar es Salaam, of a patient suspected to have Ebola. A day later, it received unofficial reports that an Ebola test had come back positive. On Thursday, it received unofficial reports that a contact of the patient, who had traveled widely in the country, was sick and hospitalized.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/un-...anias-101628408.html

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12534 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This will be interesting to watch unfold...

Playing ostrich isn't a very good tactic, especially with something as infectious as Ebola.

popcorn

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have my doubts about this report.

Especially as they have added that the patient was widely travelled!

If they had said he came from a specific are, I might have believed it.

They added the widely bit to scare people.

I am not worried, we will be there in a few days time.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66923 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I have my doubts about this report.

Especially as they have added that the patient was widely travelled!

If they had said he came from a specific are, I might have believed it.

They added the widely bit to scare people.

I am not worried, we will be there in a few days time.

I thought that the statement about "widely traveled" was about a second patient who had had contact with the initial person who died, and is now hospitalized.

"On Thursday, it received unofficial reports that a contact of the patient, who had traveled widely in the country, was sick and hospitalized."

Although it could possibly be read that the initial patient was widely traveled.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12534 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Saeed: Send Walter there a few days early. If he dies, cancel your trip.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bud Meadows:
Saeed: Send Walter there a few days early. If he dies, cancel your trip.

If Walter goes there, the ebola virus will migrate to Mars! rotflmo

Posts: 66923 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You'd have to go out of your way to get Ebola in a hunting area.

Posts: 10000 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
You'd have to go out of your way to get Ebola in a hunting area.

Absolutely true, but the hysteria associated with Ebola will override common sense.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Didn't know about the bats. Interesting.

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Several books I have read think ebola started in rats.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crane:
Didn't know about the bats. Interesting.

WTF! - There are colonies, literally, of fruit bats roosting in the trees which line the 2 main highways in/out of the city center via Selander Bridge. When caught in the traffic queue you cannot fail to notice entire pods of them hanging from the branches.

Other areas frequented by these bats are the Botanical Gardens/Karimjee Hall.

So yes, if fruit bats are instrumental in transmitting the virus then we have a problem as we face no shortage of these otherwise innocuous creatures which deplete my custard apple trees and shit all over my vehicles. Big Grin

Lots of trucks coming/going from the DRC as well though. Cool

Posts: 1904 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
More details

It's suspicious that the government won't show the test results for the people who died but it wants the WHO to drop the issue. The Government could end the issue with just showing the WHO rep fake test results. We know they have the resources to do that

Frank

One of Us
Picture of Dieseltrucker
posted Hide Post
When I was leaving Dar at end of August, at Terminal 2 there was a big sign for Ebola with the warning and symptoms associated with it and who to contact if you had it. I figured it was TZ just being proactive.

Posts: 240 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: 30 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not read or heard of any Ebola issues here in Arusha. Does not mean there are not any. Just have not heard of any

Tim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didn't know about the bats and rats, but that makes sense. And while that makes it a bit more worrisome and I'll be close to Congo, I'm booked next year and have put this safari off two years because of business conflicts, so I'm going. Odds are still very much on my side.

Posts: 10000 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote