New
Find
Notify
Tools

Emirates baggage
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We’re flying Emirates economy to Harare in August. Tickets were originally bought for 2020.
Reading Emirates web site, they are now saying one carry on up to 7kg, and no personal item.
How strict are they about it? It seems bizarre they my wife doesn’t get a purse or me a little bag for documents and my kindle.
I’m contacting Kathi who did our booking, just wondering what others’ experience has been.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miketaylor
posted Hide Post
Hi Marty,

I am also flying economy with Emirates to Harare in August. I booked my tickets a couple of weeks ago and I didn't see anything mentioning personal items, just that the max weight is 7kg.

Can you point out where it said this on the Emirates website?

With kind regards
Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
Hunting, Fishing & Photographic Safaris Worldwide
+44 7930 524 097
mtaylorsporting@gmail.com
Instagram - miketaylorsporting

Posts: 681 | Location: England  | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
7 Kgs is the established international weight agreed on by all airlines.

Depends on your luck, and the idiot behind the counter, you can get into an argument.

In my travels, I have come across some who do, and many who never bother checking.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66908 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is what I found.
https://airlinesbaggage.com/em...gage-allowance-fees/
No mention of a personal item.

This came out two days ago:

https://travel.state.gov/conte...travel-advisory.html

Not sure where this is going.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just read the Emirates carry-on rules twice. It seems clear that on economy you are only allowed a handbag or laptop and nothing else.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12858 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That’s the way I read it, too.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Emirates in Seattle was such a pain a few years ago I will pass on flying with them again. Yes, 7kg is the limit for a carryon and they weigh it. 7 1/2 kg and you pay $200 for a checked third bag fee. They are not firearm friendly, weigh and inspect ammo, inspect the firearm, a pound over and huge fees. As to the carryon limit, 7kg is about 16 pounds and that is really light if you carry a camera and scope and a few books as gifts. I will go United or Delta from now on. Plus, even though the fares are good on Emirates, the food is excellent, and the stewardessess are hot, I really don't want to visit the Middle East.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Airlines putting this limit on carry on is totally stupid.

What they really should be doing is agreeing on weight limits per class.

That way it is going to be much more fair.

A normal person who weighs 60-70 Kgs pays the same ticket price as a fat slop weighing 150 Kgs or more.

Not fair at all.

Posts: 66908 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

A normal person who weighs 60-70 Kgs pays the same ticket price as a fat slop weighing 150 Kgs or more.

Not fair at all.

Don't you have some sway at Emirates, perhaps you can get them to adopt a reasonable limit on carry-on.

I just don't get Emirates carry-on policy. When looking for flight, great fares come up on Google Flights in Business, but without a carry-on. Add a carry-on and the fare becomes outrageous expensive.

Posts: 751 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wesheltonj:
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Not fair at all.

Don't you have some sway at Emirates, perhaps you can get them to adopt a reasonable limit on carry-on.

I just don't get Emirates carry-on policy. When looking for flight, great fares come up on Google Flights in Business, but without a carry-on. Add a carry-on and the fare becomes outrageous expensive.

As I mentioned above, it is NOT just Emirates.

the 7Kgs limit is set by all airlines.

Who actually checks it or not depends on the person at the time.

By the way, I have nothing to do with Emirates at all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The emirates 15 pound carry on baggage is the biggest joke.

You can buy 100 pounds of duty free and bring it on the plane after they weight the 15 pounds for carry on at baggage check in.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Most crazy thing on this regard happened to me on Qatar Airlines.

I was walking to the plane, on that short tunnel connecting the plane to the airport, traveling First Class.

I was stopped by a lady who wanted to check the weight of my carry on!!??

I was flabbergasted!

I told her, very politely, that whoever sent her to do this should be fired on the spot!

As he is an IDIOT!

I said if you decide that my bag is too heavy, what options do I have.

She went totally quiet, and I left her and carried on.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
If you are a kilo over weight in your carryon, take something out of your bag and put it in your pockets. After you get on the plane, put the items back in your carryon bag.

If you want to bring a small personal bag along with your carryon, clip them together and have them weigh it as one item.

It's not rocket science.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12525 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
I have never ran into this before. Is this new or just on heavily discounted economy tickets? On AA and BA flying international I have been allowed to bring a laptop and a carryon, and they weren't weighed. I am flying Qatar this time so I am glad for your post.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I agree with Saeed. If you’re going to weigh carryons, then start weighing passengers. It’s obviously not a safety weight/balance issue….

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13139 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We’ve flown to Africa several times on Emirates and have not had our carryons weighed, either leaving DFW or returning from Harare/Joburg; however, last November on Qatar out of Joburg they did weigh my wife’s carryon, but not mine. It was well over the 15lb “limit” but the gate agent said nothing about it.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
This is a rule which is not enforced very often.

You just have to be unlucky, or get an idiot at the check in.

In Stockholm, I was flying to Munich, then connecting with Emirates to Dubai.

Flying SAS.

They were checking everyone's, and saw how they made a lady take items from her carry and put into her suitcase.

I refused to have mine weighed.

Saying I KNOW mine is over weight, and I am connecting with Emirates then flying First.

There was all sorts of backwards and forward discussions, ultimately I said fine, I am not flying.

I will take another airline.

The let me on.

Cheap regional airlines have a size basket.

Your carry on has to fit in it, but they have never weighed mine.

One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
The selective weighing for your carry on bags.

I have had my carryon bag weight a few time. As mentioned, I also weight my bag before leaving the house and I know what it weighs. I always take a book to read on the flight, however I am usually through reading it early on the flight. So usually I decide to pick up a magazine or 2 at the airport and add to the bag. Now that puts me over the weight limit when my bag is checked. So I will place some items into my vest pockets to make weight.

As Saeed mentioned, there is a carry on bag check bin to see if your will fit or not.

While your carry on bag may make weight, what get me is someone who is packing a bag that probable weights 50 pounds and would not be close to making the check bin board and their bag was not checked. I have pointed that out to the gate personnel.

I call that selective checking.

Oh yes the duty free purchases, that is not figured into your carryon weight.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1571 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
It boils down to the airlines wanting you to check more weight, so they charge you for it.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
We were getting to Vic Falls airport many years ago.

They had those big round scales with big round dials.

They were weighing everything and anything over 20kgs has to be charged.

Walter walks out as they were checking other passengers ahead of us, brings small rocks.

As it was our turn, he put a rock under the scale.

It would go down to 16kgs.

No more.

He announced very loudly that all our suitcases were weighed, and they are 16kgs each!

The man behind the counter laughed.

His laugh disappeared as soon as he saw the truth - they all weighed 16 kgs.

We left and have no idea how long it took them to see the trick! clap