Find
Notify
Tools

JFK to Windhoek
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ej
posted
Flying SAA from JFK to WDH in September.
I was told my rifles and bags will be checked
all the way thru to WDH. I checked with SAA and they said the same thing as long as I am not overnighting in JNB. ( we have a 4 hour layover in JNB) Has anybody flown this route and did you have any issues ?
Thanks
Ej

Africa Bug " Embrace the bite , live for adventure "
EJ Carter 2011

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did that same route in July of 2010. My rifle and bags were checked thru to WDH. Had no problems at all.

Posts: 617 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have flown that route several times and transited J'berg to Windhoek twice on this last trip. As long as you are transiting (and that includes overnight as long as you don't claim any bags) you don't need to do anything and you don't need to do a SAPS 520 either.

I would strongly recommend: 1)When you initially check your bags and rifle cases that either you or the ticket agent put some kind of identifying mark on the claim tickets to your rifle case(s) 2) Every time you change planes/airports, before you get on the next flight check with the agent at the gate to make sure your bags are on the flight.

On our last trip last month with flew, Tampa - New Jersey - Zurich - J'berg - Windhoek and then Windhoek - J'berg - Frankfurt - Houston - Tampa. Lots of connections and multiple airlines and every time I checked at the gate the bags and rifle tag numbers showed up "in the system" but in every case one or more bags weren't associated with us for some "unexplainable" reason.

You can also fill out the Namibian Temp Import form and have it ready when you claim your rifles in Windhoek.

As an extra precaution you might want to put an extra copy of your 4457's, photo copy of your passport and a copy of your flight schedule inside the case. Some guys even get one of the plastic adhesive backed shipping document pouches and put just a copy of the airline ticket in it and stick it on the outside of the rifle case.

Posts: 572 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ej
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the re-assurance. M3T , good advice already have the copies in my tuffpak.
Thanks
Ej

Africa Bug " Embrace the bite , live for adventure "
EJ Carter 2011