THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Who has actually flown on Ethiopia airlines?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who has actually flown on Ethiopia airlines?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am seriously thinking of a WTF adventure of going to Zambia in about two weeks for a ten day buffalo hunt. The only way to get there is apparently Ethiopian Air. Anyone have any experience with them?

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1846 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FYI:

Make sure you have YOUR e-visa in hand before you go. Ethiopian will require it to board the flight and Zambia will require it for entry into the country. They are not issuing any visas upon arrival in Lusaka as they have in the past.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12850 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have flown them several times, one of my favorites. Great service and nice staff. Cannot address things now that the covid mess is upon us.

Posts: 10120 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I flew with them to Ethiopia this spring.

They have their rules on firearms which require advance approval- but the airline is very helpful once you have that.

I would recommend using a specialty travel agent because of that- I used Gracy.

The planes are clean and (I was in business) pretty roomy seats, but the seat layout is like Delta was 10 years ago, not the current cubby style there.

The food is more traditional Ethiopian style. No pork products.

They seem to be a reasonably well run outfit. I’d have no concerns flying with them again myself.

Posts: 10511 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good airline. Unfortunately, the flight I took originated in Toronto and the United people would not transfer my firearm to the Ethiopian flight as they did not have the relevant "baggage agreement". So check that aspect out as well.

And be sure to use the facilities on the plane before you get off in Addis. You won't want to use them there.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2927 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I flew in Economy on Ethiopian Airlines to Cameroon in February this year. The overall experience was satisfactory, with provisos, but I would fly them again.
My route was Auckland to Dubai on Emirates, then Dubai to Addis Ababa, and Addis Ababa to Douala on Ethiopian.
My major bugbear with Ethiopian was the total communication void my travel agent struck trying to get info on how my firearm would be carried. Not one response to several emails even though we had the required paperwork so in the end I elected to hire a camp rifle, which was a rodeo itself.
Due to connection times I had to overnight in Dubai which was fine. My flight the following morning departed at 4:00am. My check in queue was very slow as most passengers had overflowing baggage carts of stuff to check in and counter clerks were struggling a bit with the sheer volume.
I got to my seat on the plane which was occupied by a big guy who refused to budge despite my polite protests. He wanted to be closer to his buddy across the aisle. I asked the closest stewardess if she would help me. A very petite lady I wasn't expecting to help much greatly surprised me when she launched into this guy, no holds barred. I think he was so surprised he uttered hardly a sound as he leapt from my seat into his own. Result ! ( I conversed with this guy during flight. We got on well. )
Disembarking at Addis Ababa it was clear this was a huge airport undergoing construction. All transit passengers had to shuffle along long lines for security in a partially built room which made the process slow but luckily I had ample time. Security selected me for an extra search but it was pretty benign and the guy was really friendly.
The flight to Douala was straightforward. Unsurprisingly got a pretty basic Economy meal or two. We flew first to Malabo ( on a coastal island offshore from Cameroon ) before the final quick leg to Douala. All these flights were pretty much on schedule.

The outward leg was the more interesting part of the schedule. Checking in at Douala I asked for my bags to be checked through to Auckland ( no overnight in Dubai on this leg ). I asked politely, smiled and said please. I wasn't even sure the clerk was listening as she barely responded and appeared surly. She fussed about for a couple of minutes. Then suddenly she burst into a huge smile telling me all was good to Auckland but I would need to collect my Emirates boarding pass in Dubai. OK, all good so far.
It's not unusual for flights from Cameroon to be off schedule and the Ethiopian flight ex Douala departed about two hours late. I was concerned as this seriously reduced the time window to catch the connecting flight from Addis Ababa to Dubai and I anticipated the slow security check would ruin my chances. The flight landed at Addis Ababa late evening and people surged to disembark onto the tarmac. An Ethiopian rep was assisting passengers at the bottom of the stairs so I asked him if I could still catch my connection. He pushed me aside with an instruction to wait there ! There was quite a bunch of us and this guy was working frantically. Eventually he summoned several buses which arrived double quick and he divided us all onto assigned buses and off we raced. I expected we were heading for the terminal but much to my relief we arrived directly at the back stairs of our plane and bypassed security altogether. A big thumbs up for Ethiopian for this action. This plane departed only slightly late and everything happened so swiftly I suspected there was insufficient time to transfer baggage and that I would be chasing this up after getting home. From arrival at Dubai to departure for Auckland was as smooth as ever. On arrival at Auckland I watched the baggage carousal just for fun and so I could tell baggage claim that my stuff hadn't arrived, only to get a hugely pleasant surprise when my bag actually appeared among the first luggage out. Amazing and unexpected ! Immediately Ethiopian Air rose somewhat in my estimation.
Of the few airlines I have travelled my descending favourites are Air New Zealand, Emirates, and now Ethiopian Air.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1999 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I flew on them last year from Namibia to Addis Abiba and from there to Vienna. I was in business class and it was very comfortable with good service.

For your guns:
Fill out the Ethiopian Airlines firearm permit ahead of time and when the complete it at the airline make sure that they forward it to Addis Ababa where you will transfer. MAKE SURE THAT THEY GIVE YOU A COPY OF THE COMPLETED PAPERWORK WHEN YOU CHECK IN, you will need it in Addis Ababa to check the gun during the transfer. Have extra copies of your US Custom forms 4457 also, as they wanted a copy with my airline forms also.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12512 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the excellent details and advice.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1846 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
My son and I flew Ethiopian, economy class, from JRO to Washington Dulles last December. The flight was fine, clean plane, decent food, nothing to complain about EXCEPT when we had a 3 or so hour layover in Addis, we were finally in line to board our flight and a call came over the PA system for me to see an agent from the airline. Seems there was a problem with my guns, which were checked in at JRO, all the way through to SFO, my final destination.

I was led the length of the airport, then down to ground level and to baggage handling where they wanted to inspect my guns. We argued a bit and I finally relented and opened my tuffpak for inspection. At this point, there were 8 people gathered around me, with all of my and my son’s baggage sitting on the ground. Keep in mind that, by now, the 767 was fully boarded and waiting for me.

After showing them that the guns matched my paperwork, they then wanted to count every round of ammunition. It was obvious that I was simply being shaken down for a bribe, and after all the weather related problems we’d endured just to get out of Maswa, I was in no mood to put up with their crap. I’d had more than enough, so I pulled out a pen and paper and demanded the names and ID number of everyone, starting with the manager. When he inquired as to why I was demanding that information, I replied that I would be filing complaints about all of them with the airline, as well as US Embassy to Ethiopia and Ethiopian Embassy to the USA. That stopped them dead in their tracks. The manager replied that they didn’t want any trouble and directed that my baggage all be placed on the plane immediately.

After that, by the time we walked clear back across the airport so I could board the flight, we departed 45 minutes late. I wonder what it cost to have that jumbo jet sitting there idling while those idiots tried to shake me down?

Other than that airport incident in Addis Abbaba, the Ethiopian flight was fine, no problems.

Posts: 3842 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
My son and I flew Ethiopian, economy class, from JRO to Washington Dulles last December. The flight was fine, clean plane, decent food, nothing to complain about EXCEPT when we had a 3 or so hour layover in Addis, we were finally in line to board our flight and a call came over the PA system for me to see an agent from the airline. Seems there was a problem with my guns, which were checked in at JRO, all the way through to SFO, my final destination.

I was led the length of the airport, then down to ground level and to baggage handling where they wanted to inspect my guns. We argued a bit and I finally relented and opened my tuffpak for inspection. At this point, there were 8 people gathered around me, with all of my and my son’s baggage sitting on the ground. Keep in mind that, by now, the 767 was fully boarded and waiting for me.

After showing them that the guns matched my paperwork, they then wanted to count every round of ammunition. It was obvious that I was simply being shaken down for a bribe, and after all the weather related problems we’d endured just to get out of Maswa, I was in no mood to put up with their crap. I’d had more than enough, so I pulled out a pen and paper and demanded the names and ID number of everyone, starting with the manager. When he inquired as to why I was demanding that information, I replied that I would be filing complaints about all of them with the airline, as well as US Embassy to Ethiopia and Ethiopian Embassy to the USA. That stopped them dead in their tracks. The manager replied that they didn’t want any trouble and directed that my baggage all be placed on the plane immediately.

After that, by the time we walked clear back across the airport so I could board the flight, we departed 45 minutes late. I wonder what it cost to have that jumbo jet sitting there idling while those idiots tried to shake me down?

Other than that airport incident in Addis Abbaba, the Ethiopian flight was fine, no problems.

I was warned about this sort of thing from Travel with Guns. If I go this year it will be in October so I am hoping that Emirates will be flying to Lusaka by then.

Thanks for the info.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Gunscore, I can’t print some of the things I told them, but suffice it to say I was describing various lewd acts they could perform on themselves. I was livid after all we endured just to get to Addis. But, they did not get one dime from me and everything showed up in San Francisco.

Posts: 3842 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gunscore, I can’t print some of the things I told them, but suffice it to say I was describing various lewd acts they could perform on themselves. I was livid after all we endured just to get to Addis. But, they did not get one dime from me and everything showed up in San Francisco.

I love it! Great plan.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3429 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GunsCore:
I am seriously thinking of a WTF adventure of going to Zambia in about two weeks for a ten day buffalo hunt. The only way to get there is apparently Ethiopian Air. Anyone have any experience with them?

Come for a month. Give me a shout and I will buy you a beer. Let me know if you need accomodation.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9852 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
Originally posted by GunsCore:

Come for a month. Give me a shout and I will buy you a beer. Let me know if you need accomodation.

I wish I could come for a month. Once I retire in about 7-8 years it will be possible so keep the beer cold and thanks for your kind offer.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

It sounds like it might be prudent to let the US Embassy in Addis Abba know your travel plans (with sporting arms) and have their number in your phone that you can show the airport personnel.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm currently scheduled to fly to JRO via Amsterdam on KLM (they just resumed this service today!) Because of the iffyness of KLM we've been looking at alternatives (Ethiopian and Qatar). I was told that TWG can arrange the services of a gun concierge in Addis. As a blanket statement - any time you travel with guns in Africa you are vulnerable. FAR better to have a gun concierge handle it. Just for the peace of mind it is worth every penny.

Posts: 477 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnDL:
I'm currently scheduled to fly to JRO via Amsterdam on KLM (they just resumed this service today!) Because of the iffyness of KLM we've been looking at alternatives (Ethiopian and Qatar). I was told that TWG can arrange the services of a gun concierge in Addis. As a blanket statement - any time you travel with guns in Africa you are vulnerable. FAR better to have a gun concierge handle it. Just for the peace of mind it is worth every penny.

If I were flying Ethiopian through Addis again, I would do this without hesitation.

One of Us
Picture of SIKA98K
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by JohnDL:

If I were flying Ethiopian through Addis again, I would do this without hesitation.

Having been through Addis Ababa with Ethiopian half a dozen times with firearms I really don’t see the point of a gun concierge. Nor may I add have I ever been shaken down for a tip/bribe to expedite matters.
The process seems to involve matching up that You are the legal owner of That firearm. Our passports and European Firearms Passes have always been checked against our faces.
So regardless of whether we had been travelling First class or cattle class it was the same procedure

Posts: 456 | Location: Ireland | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just flew thru Addis on Ethiopian last week. Told them at our gate we had firearms the took us to baggage and checked our guns. They did want a copy of passport and Zambian gun permit so you should have them along. Wasn’t anyone trying to bribe us, back to gate on time easily for flight

Posts: 76 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am booked to hunt in Zambia and am flying Ethiopian out of Los Angeles (United to DC) October 14th but have decided to use my Outfitter's camp 375 so I will skip all the hassles of travelling with firearms. I have used camp guns before but only for plains game hunts. This will be for buffalo and maybe a leopard so I am bit more hesitant but with Covid and some of the stories I have read here I am just going to eliminate travel with guns as an issue. I will file an extensive hunt report upon my return.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!