THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    United vs Delta to Johannesburg

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

United vs Delta to Johannesburg
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Will be purchasing tickets for a party of 5 soon. Traveling from Georgia. Delta is by far the most convenient for us but it’s a bit expensive especially in the business class.

I understand United is flying direct from Newark. Has anybody taken this route recently? If so, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Right now Savannah to Newark to JNB RT in business class on United is only a few bucks more than the Delta Premium Select section from ATL

Thanks for sharing your experiences

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just had a client on the United Newark-JNB route. It was a complete clusterfuck and the United customer service was abysmal. This guy had a worst experience of any of my clients have ever had on the way to Africa. He was misinformed, lied to and they tried to route him through Jerusalem. How do you think he'd fare traveling with guns there?

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12841 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Eeker Eeker Eeker

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I flew Newark to Jo'burg twice this past summer. No problem with the flights. Coming back my connecdtion was too short as clearing customs took too long and I missed my flight. No problems wiht United and both times I came back with a third checked bag and was not charged for it. Service and food was fine.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WVFred
posted Hide Post
I was the client Mark spoke of and to top it off they lost my rifle in Chicago on my way home.
Never again will I use United!

DRSS Member

Posts: 898 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flipper Dude
posted Hide Post
Houston to Newark to JNB and back in August. 3 peeps. 2 with rifles. No issues at all

Posts: 255 | Location: Huffman, TX.  | Registered: 04 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Going to take this route in three weeks. First class is only $3,600. Delta is twice that. Even though I live in Atlanta, the price difference is worth the extra travel to Newark.

Posts: 59 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 10 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Hell, everybody is cheaper than Delta!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13096 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WVFred:
I was the client Mark spoke of and to top it off they lost my rifle in Chicago on my way home.

Details of how you found your rifle? Or, is it still lost?

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WVFred
posted Hide Post
Cal,
It was sent to my home the next day by a delivery company. No one could tell me where it was they just said probably at pier 21 in Chicago.

DRSS Member

Posts: 898 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Took this route home in June with guns. Returning from JNB expect to have your ammo in its own container and little issues on weight for bags. They seem to be ex SAA employees and follow that airlines protocols. Being top tier travelers with them doesn’t carry any weight.

Newark is screwed up on the return. Unless something has drastically changed and by reports it has not, expect 2-4 hours getting your guns through customs and TSA.

My guns never made my flight even though they were supposedly hand carried. They tried to send them on the wrong flight. They did arrive at my home by courier 8 hours later.

Seats are as good as Delta unless Delta has upgraded their business class. Flew delta recently and it was still the old style pods. It’s not Emirates or Qatar but it’s worth the money if you can afford it.

Get a service in JNB it often is worth the time and hassle. Don’t tip everybody in sight $20.00. Anne at Air 2000 is always a great help.

Posts: 394 | Location: Tennessee, North Carolina | Registered: 01 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would never fly American Airlines or United. I have been burned too many times.

I used to think that I was 'saving' some money. That thought could not have been further from the truth.

Posts: 2634 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I second Jason
I fly Delta and that’s it unless not available
And when it comes to Emirates and others, minimal differences and with the clusterfuck with guns there and back
It will be long time before I take guns out of US
Hunting is what we love and guns are just tool…

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had no problems with United. I flew Chicago to Newark and on to JB. Check in at ORD was painless and I was at my gate in 45 minutes from time of arrival. Never checked my rifles or ammo either. They just took them behind their counters and ran my case through a scanner. I was on to security and to my gate. The flights were without incident and on time. The food was even good.

Posts: 488 | Location: WI | Registered: 31 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Interesting, we only have American and United for carriers here in Bakersfield so Delta's not an option for me.

I've flown to Africa five times on United with connections in JFK, Newark, and Washington DC and the only problem that I've ever had was missing a short connection in DC that United got me rebooked on an hour later.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
I second Jason
I fly Delta and that’s it unless not available
And when it comes to Emirates and others, minimal differences and with the clusterfuck with guns there and back
It will be long time before I take guns out of US
Hunting is what we love and guns are just tool…

Yep, a rifle is just a tool.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
You lot who use borrowed guns don't know some of us feel about ours.

I equate this to eating.

I have given up eating out, as practically all restaurants now are so impressed with "healthy" and "trendy" food, I gave up.

There is absolutely nothing compares to cooking my own steak on our BBQ by our pool.

Hunting is just like that.

I have built my own rifle.

I have designed my own cartridge.

I have made my own bullets.

It is a family member, and sharing a hunt with it brings a lot more enjoyment than a run of the mill factory gun rented from camp.

As the old saying goes "if you are unaware of it, you don't know what you are missing" clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66694 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
You lot who use borrowed guns don't know some of us feel about ours.

It is a family member, and sharing a hunt with it brings a lot more enjoyment than a run of the mill factory gun rented from camp.

As the old saying goes "if you are unaware of it, you don't know what you are missing" clap

Not to mention some of us lefty's would rather not shoot right handed guns with a righty cast.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
I would use a camp gun if I had no choice,I would probably not go on such a hunt if it could be avoided,I load for & practice with my rifle of choice for any particular hunt,I shoot a lot,I get comfortable with my gun,I know it's dependable,accurate & it will not let me down,using a camp gun?just has no appeal to me,calling my gun a tool thumbdown ? sorry but I don't like Blasers either Big Grin

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
So a Blaser camp rifle wouldn’t cut it, eh? rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:

Fred: Did you recover your rifle by the time you returned home? How was your hunt in Zambia? Regards, UEG

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
So a Blaser camp rifle wouldn’t cut it, eh? rotflmo

Not on your life jumpingthat's one fugly tool flame

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just checked today for a round trip from Sioux Falls SD to JB thru Atlanta and the price came up at 1180.00 this was thru Priceline for next April 2022 on Delta both ways

Posts: 196 | Location: Stickney,So Dakota | Registered: 12 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hydehunter:
I just checked today for a round trip from Sioux Falls SD to JB thru Atlanta and the price came up at 1180.00 this was thru Priceline for next April 2022 on Delta both ways

Just for grins I checked CheapoAir and they have flights on American / Qatar for $902 depending on the exact day. I like to use CheapOair because you can sort flights by airline alliance for the air miles.

American Airlines
Flight 4354
Mon, Apr 04 03:59pm
Sioux Falls, FSD
05:45pm Chicago OHare, ORD
Mon, Apr 04
Cabin: Coach

American Airlines
Flight 8126 Aircraft 777
Flight Duration: 13h 30m
Mon, Apr 04
07:50pm Chicago OHare, ORD
05:20pm next day
Doha, DOH
Tue, Apr 05
Layover: 3h 20m
Qatar Airways
Flight 1365 Aircraft 359
Flight Duration: 8h 20m
Tue, Apr 05 08:40pm
Doha, DOH
04:00am next day
Johannesburg, JNB
Wed, Apr 06
Total Trip Duration: 29h 1m

Return Wed, Apr 13
Qatar Airways
Flight 1364 Aircraft 788
Flight Duration: 8h 20m
Wed, Apr 13 01:50pm
Johannesburg, JNB 11:10pm
Doha, DOH
Wed, Apr 13
Layover: 2h 0m
American Airlines
Flight 8139 Aircraft 777
Flight Duration: 16h 30m
Thu, Apr 14 01:10am
Doha, DOH 09:40am
Dallas Fort Worth, DFW
Thu, Apr 14
Layover: 2h 40m
American Airlines
Flight 5794 Aircraft CR9
Flight Duration: 2h 4m
Thu, Apr 14 12:20pm
Dallas Fort Worth, DFW 02:24pm
Sioux Falls, FSD
Thu, Apr 14
Mesa Airlines As American Eagle
Total Trip Duration: 31h 34m

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I simply can’t imagine why someone would fly United via Newark or Delta via ATL. More expensive and poorer service. Granted it shaves 7-8 hours off the trip but at the expense of more money. What is your comfort worth??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just did the united thong.....Newark to jnb.....it wasn't a bad way to go. United's version of economy comfort was better than delta's......

I've done qatar......ill take the shorter travel thanks.

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
I can only afford to go first or business class by using airline miles. That means flying American or one of their partners and often connecting through Heathrow. Use of the Concord Room does make the layover easier to handle, but it nixes taking my guns. Next year I will get to try Qatar business class on the return flight.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 632 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just flew United, Newark to Jnb. Was actually quite nice. Economy was so empty that I had three seats to myself. Courteous staff.

Posts: 556 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After Emirates and Delta cancelled flights earlier this year the United option came in half of Qatar for a party of 8. Business was on par with Delta.

Emirates is my first choice into Zim. Outgoing two of us were on Ethiopian and the transfer in Addis really was that bad, a bit concerning, but turned out okay.

Posts: 394 | Location: Tennessee, North Carolina | Registered: 01 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of robncolorado
posted Hide Post
Wife and I are booked on United from Durango CO through Newark to JNB - Business Class $4500 RT in April of 2022.

For years I've heard horror stories about BA, SA, etc. Seems you only hear of the bad trips. My experience on BA through London with firearms to JNB, and Lusaka, 4 different times has always been fine.

I have a 5 hour layover on return into Newark, so I'm hopeful customs has there act together by the time we go.

Posts: 558 | Location: Durango, CO | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Has anyone flown United from Newark, with firearms, where Newark was your departure airport? If so what was the procedure for checking in with firearms? NJ is a very anti gun state.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2282 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just booked ATL-JNB on Delta for a June 2022 trip. It was cheaper than United for Economy comfort. Did Qatar last year, can't say a bad thing about the trip other than it was looooooong.

Posts: 151 | Location: NC | Registered: 11 September 2007Reply With Quote