New
Find
Notify
Tools

Domestic gun case handling
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi all. Would appreciate your thoughts on an upcoming hunt. I have almost always flown Delta hunting in the US and Africa and have never had any significant problem checking a large SKB double rifle case. Looks like I’ll need to use American or United traveling Atlanta to Miidland TX. Should I expect any problem with that case on those airlines?
Thanks to any with experience or advise.
Larry

Posts: 369 | Location: Atlanta.GA | Registered: 07 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Larry, you should be fine.

Same airline check in and gun case scan. they usually ask me to stand by in case they want to open the case for inspection. they always do, put there card in it and bring the key back to me.

I have experienced different handling at different airports. all have been some what smooth. some times TSA guys just want to see what kind of gun you are shipping. happens with my break down trap guns. they justice to look.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1558 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Bwana. Just trying to avoid any surprises.
I appreciate your response.

Posts: 369 | Location: Atlanta.GA | Registered: 07 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I flew on American in October DFW to Pierre, SD with two shotguns, no problems whatsoever. Didn’t even have to go to TSA, agent watched me put the firearms declaration in the case and then put it on the baggage conveyor. Said if TSA had issues that they would find me. Could be different thru Atlanta, though.
Good luck on your hunt.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2710 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I've flown a ton on United with my Pelican double rifle case without an issue.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12500 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
I just went to Rapid City, SD with United. Two shotguns in a case. TSA wanted to hand inspect the long guns, and they did. I put the paperwork in the case and that was it at both ends.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all. I have limited experience with those airlines. I appreciate the replies from those that have flown with guncases with them.
Thank you !
Larry