THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Checking firearms through with multiple carriers

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Checking firearms through with multiple carriers
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted
In November I am flying United from Dulles to Bucharest, then from Bucharest to Istandbul and then back to Dulles via Brussels.

The flight over is a United flight to Frankfurt and the connecting flight to Bucharest is Luftansa. From Bucharest to Istanbul is Turkish, Istanbul to Brussels and then to Dulles.

How do the connecting carriers handle the checked thru firearms? I am assuming Luftansa will know about the firearms since it will be inline. I am wondering if I need to notify Luftansa in advance..

I have checked firearms with Turkish before with no issues and I do not expect problems inline at Brussels with United but have no experience with Luftansa..

Going to call United and ask but hoping someone here has experienced this scenario before..

I used airmiles to book First Class the entire trip otherwise I would have used TWG and probably would not have these questions :-)

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will need to check the firearm requirements with each carrier. Most likely you will have to collect your firearm at each transfer airport and then check in with the next carrier. While many airlines code share, they do not all handle firearms in the same manner and therefore will not check your firearms straight through to your final destination. In addition, you stand a better chance of arriving with your firearms if you collect and recheck them. This also eliminates the finger pointing should something disappear.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
You will need to check the firearm requirements with each carrier. Most likely you will have to collect your firearm at each transfer airport and then check in with the next carrier. While many airlines code share, they do not all handle firearms in the same manner and therefore will not check your firearms straight through to your final destination. In addition, you stand a better chance of arriving with your firearms if you collect and recheck them. This also eliminates the finger pointing should something disappear.

I'm thinking that might be the case.. Really only worried about Luftansa - I planned ahead and have an 8 hr layover in Frankfurt :-) I have to check in with Turkish anyway and Brussels onto United should be easy...

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote