THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    United announces new direct flights to Africa

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

United announces new direct flights to Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted
United has just announced (without start dates) daily non-stops between Newark and Johannesburg. Status of the previously announced Newark-Capetown direct flights isn't clear.

From: https://viewfromthewing.com/un...ore-accra-and-lagos/

"United plans to fly Washington Dulles – Accra three times weekly with a Boeing 787-8 beginning in Spring 2021. They also plan to add Washington Dulles – Lagos.

And the big reveal is that they’re going to operate Newark – Johannesburg daily year-round non-stop with a Boeing 787-9. This pushes the limits of the 787-9’s capabilities, but United offers that they’ve been working on technology enhancements from Boeing and with GE on engines to enable the aircraft to operate the route. which is about 170 miles longer than Newark – Capetown. With South African Airways collapsing, there’s an opportunity to displace the Star Alliance carrier in the market.

United had previously served Lagos from the legacy Continental Houston hub, connecting energy markets. They see the Washington Dulles flight as better able to capture connecting traffic from the Northeast as well as being a natural connecting point from Houston."

Posts: 675 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wonder how Newark will work with firearms?

Posts: 41768 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:

I agree, as they would not carry them to Cape Town last year.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
That's the big question. New Jersey is a very anti gun state.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2292 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Terry Blauwkamp:
quote:

I would have thought that if you started in, say, Michigan, and checked your luggage all the way through, that New Jersey regulations wouldn't be the issue.

Terry - was that your situation? But United wouldn't carry rifles on that flight? Did they give any reason?

One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
United plans India, Africa flights to diversify route map

By Justin Bachman
WP Bloomberg
Posted
9/10/2020 8:38 AM
United Airlines Holdings will add new nonstop flights to Africa and India to serve customers visiting friends and relatives, as the carrier revamps an international network beset by weak business traffic.

Destinations such as Lagos, Nigeria, and Bangalore, India, will focus on large diasporas living in the U.S. and will give United greater network diversity, said Patrick Quayle, vice president of international network and alliances. Traffic from trips to see friends and family has withstood the coronavirus pandemic better than other segments, particularly corporate travel, he said.

"It's us rebuilding our network in a new way," Quayle said. "We're not just going to put the chess pieces back on the board the way they used to be."

Most of the new routes reflect United's plans for a smaller North Atlantic schedule in summer 2021, given heavy travel restrictions imposed by the U.S. and European governments. The airline expects that its European schedule next summer will largely reflect the capacity it has deployed this fall, Quayle said. Internationally, United will fly about 40% of its 2019 schedule next month.

United in December will begin a daily nonstop from Chicago to New Delhi followed by a daily San Francisco-Bangalore flight in early 2021, the company said in statement Wednesday. American Airlines Group Inc. also plans a new flight to the southern India tech hub in 2021, from Seattle.

Next year, United plans new service three times a week from Washington to Lagos and to Accra, Ghana, as well as a new daily flight from Newark, New Jersey, to Johannesburg. That flight will complement seasonal service from Newark to Cape Town that United began in December 2019.

Delta Air Lines Inc. serves Johannesburg nonstop from Atlanta and both Accra and Lagos from New York's John F. Kennedy International. In October, Delta will add a seasonal one-stop Cape Town flight on its service from Johannesburg to Atlanta. State-owned South African Airways is insolvent and hasn't operated for more than five months.

On Thursday, United will also begin its first nonstop from Chicago to Tel Aviv, operating three times a week. El Al Israel Airlines had planned to start that route in March, just as the pandemic began decimating international travel.

For the summer of 2021, United expects that Hawaii will become a favored destination and will add four weekly nonstops from Chicago to Kona on the Big Island and from Newark to Maui.

Hawaii essentially closed its tourism industry this year by requiring a 14-day self-quarantine upon arrival. The state tentatively plans to resume tourism Oct. 1 for visitors with proof of a negative coronavirus test.

"We've seen it in our data -- there's a lot of demand for Hawaii," Quayle said.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1571 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hannay:
quote:
Originally posted by Terry Blauwkamp:
quote:

I would have thought that if you started in, say, Michigan, and checked your luggage all the way through, that New Jersey regulations wouldn't be the issue.

Terry - was that your situation? But United wouldn't carry rifles on that flight? Did they give any reason?

I would think the problem with guns in NJ would be on the return when you had to claim all luggage and recheck it.......

Posts: 41768 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
So they are helping hunters get to RSA easier, but won’t let them bring their buffalo back?

One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
So they are helping hunters get to RSA easier, but won’t let them bring their buffalo back?

You forget, take lots of pictures.. be the photo tourist.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1571 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:

I would think the problem with guns in NJ would be on the return when you had to claim all luggage and recheck it.......

If it is like at Atlanta should not be a problem. You just go to a TSA station and hand over the firearms for them to do a chemical sniff and then put on the conveyor. Problems at NJ mostly has been with handguns and people checking them in at the counter not transit flights.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If there is any other option, I would not fly United.

And don't.

Posts: 541 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
United stood me up at PDX once, told me I couldn't check my rifle to Zimbabwe because the connecting flight (on Ethiopian) did not carry guns. That proved to be false, Ethiopian has no problem with guns. Since then I have not flown United and never will.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2927 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Russ, Here is a funny, true story about United.
A few years ago, a small acoustic band flew United and the airline broke one of their guitars. United wouldn't pay for the guitar so the band wrote a song about it that went viral on youtube. United paid.
See video below. Brian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is another one they wrote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P45E0uGVyeg

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have only used United once on multiple trips to Africa, and that was only on a leg from San Antonio to Houston. When it comes to handling firearms they have their heads totally up their ass. They also broke the lock on my TuffPak on the return leg. If you want more details PM me.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 482 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I've flown United - SAA connection to Africa four times through London and Newark with no problems with guns.

I also saw in the airline trade papers that Lufthansa is adding flights to Windhoek. So you can book from anywhere that Lufthansa flies to connect to Namibia.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12537 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks good that Luftwaffe will have direct flights to Namibia in times to come. Always wanted to go to Namibia but disliked the Jo’burg part.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jens poulsen:
Looks good that Luftwaffe will have direct flights to Namibia in times to come. Always wanted to go to Namibia but disliked the Jo’burg part.

I flew Amsterdam-Windhoek in 2017. With the caveat that I wasn't traveling with firearms, I thought it worked very well. You stop in Luanda, but never get off the plane, so no hassles.