New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ammo weight, case included
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have never had a trouble flying anywhere Africa with ammo. I may be 13# or so but that is total weight, including the case. Never been an issue with being over 11#. That has always been on SAA. Flying this time on Emirates. Same story, ammo is just under 11#, total with pelican case is 13#. Anybody have experience with this on Emirates. Flying out of Washington Dulles

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My last trip I flew Alaska Air from Salt Lake City to Seattle, then Emirates from Salt Lake to Dubai to Harare. Emirates actually weighed my ammunition box in Seattle. The limit is 11 pounds total including the box. That is the first time it had ever been weighed on 5 trips to Africa and 2 trips to Australia. I bought a small waterproof plastic box that will hold 4 20-round boxes. It has 2 places for locks so I use small TSA locks and put 2 spares inside. I had 40 rounds of .375 H&H and 40 rounds of 9.3x62 and the total weight was easily under the limit. I put the box inside my checked bag but sometimes SAA has had me take it out so they could tag it as a separate piece of baggage.

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Last time I flew Emirates they requested number of rounds and total weight per box of the ammunition. Not the box the ammunition is secured in. They were specific about that. I provided that information with my firearms information several weeks before the flight. Everything went very smooth from check in to return.

Safe travels.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
A few years ago, on Virgin to Australia, 40 rounds (for a hunt and a shoot south of Darwin) was just under 11 pounds but in the case it was 13 pounds. Here's what happened:
1. Ammo is too heavy so it can't come on the plane.
2. Ammo alone was weighed under 11 but the employee said it was total weight-i.e. withthe case.
3. A manager came over and said I had the option of removing some on the ammo to maek weight.
4. When he would not take the few roudns or removed ammo and (was in LA and far from home) he called his supervisor.
5. Supervisor made a "one time" exception and allowed the total weight to go over 11 pounds when he saw the complete weight issue. He made it clear he would do this once and another supervisor may not do so.

Lesson: I keep all ammo and the case at under 11 pounds. Because of this I did not have a problem in Seattle boarding Emirates.

Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately airlines counter workers are trained that weight restrictions are by the total weight, case/bag included and that is all they know.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just flew Emirates and SAA from Houston to Bulawayo for a hunt at the BVC.

I just got the ammo out and put it on the scale. I've made about 10 trips over and never had them try to include the box.

Don't even ask them about the case. Just get the ammo out and put it on the scale.

With Emirates I had to file some paperwork ahead of time, but it didn't take much effort.

TBD

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1284 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I flew Emirates last year and they weighed my ammo not the Pelican case it was carried in. She actually asked me if it would make weight in the case so I didn’t have to remove it and I told her it would not, so she had me remove it.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With airlines you never know.

I have never been charged with an oversize baggage fee for my checked gun case, but recently I heard were a hunter got stuck with the extra fee. Don't remember the airline, but forewarned is forearmed.

I once had a dingy United clerk tell me that I had to have a lock on every locking point on my gun case. Now where is that written down?

When traveling with guns and/or ammo, I always print out the most recent copy of each airlines rules regarding firearms and ammo. I carry it with me, make sure I am in compliance, and use it as proof if I run into a weird airline employee. Same thing for TSA.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I flew Emirates Seattle .Dubai to Harare last year and they weighed the Ammo without the Container.

Posts: 2328 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never had it weighed in many trips

Posts: 2537 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
They always ask about the weight, and I tell them 5Kgs.

I have a metal container with with a sign IATA APPROVED, EMPTY WEIGHT XXXXX.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66936 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
it is who you get to deal with kind of thing.

every one is different.

in joberg last week, i was asked to remove my ammo box to be weighed and did so and it made weight. no issues only 2 boxes of ammo and a bottle of rum. well i needed to let it ship separate. the other man in our group had his weighted and was able to put his back in his luggage. same person for each of us.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1575 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good policy having Airline rules in writing settles a lot of arguments with some angry anti hunting clerk . My understanding is it is the weight of amo only but still I make sure amo and box is under 5 kgs still can carry about 80 rounds of 375 more than enough .

quote:
Originally posted by BuffHunter63:
With airlines you never know.

I have never been charged with an oversize baggage fee for my checked gun case, but recently I heard were a hunter got stuck with the extra fee. Don't remember the airline, but forewarned is forearmed.

I once had a dingy United clerk tell me that I had to have a lock on every locking point on my gun case. Now where is that written down?

When traveling with guns and/or ammo, I always print out the most recent copy of each airlines rules regarding firearms and ammo. I carry it with me, make sure I am in compliance, and use it as proof if I run into a weird airline employee. Same thing for TSA.

BH63

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dieseltrucker
posted Hide Post
Let me add a twist. Doing TZ in a week hunting everything but lion and ele. Taking wife, 2 rifles and 100 rounds. Have rounds divided in 2 pelicans. Put one pelican in her checked and one in mine. I am flying Qatar. I see it as no different than anyone else flying with me with ammo?
thoughts?

Posts: 240 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: 30 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
I take it that your wife is hunting and has a rifle in her name. So you will be checking two gun case and matching ammunition in your and her checked luggage. that should be no problem then.

However:

If she is not hunting or have a rifle permit, I would check to make sure that she is does not get in too much trouble transporting your ammunition for doing you a favor.

so you have done this already. have you done this for your wife?

Application for your firearm import permit for Tanzania must be made in advance so that it is at the airport on your arrival. If it is not, you will not be allowed to take your firearms out of the airport.

Application will be made on your behalf by the outfitter.

Application Documents
Copy of passport photograph/details page.
Copy of proof of ownership of firearm. US Customs Form 4457 for US hunters or Firearm Licence/Permit for hunters of other nationalities. Both documents must include the firearms you intend bringing into Tanzania.
6 passport photographs. (If sending via email, 1 photo will do)
NEW 2016. You will now be required to supply photographs of the firearm(s) with photographs of their serial numbers.
Your outfitter will ask you to send the above documents to him either via email or post. He will also need to know:

Exact number of rounds of ammunition to be brought into Tanzania.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1575 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What kind of container are you guys using for the ammo case? Does it need to be locked even though it will be inside of your checked bag? Seems to me it does, as some of you were forced to check the ammo case separately.
I have Ammo cases but they're a bit late for only 80 rounds, and when packing, space is at a premium.

Posts: 169 | Location: So Cal, ....USA | Registered: 25 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Just got back about a week ago flying Emirates out of Houston.

Both in Houston and in Harare, Emirates weighed and counted my ammo, but not the ammo box.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had it weighted before and the box counted and I had to split it up and give some to another person travelig with me.

quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
Unfortunately airlines counter workers are trained that weight restrictions are by the total weight, case/bag included and that is all they know.

That is also my experience.
But the weight is often not checked at the airport.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just came back from an emirates trip and they insisted on no more than 3kgs of ammo - including the case! It was a real hassle. I had exactly the same "fun" at both ends (SEA and JNB).

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rodell:
I just came back from an emirates trip and they insisted on no more than 3kgs of ammo - including the case! It was a real hassle. I had exactly the same "fun" at both ends (SEA and JNB).

3kgs?? Isn't the limit 5kgs?

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by farbedo:
quote:
Originally posted by rodell:

3kgs?? Isn't the limit 5kgs?

Jeremy

Yeah, well, let's not let the facts get in the way of an unwritten rule. Fortunately, I had only 40 rounds of 9.3x62, but it was in a small Pelican case.

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote