THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Travel to Alberta and back - any recommendations

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Travel to Alberta and back - any recommendations
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am making my air arrangements for travel to Alberta for a moose hunt and was hoping someone with recent experience could give a few tips.

My concerns -

I should fly into Grande Prairie. This will require a stop first at either Calgary or Edmonton. This first stop will be in the import point as far the firearm correct? So my plans should leave plenty of time to get my temporary import permit. I am thinking a few hours to be safe or in case a plane is late?

If I should happen to be successful and wish to carry back the meat, there is a processor that can flash freeze. From the latest info I was provided, all I will need is the hunting license to bring it across the US border at the airport?

I will be hunting in the middle of November the week of the US Thanksgiving. It is roughly the same cost to fly to Edmonton and drive 4 hours than fly to Grande Prairie. Any local information on Hwy 43 at this time of year? I assume it is always open and readily driveable other than a freak storm? For a guy from LouisianaSmiler

Thanks for any input.

One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
Flown thru Edmonton many times with firearms. They are very use to Americans with guns. I believe you can get permit online before arrival.
Also, returning is not a problem as you clear US customs before leaving Edmonton.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
metalman29

I would allow 3 hours on both ends to gather baggage, clear customs and get you guns inspected.

I think in late November I'd forget the rental car and fly. Driving in snow and ice takes some getting used to. if you do rent a vehicle make sure you get a 4x4.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12865 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a Canadian I find Calgary a better place to fly into with guns. There are 2-3 butchers in and around Grande Prairie, but been hunting season you may not get you meat cut for a week to ten days. There a good one in Grovedale that really caters to hunters. Ask you Guide about this. Barton’s Big Country is the best gun shop in town

Member NRA, NFA,CSSA,DSC,SCI,AFGA

Posts: 266 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana1:
Flown thru Edmonton many times with firearms. They are very use to Americans with guns. I believe you can get permit online before arrival.

Read the directions and follow them exactly. Fill out the permit but DO NOT SIGN. You sign when they tell you to in their presence.

Also, returning is not a problem as you clear US customs before leaving Edmonton.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ryry4
posted Hide Post
Hwy 43 can be a crap shoot in November. I've driven it in summer like conditions and I've been in blizzards and black ice.

If you aren't used to what Alberta can throw at you my recommendation would be to fly to Grande Prairie.

Posts: 171 | Location: Alberta, Canukistan. | Registered: 08 April 2010Reply With Quote