Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Transiting Addis Ababa
 Login/Join

posted
I am planing a hunting trip to Zimbabwe for next year march/april.
I am from Zurich and plan to fly from Geneva via Addis Ababa to Harare.
Does anybody has experience fling with a gun with Ethiopian Airlines and what is the procedure for transferring Addis Ababa?
Which information have to be submitted to the airline and if necessary respective local authorities?
Thanks a lot in advance
Florian

Posts: 30 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
There is some recent information on this in a couple other threads. A search will turn up everything you need to know. You’ll check your guns all the way through to Harare, but will still have to meet with airline personnel in Addis for inspection of your guns and ammo. Be sure to do that shortly after you land in Addis.

Ethiopian Airlines has been generally positive reviews from most traveling hunters.

Posts: 3828 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Airline and people were fine. Getting pulled off my flight once seated and rushed into a dark dungeon in Addis Ababa to inspect my rifle and go over paperwork wasn't much fun. So dark I had to use my cell phone light to show them the papers. Once the five workers seemed satisfied I was rushed to the tarmac then rushed in a little bus to my plane, I was rushed up the stairs and the plane was moving before I was seated.

I was sure my rifle case and luggage would miss the flight, as they weren't on the little bus with me. I also received some odd looks after boarding and trying to get to my seat, which of course was at the back of the plane. Much to my surprise landing in windhoek my rifle and luggage was there too.

Trip home was similar , but they rushed me to the dungeon before I boarded. Rifle and luggage all made it home.

I took it as just another part of a very exciting and memorable trip.

I would do it again .

Craig

Posts: 227 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
I was not informed about having to check rifle in Addis on arrival. My case was checked through to Windhoek so I assumed I would receive it there then go through NAPOL. Not so.

I was seated on plane in Addis when an agent informed me I would have to have rifle inspected. He told me my only option at the time was to deplane and catch a later flight(two days later) even though my flight was delayed forty five minutes.

I traveled on to Windhoek, used a camp rifle then got my rifle inspected on the return home. My rifle sat in Addis for two weeks. Not to happy about it. Steve at TWG should really have informed me of this procedure as it sounds others know of what is required by Ethiopian Airlines.

Short connection times make this a real hassle. I was rushed around then into the dungeon for the inspection. Figured I was going to miss my flight due to short time constraints.

Real bitch regulations.

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 859 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I must have been fortunate. I had a 45 minute connection flying from Toronto -Addis - Windhoek. Rifle did make the connection after inspection. This was in March 2018. Was bloody stressful at the time, my first Safari and traveling alone.

Flight from Addis to Windhoek was less than half full so I got a row to myself. Day flight so I was able to look at a lot of africa .

Craig

Posts: 227 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Thanks

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2802 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SIKA98K
posted Hide Post
Flying with Ethiopian Airlines through Addis Ababa with firearms is not the end of the world.
Myself and friends have travelled in a group of 3 or 4 the last 4 years with Ethiopian airlines to Namibia.
All information regarding the transport of firearms with the airline is available on their website.
Read,mark, learn and inwardly digest. Prepare all your paperwork, print all the copies required. Have all your ducks sitting in a row and yes, maybe have a torch for reading in the dungeon of baggage handling.

Posts: 455 | Location: Ireland | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote