New
Find
Notify
Tools

Masks on planes
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Good morning all: are masks required to be worn while seated on planes while flying on those long flights to joburg. Just curious. Thanks. Luke

Posts: 350 | Location: pueblo, Co. USA | Registered: 01 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One friend flew there for business and had to wear a mask for all the journey apart from when he ate/ drank but where hastily asked to put it back on by the stewards whom wore face shields all the flight.

Posts: 600 | Location: England  | Registered: 07 June 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess the answer is to drink a lot while flying!!!!!!!!!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12839 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Different masks offer differences in comfort.

Try a few, and take the ones that are more comfortable.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66680 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

I have tried three or four and they have all been uncomfortable to me.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13306 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
quote:

True.

But some I have tried are less uncomfortable.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66680 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Michael,

Like Saeed said try a few out. If they do not work try some different styles.

Your face shape and style has a lot to play into how a mask fits. A fitted mask is probably the way to go.

I have about 7 different kinds (different styles or patterns) that my wife has made for me, some are better than others. I have been her test subject for making face masks. She has sent 100's to one of the local reservations in New Mexico as they were looking for masks for tribal members. Actually she has made around 500 masks.

For family and friends my wife has make up style masks that use a soft plastic insert for some of the masks that hold the cloth away for your face, while others are double material and allow additional filters to be added between the layers (filters need to be changes daily). One has a fitted nose piece to mold to your nose, I did not care for that style.

The style that my wife make that has adjustment to the ear loops to tighten or make them loser is probably the way to go for comfort.

Then I have 3 different ones that were sent by the city, medical (hospital) that we use and our Realtor. They all fit differently. They are ok and have only used one one time.

Now fabric wise I did get to pick my cloth, actually had to purchase some for my projects masks. So I have the following: Giraffe & leopard print, A green and blue Elephant (probable the best), crown royal, John Wayne, 2 emerald green ones, and one other. I just had to purchase the fabric so material was lost getting the best cut for the design for me.

Plus you could use the face mask that are neck warmers and face shield are sold, while they do make the requirements for a mask, they offer the smallest protection of filtering the air.

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
quote:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1558 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I have a wife who also makes them and a few are so-so and the rest are nasty devices. NOT to bbe worn all the way to Africa. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I wore a surgical mask every day of my working life for 40+ years. Never bothered me then and doesn’t bother me now..... coffee

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13096 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
I wore a surgical mask every day of my working life for 40+ years. Never bothered me then and doesn’t bother me now..... coffee

Your beard must be shorter and your breath must be better than mine. rotflmo

Mike

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
No beard, don’t know about the breath. But I had a number of surgeon and anesthesiologist friends that did.They did just fine......You do what you got to do- or stay home.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nah gonna stay home.

But don’t tell me masks are or can be comfortable.

Unless you’re a bank robber? Big Grin

Mike

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Two week Med cruise in late May with the wife, buff/plains game hunt in the Caprivi in Sept.with my stepson. I ain’t staying home and masks are a non issue.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some people do look better with them. Big Grin

But no one feels better. rotflmo

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't personally have a big comfort issue with a mask. I sometimes forget I have it on. It does fuck up my beard but I don't have to worry much about shaving or trimming. If the planes fly I'll be wearing a mask to NWT and Africa this year. It's the least of my travel concerns.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12839 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KMG Hunting Safaris
posted Hide Post
Wondering if it won't be more comfortable going with something like the face shield for the flight?

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Cell, Whats App, Signal + 27 82 8205387
E-mail: info@huntsafaris.co.za
Check us out on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kmghuntingsafaris
Instagram: @kmg_hunting_safaris

Posts: 1356 | Location: Eastern Cape | Registered: 27 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Black out the lower portion of the face shield to make folks think they are more comfortable with it? Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are masks comfortable? No. How bad are they? While annoying, it is pretty minor to me. They certainly aren't unlivable. I say this and I Just did Orlando-Boston-Dubai -Karachi. Plus the return home.

If you want to travel, do what is required. It is what it is.

Posts: 11902 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Calling Steve with Travel with Guns this week. Hope to have the vaccine before then. But I only have so many more years and 2021 is one of them.

Posts: 9936 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Maybe we should have a forum just on masks. That way you can all show your masks and recommendations for the best ones. Might as well, as we'll all be wearing them for years. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Found one. I actually have one of these and it is the most comfortable COVID mask I have worn.

Washable mask made of OEKO TEX cotton - 3D preshaped

Brand: Street Wear Mask

The loops that hold the mask provide a soft yet secure fit. Adjust the loop with stoppers. Protective mask made of 2 layers of cotton. Reusable product. It can be repeatedly washed at 60 ° C and also ironed at 180 ° C.

Protective face mask
Street Wear Dots M06
2-layer
cotton
breathable
Soft
does not irritate the face
Hypoallergenic material
NO MICROPLASTICS

You can even hunt in one. It's reversible, and the reverse side is a solid color.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My strategy on a recent flight to Ethiopia was to have several masks with different types of straps. Personally, I find the masks with behind-the-ear straps uncomfortable after a period of time. So for the majority of the trip I wore an N95 (straps behind the head/neck). The N95 can get a bit stuffy so I would change to a lighter mask with ear straps intermittently on trips to the restroom to give myself a break from the N95. No matter what wearing a mask on a long flight is suboptimal but I found this strategy helpful. Ultimately, I'll take a few hours of discomfort wearing a mask to get to hunting...

"The true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching". - John Wooden

One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Just reading that the N-95 mask will the one that we will need to have for airline travel.

Just thinking that a traveler will need to obtain a few N-95 masks to have on hand.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1558 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Singapore Air, New Zealand to UK last August, business class. Medical masks to be worn at all times except when eating. They woke my wife up to tell her that her mask had slipped. Lucky for them they didn't wake me.
Lufthansa UK to Germany, September, medical masks only. My cloth mask was not allowed. They provided masks.
Qatar Air. UK to New Zealand, New Year. They issued us with face shields and masks. Individual compartments in business class and they didn't interfere with you if not wearing a mask while asleep. A vast improvement over Singapore Air! (Singapore Air refused to let us transit through Singapore at last minute so had to re-book with Qatar) At least Singapore Air gave us a small refund on the flight which is more than Thai Airways did when they went bankrupt. Another business class round the world flight for two gone with no compensation! So, no more flights with Thai or Singapore Air. Qatar, Emirates and Ethiopian are still OK. I have a voucher for a flight to Uganda with Air France which it will be interesting to see if they honour!

Posts: 281 | Location: New Zealand  | Registered: 24 March 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
I believe that on Qatar, if in Business, mask is optional while your seat is horizontal.

Posts: 745 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Just came back from Europe
Gotta wear mask all the time except eating and drinking so you learn to eat and drink really slow and then throw blanket over your head

When this is gonna get over it whole earth will be heard...

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote