Notify
Tools

Canada Ammo Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
Travelling from US to Canada to hunt.

I know the ammo has to be separate from the rifle.

Does it have to be in a locked case inside your checked bag or can it just be in the bag?

Going into Vancouver.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3022 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure what the Canadian regs are for ammo containers but on my hunts to BC, via Vancouver, each time I had ammo in a locked container inside my checked bag. Never had any issues but I have only once had a rifle inspected, never had ammo asked about or inspected. I found the Canadian Customs guys perhaps slightly more relaxed than their USA equivalents.
If you are catching a connecting flight with a different carrier it would also pay to know their rules for ammo carriage. Rules can differ between airlines as I'm sure you know.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1992 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
Travelling from US to Canada to hunt.

I know the ammo has to be separate from the rifle.

Does it have to be in a locked case inside your checked bag or can it just be in the bag?

Going into Vancouver.

check with the airlines. as of Canadian operations coming or going to whitehorse with ammo they had been requested to be on a seperate case with air canada or air north but the experience may vary.

Posts: 1721 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have flown Air Canada with a 50 round MTM case just taped shut no problem

Member NRA, NFA,CSSA,DSC,SCI,AFGA

Posts: 263 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Austin Hunter,

These days I just routinely pack my ammo in a small Pelican case locked with TSA locks and put it in my duffel. That, at least at this point has covered all the bases regardless of where I was traveling to or from.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there are limits on ammo amounts - i believe 200 rds of shotshells and 100rds rifle - you can bring more but have to pay duty on it

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote