THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Importing Decorative Ostrich Eggs & Wood Objects

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Importing Decorative Ostrich Eggs & Wood Objects
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have any experience bringing decorative ostrich eggs or wooden carvings into the States? Lots of native handiwork is in the Out of Africa store in JoBurg and numerous shops in Harare, Bulawayo, and Lusaka but have never wanted until now to bring something back. Trying to read all of the Customs regulations is a challenge unto itself, so I thought I'd try to get a little feedback. Thanks!

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
We brought back 4 iron wood carvings and a couple stone animals with no issues

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Gene. When Jim and I were coming back from hunting with Lin we stopped and each purchased an ostrich egg at the J'burg airport. We had no problems at all bringing it back into the US. We each selected an egg adorned with a beautiful leopard. So I did bring a leopard home from Zimbabwe. jumping

Posts: 223 | Location: South Dakota, USA | Registered: 27 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, they do have some pretty cool decorative eggs. And Lindon has probably started fattening up another big cat for you to give it another try. I hope you do go back again, he's got an incredible area for monster leopard.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I carried a wooden elephant stool and some grass baskets home, purchased in a Zim campfire area. I included them on the form and US customs had zero interest. Atlanta only cared about the gun.

I thought the grass baskets would be a problem.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never had any problem with any of that. If it appears to be "worked," as opposed to a vial of dirt or a seed pod, you should have nothing to worry about.

Posts: 567 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You won't have any issues.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Never a problem

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. Off with the wife in a few days to Royal Kafue. Her 1st Africa trip, so it will be the obligatory souvenir shopping on the way back.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
You can likely get one for less at one of the roadside markets. We did six years ago and it wasn't a problem at all. I'm sure Andrew will steer you to the right place.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I have brought back an Egg given me by a PH friend and over the years quite a few Ironwood carvings of animals with no problems at all. I have brought back 2 pair of Courtney elephant hide boots but on advice of the man who sold them to me I should wear them back on the plane. Which is what I did and after the typical boot washing and rifle checking at Atlanta the inspector told me ' Have a nice day and those are really nice Elephant hide boots, they look comfortable'. I don't think we fool an experienced customs inspector very easily.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Spend away! I did. No problems at all.

Posts: 13 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 20 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
Did they lift the restrictions on eggs? Last year we couldn't bring them in the us. Hope so I have a friend that wants me to pick them up one this year.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
When did they lift the restrictions on eggs.

in 2012 they were taking the O. eggs at Dulles plus other items that did not meet standards. Went through all my bags to check for contraband and sprayed all my shoes with something.

I tried to get the paperwork to bring some back from Zimbabwe however we could not get an permit to do so. Worked on this for over a year well into June of 2013, as that is when my trophy's were being shipped.

I went through the F&G and agriculture department however they would not sign off on a permit to bring in 6 eggs. They wanted to know exact number of eggs and the design on them is painted or carved.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1571 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure why there would be a problem with eggs.
We brought them out of Namibia in 09 & 10 with no questions ask.
They sell them at the DSC conv. every year & I'm quite sure they do the same at the SCI conv. as well. If you have problems, just purchase them there.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
They discovered bird flu in some that's why they banned them from coming in the USA.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

www.blueskieshunting.com

1-402-689-2024

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Clark:
They discovered bird flu in some that's why they banned them from coming in the USA.

You've got to be kidding me.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
quote:

Wish I was, they still try and spray your boots cause there worried about mad cow disease.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

www.blueskieshunting.com

1-402-689-2024

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Wish I was, they still try and spray your boots cause there worried about mad cow disease.

I've actually appreciated the boot cleaning. You don't even have to tip them.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I thought it was to kill the virus that is known to cause hoof and mouth

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
you are right. mad cow disease( BSE) is a central nervous system disease like rabies and the mode of transmission is NOT via feces/mud on your boots. hoof and mouth disease is transmitted via that route, hence the boot cleaning( which in itself is a joke, considering how cursory it is).

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13139 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote