Tools

SAA: I have no words
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Draw your own conclusions. Frowner

https://www.reuters.com/articl...l-idUSKBN1ZJ1ZA?il=0

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, this sort of thing just spirals downward. People will hesitate to book flights for fear of losing their money >>> this will make the airline's cash situation worse. The reality is that they don't have the US gov't to fall back on.

Posts: 477 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
No surprise there when you consider who is running the country. Just more of the same 'Africa', different country, different date.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SAA and Nam Air are in the same financial boat. Fortunately Nam Air only has a few aircraft, SAA still has a large fleet. The hope is, SAA closes before their aircraft start falling out of the sky.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My first trip to Africa was on SAA back in 1995. Back then the airline was fantastic (or maybe I was just naive).

Very sad.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only problem with SAA was the New South Africa.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
The only problem with SAA was the New South Africa.

You mean the locals getting their "self determination"? rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66909 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnDL:
People will hesitate to book flights for fear of losing their money

Hesitate.....no hesitation here, because I will not book a flight on SAA or Air Namibia.

What a mess that would be. Show up at the airport and your flight is cancelled,...and the flights for next 7 days are also cancelled.

I've been burned by Air Namibia twice by moving flights up. In both cases the flights were not cancelled, but left much earlier than planned.

Once in the Caprivi I had an Air Namibia flight from Katima Mulilo to Windhoek. However Air Namibia moved my 4PM flight up to 1PM,.....WITHOUT TELLING ANYONE!!!!!! We get to the big Katima Mulilo airport early, about 2:30PM. At about 3PM Air Namibia sends someone over to the airport to tell about 10 pissed off travelers that the 4PM flight left at 1PM. And the amazing part is, they said it,.... like it was a completely normal thing. As if the 4PM flight time listed our tickets meant nothing. They also did not have a flight the next day. So I was delayed by 2 days.

The very next year we lost a day of hunting because Air Namibia moved our 9PM flight to Frankfurt up to 6AM the same day. On that occasion they contacted our travel agent to let us know the flight was leaving 15 HOURS earlier than planned. That was the last flight that I ever booked (or ever will book) with Air Namibia.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1283 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Blue Devil:
quote:
Originally posted by JohnDL:
People will hesitate to book flights for fear of losing their money

Hesitate.....no hesitation here, because I will not book a flight on SAA or Air Namibia.

What a mess that would be. Show up at the airport and your flight is cancelled,...and the flights for next 7 days are also cancelled.

I've been burned by Air Namibia twice by moving flights up. In both cases the flights were not cancelled, but left much earlier than planned.

Once in the Caprivi I had an Air Namibia flight from Katima Mulilo to Windhoek. However Air Namibia moved my 4PM flight up to 1PM,.....WITHOUT TELLING ANYONE!!!!!! We get to the big Katima Mulilo airport early, about 2:30PM. At about 3PM Air Namibia sends someone over to the airport to tell about 10 pissed off travelers that the 4PM flight left at 1PM. And the amazing part is, they said it,.... like it was a completely normal thing. As if the 4PM flight time listed our tickets meant nothing. They also did not have a flight the next day. So I was delayed by 2 days.

The very next year we lost a day of hunting because Air Namibia moved our 9PM flight to Frankfurt up to 6AM the same day. On that occasion they contacted our travel agent to let us know the flight was leaving 15 HOURS earlier than planned. That was the last flight that I ever booked (or ever will book) with Air Namibia.

BA does it all the time, in Europe.

Cancel flights without any explanation!

Posts: 66909 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
So what is your take on the South African Airlink situation? It appears that they are distancing themselves from South African Airlines?

https://www.flyairlink.com/news

quote:
Airlink, Africa’s largest privately-owned airline, will operate under its own “4Z” flight code on services operated with effect from 11 June 2020. This decision represents an important milestone in extending the commercial reach of the airline in its own right.

Selling seats on flights under the “4Z” flight code will enable Airlink to develop more routes and frequencies on an independent basis, as well as extend opportunities to establish new agreements with leading international airlines.

Airlink and South African Airways (SAA) have redefined their partnership by replacing their franchise agreement with a new commercial arrangement from 11 June 2020.

Where in terms of the franchise, flights operated by Airlink carry the “SA8” flight designator, under the new commercial arrangement, they will operate as Airlink’s unique “4Z” code. The new agreement will enable a seamless transition with minimum inconvenience to customers.

The change marks a new era in the long-standing commercial agreement with SAA. While SAA remains an important strategic pillar in Airlink’s strategy, the new arrangement gives Airlink the freedom to extend its commercial reach, develop more routes and frequencies on an independent basis and extend or establish additional agreements with other leading international airlines.

-

About Airlink

Airlink is a privately-owned, BBBEE Level 4 business and regional feeder airline headquartered in Johannesburg. It has the largest fleet of commercial jetliners in Southern Africa, which operate on 55 routes to 39 destinations in nine African countries. Last year Airlink carried almost 2 million passengers on more than 63,000 flights, reliably, and on time (92.9% of Airlink’s flights were on time over the past year).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, the question is what to do? If one needs to fly from Tambo to Windhoek, what is the best advice ?

Posts: 11945 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cross your fingers and have a backup plan. BA also services that route, so does Qatar Air.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
So, the question is what to do? If one needs to fly from Tambo to Windhoek, whatis the best advice ?

The "problem" with ORT to WDH is if you are carrying a firearm. I think Air Namibia ( or Air Maybe, as they are called) will do it, but that's all.

Better to go on Qatar, KLM, or Ethiopian Air directly from USA, and skip ORT.

If no firearm, the you can take BA( Com Air).

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
Cross your fingers and have a backup plan. BA also services that route, so does Qatar Air.

Not BA itself, but an affiliate called "Kalula". The affiliate does NOT allow guns as baggage, so don't book it if traveling with firearms.

To get to Windhoek from U.S. or Europe I would recommend KLM through Amsterdam or Air Qatar. That avoids the dicey JNB entirely.

Posts: 13228 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
Wow,

I hope that it gets resolved by August. I have 3 flights already booked with them.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Emirates or Ethiopian are good choices. I fly them every chance I get.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I guess the imposition of "handling fees" for firearms isn't working out as planned.

As discussed before, our flights last year were quoted with an extra $1,200 round trip for handling fees. We booked with Emirates instead. So instead of gaining the extra $1,200 in our case, they lost the entire tickets. I wonder how often that happened to them?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
I guess the imposition of "handling fees" for firearms isn't working out as planned.

As discussed before, our flights last year were quoted with an extra $1,200 round trip for handling fees. We booked with Emirates instead. So instead of gaining the extra $1,200 in our case, they lost the entire tickets. I wonder how often that happened to them?

$1200 for how many guns?

Posts: 11945 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

$1200 for how many guns?

Does it matter!

I rank them right up there with BA as airlines to avoid!

Last summer my daughter was booked to fly BA Lo don to Stockholm.

Flight was supposed to take off 9 in the morning.

She arrived at check in, and was informed the flight was cancelled!!

Next flight was 12 hours later!

I really think the Irishman running BA is secretly advising SAA!

The flying public would be better off once they two are busted!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
quote:

$1200 for how many guns?

Does it matter!

I rank them right up there with BA as airlines to avoid!

Last summer my daughter was booked to fly BA Lo don to Stockholm.

Flight was supposed to take off 9 in the morning.

She arrived at check in, and was informed the flight was cancelled!!

Next flight was 12 hours later!

I really think the Irishman running BA is secretly advising SAA!

The flying public would be better off once they two are busted!

I hear you my friend.

I think the reality is that they don't have much choice except to bail SAA out somehow or another. If it falls, it seems to me it would be an economic catastrophe. Of course, that has not bothered them before.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

$1200 for how many guns?

Larry, it was 4 guns. 2 for me, 2 for Austin. However, I was mistaken. I went back and looked at my records. It wasn't $1,200. It was $1,600. In the end Austin got sick and cancelled but we had booked on Emirates and bypassed SAA completely once the extra fees were quoted. They lost the entire 2 tickets for trying to gouge us for handling 1 extra piece of luggage each.

See my post here from last summer:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...371004352#2371004352

Copied here:

"We were all set to purchase tickets on SAA a couple of months ago. The fee was $100 per rifle, PER FLIGHT LEG, international, outside of the African continent. Then $50 per rifle, PER FLIGHT LEG, international within the African continent. We didn't check the prices within RSA. For us, it would have been 4 rifles total (2 each), Dulles to Dakar, Dakar to JNB, JNB to HRE. So $200 + $100 + $100 going and $100 + $100 + $200 going home - EACH . So the fees added $800 to each ticket."

one of us
posted Hide Post
So what's a fellow to do? I want to go to SA to hunt but the ONLY flights from Atlanta to SA are on SAA. It looks like SAA, however bad or unsafe, is the only show in town when it comes to flying to SA from Atlanta. I hate to think I have to forego a SA hunting trip because SAA is such a poor airlines.

Posts: 474 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
"So what's a fellow to do? I want to go to SA to hunt but the ONLY flights from Atlanta to SA are on SAA."

Delta flies non stop to Jo'burg every day out of Atlanta. Delta also flies non-stop from Jo'burg to Atlanta every day as well. They always have, and that is the flight that we take and return on every time. So, why wouldn't you fly Delta?

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogersGunWorks:
So what's a fellow to do? I want to go to SA to hunt but the ONLY flights from Atlanta to SA are on SAA. It looks like SAA, however bad or unsafe, is the only show in town when it comes to flying to SA from Atlanta. I hate to think I have to forego a SA hunting trip because SAA is such a poor airlines.

There is always Delta nonstop to Joberg from ATL. Of course they are more expensive and almost as bad. Qatar Airways flies ATL to JNB via Doha. Takes about 6-8 hours longer, costs half as much and MUCH better service.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13139 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm headed to Zim this fall on Emirates. I've flown SAA several times previously-- with firearms-- with no trouble. The firearm handling fee was ridiculous, but even without it the Emirates ticket was several hundred US cheaper. SAA won't be getting my business again.

Posts: 567 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Delta!

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How sad When I first started to hunt Africa in 2006 SAA was great good dependable service handled gun well . I could see them going down hill to the point I had no confidence in them. I have been happy with Air Emirates would not use SAA unless they were the only way to get to a destination and at that I would worry to the point that it would effect my decision to go

quote:
Originally posted by sdirks:
I'm headed to Zim this fall on Emirates. I've flown SAA several times previously-- with firearms-- with no trouble. The firearm handling fee was ridiculous, but even without it the Emirates ticket was several hundred US cheaper. SAA won't be getting my business again.

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
quote:

Delta!

Only if the alternative is to swim or row thumbdown

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13139 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Getting to Jo Berg is only half the "problem". What are those guys going to do that have booked hunts in the East Cape that require flights to Port Elizabeth or New London, as SAA is suspending all flights there as of March 1st, and there are no other airlines that will carry firearms.

Getting to Jo Berg is a matter of just using Delta if ya don't like SAA, but several other options are Emirates, Qatar, KLM, etc. just takes longer, but are usually cheaper.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WLW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Terry Blauwkamp:
Getting to Jo Berg is only half the "problem". What are those guys going to do that have booked hunts in the East Cape that require flights to Port Elizabeth or New London, as SAA is suspending all flights there as of March 1st, and there are no other airlines that will carry firearms.

Getting to Jo Berg is a matter of just using Delta if ya don't like SAA, but several other options are Emirates, Qatar, KLM, etc. just takes longer, but are usually cheaper.

In that boat. Going to East Cape in May. Scramble.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4821014232

"He Who Farts in Church, Must Sit in Own Pew".

Posts: 363 | Location: Moorpark, CA | Registered: 18 May 2012Reply With Quote