THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    International Travel with Multi-Caliber Rifles?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

International Travel with Multi-Caliber Rifles?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi everyone,

How do you fill out forms when you have a rifle with two barrels, say .375 H&H and .300 H&H? That would also imply having both types of ammunition. Do they understand that it's a single rifle with two barrels, or do they treat it as two rifle? Any hints, tips or suggestions are welcome.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've taken my Blaser R93 to Zim and Namibia with 375H&H and 30.06 barrels. Filled out forms as though it was two rifles. In both cases accepted without comment or any issues.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1985 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ask either Gracy Travel or TWGs. They can tell you what the most current info is on bringing your rifles. You definitely can't depend on the Customs and Border Protection folks. Any one individual agent is apt to give you different info from the the next one you ask.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12839 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
I’ve got to concur with Mark on CBP agents. I had one at Detroit Metro Airport try to tell me Leupold scopes were made in Germany. I showed him the MADE IN USA stamp on the scope itself, then the Leupold website that states “Proudly designed, made and marketed in Oregon “. I asked him what part of Germany was Oregon located.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1381 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish traveling with firearms weren't such an arbitrary process. Consistency in regulation enforcement is too much to expect, I guess.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

Administrator
posted Hide Post
The good old days.

I used to ship my guns - rifles, shotguns, cases of ammo - by air freight ahead of me.

Pick them up at the airport as I arrived.

No limit to how many, no limit to how much ammo, no hassle at airports.

I wish I could turn back the clock on that!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66683 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That sounds so much more civilized than the silliness we must undergo these days. You'd think at some point there would be an attack of sanity, but the current zeitgeist makes that seem unlikely.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ve got to concur with Mark on CBP agents. I had one at Detroit Metro Airport try to tell me Leupold scopes were made in Germany. I showed him the MADE IN USA stamp on the scope itself, then the Leupold website that states “Proudly designed, made and marketed in Oregon “. I asked him what part of Germany was Oregon located.

Yes, pretty damn dumb. I've also experienced the same with the CBP agents in Atlanta. They don't want you to assist them with the rifle inspection, but then can't figure out how to take a double rifle apart to get to the serial number. I have had to ignore their protests and literally step in and take the rifle apart and show the dumb bastards. The last time this happened I asked him whether or not he wanted to get the serial number, and I told him that I wasn't going to have some CBP agent scratch the hell out of my expensive double rifle. They treat you like you're a terrorist or a criminal. Moreover, instead of having a positive experience, you know as you stand in the line to have your firearms inspected that you're going to be hasseled.

one of us
posted Hide Post
CBP story:

As AR readers might have noticed I posted some short notice hunts for 2020 once Africa travel started to open up a little. One gentleman that took up on an offer was a few days out from departure and everything was in place or so I thought. He had all the items on the check list including his 4457 but it dawned on me that we had not specifically asked if the 4457 was a brand new one. I've been advising hunters to just get a new one each time they travel just to alleviate any chance of a 4457 hassle.

I called the client and he said he had the most current 4457 but not a brand new one and because of where he lived a new one would be impossible to get before his trip. I called Gracy Travel my preferred travel agent to get their feedback on whether the client's 4457 would fly and left a message as it was on a weekend. I WhatsApped my logistics person Jamie with the same question but no immediate reply so I went to the source and gave the local CBP office a call. The young officer I spoke with was quite emphatic that my guy would need a new 4457 for his upcoming travel regardless of whether he had the most current 4457 or not for his rifle. This gave me pause but soon after that call I had a return call from Gracy Travel and Jamie my logistics person. They both were confident that my client would have no issues with his 4457 as it was the most current 4457 form.

I got back to the client he then told me he had just been to Cameroon with the same rifle the previous February and he wasn't worried about it. He also said he was fine with camp rifles if his 4457 was an issue and he could not take his personal rifle.

Of course he had no issues with anything going or coming and had a fantastic safari taking 18 animals.

So the moral of the story is that the CBP people just flat do not know the rules and I feel they make it up as they go along sometimes to suit the situation.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12839 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote