THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Laser range finders in carry on baggage

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Laser range finders in carry on baggage
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Are there issues with carrying on a lazer range finder in carry on baggage on a commercial flight (Delta) with binoculars and other valuables?

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've carried mine with no issue. Having said that I would be ready to explain to the TSA it is for golf if asked. The way scopes are treated sometimes you never know.

Trust only those who stand to lose as much as you do when things go wrong.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had no issues with mine on any of the half dozen flights to, from and within southern Africa.

Posts: 177 | Location: Eastern Slopes of the Northern Rockies | Registered: 15 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
They can detect it with their scanners, although I'm not sure how exactly they're able to do that.

I was asked once (stateside) if I had a "laser" in my bag after it had passed through the scanner.

I simply told them that I had a range finder and they had no issues with it.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
Best place is in your Gun Case, but were ever you put it take the Battery out! And tape the end of the battery.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Why tape the battery? Would the reason also apply to batteries for illuminated scopes?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunt99
posted Hide Post
I always carry binos, camera and range finder in my carry-on. After seeing the beating gun cases are subjected to why would you put any other expensive equipment through that?

I hunt to live and live to hunt!

Posts: 299 | Location: Big Sky Country! | Registered: 19 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I can't remember how many times I've carried my in my carry on bags. I've never carried it in checked baggage. Never been a problem.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No problem
Except Dubai
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always carry all of my optics in my carry ons,, laser, binocs, video, etc,, never a problem,, africa,, Aussie land etc.,,

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Can anyone answer this?

quote:
Why tape the battery? Would the reason also apply to batteries for illuminated scopes?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
A simple piece of tape eliminates a potential problem when the bag goes thru the x-ray machine. A laser range finder will draw attention everytime when looked at in a x-ray.
I pack mine now in my Gun Case. Putting it in a carryon can be asking for trouble depending on who looks at your carryon.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I carry mine on carry daypack. Never had an issue.

Packing anything but guns in your gun case is asking for TSA to inspect it.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suppose you tape the battery so if the "lazer" button is depressed in the luggage, the battery won,t get drained.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
No problem in carryon for me either.

Just hope you don't get a TSA agent that wants one.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A couple dozen trips in the last few years, and have never been questioned about it at all. The only time I received a question about any electronics was on my old video camera with large battery - they asked me to turn it on to look at the screen, then said thanks and I returned it to my carryon bag.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure how relevant it is but Dubai security confiscated my laser pointer from my carry on bag a few weeks ago. It was a green laser, apparently if it had been red it would have been OK. First time that has happened to me. I've been through that airport several times with the same pointer and it was not an issue.

Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do.

Posts: 301 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
I carry mine on carry daypack. Never had an issue.

Packing anything but guns in your gun case is asking for TSA to inspect it.

I concur with packing it in the carry bag. However, I always put other stuff in the gun case and the TSA has always hand inspected it at the counter, put a security seal on the case and then I lock it with my locks. In fact, not to open another can of worms but as long as I'm flying Delta, my ammo goes in the gun case too. It helps to know the Delta station manager at my airport I guess. 3 boxes and cleaning gear will be in the gun case Thursday and whatever ammo is left is staying with the PH.

Regards,

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are going to RSA on Thursday, DON'T put your ammo in the guncase. It will cause a huge dust up. For RSA the ammo must be packed separate--not in the guncase.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A dust up with whom? TSA and Delta sure don't have any problem with it. RSA rules seem to indicate that the separate locked box rule applies but that seems to be more of a SAA rule than a SAPS rule. If someone has carried their ammo in the locked gun case and had trouble with SAPS for doing so then I would like to hear about it and I will follow the SAPS rules and not the airlines. However, you can carry the ammo in the gun case with Delta as I have done it. I have not and would not carry it back. Again, if someone has had issues upon arrival in RSA as a final destination and then had an ammo in gun case issue with SAPS please let me know.

Regards,

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the problem in 2007 in Johannesburg. That's why I made the post. I was good with Delta, but ran into a huge problem with SAPS in RSA. If it hadn't been for Air 2000, my gun and I might still be there.

Don't believe it, knock yourself out and let us know how it turns out.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sharpsguy:
I had the problem in 2007 in Johannesburg. That's why I made the post. I was good with Delta, but ran into a huge problem with SAPS in RSA. If it hadn't been for Air 2000, my gun and I might still be there.

Don't believe it, knock yourself out and let us know how it turns out.

Sir,
If I indicated somehow that I was not going to believe a poster who answered the question I asked about having a problem with SAPS then I humbly apologize for seriously offending you.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frankfort, Germany......A friend was prevented from boarding at the gate with a rangefinder and had to check in his carry on bag. They also had a fit about some choke tubes I had in my bag.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1327 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kebco:...They also had a fit about some choke tubes I had in my bag.

I had a similar problem returning to the U.S. from a waterfowl hunt in Alberta, Canada. I spoke with a supervisor about the "danger" posed by the inert, thin metal tubes and she let them go with me as "carry on." Silly stuff, but since then I've just packed them with checked luggage.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Tanzania 2012: http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/8331015971
Saskatoon, Canada 2013: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4121043/m/7171030391
Las Pampas, Argentina 2014: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4107165/m/1991059791

Posts: 260 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: 19 April 2012Reply With Quote