New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tuff-Pak
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Good morning all, it has been a few years since my last trip to Africa. I have used a Tuff-Pak for the past couple of trips loading the gun in a softcase along with boots, jacket, etc...It has worked very well.

But...I know that times are a changing so I am curious if airlines are still OK with a Tuff-Pak and packed with a gun and extra items. I am flying United to J-Berg and then on to Pemba, MZ.

I appreciate any insight you may have,

Jim

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I flew last October from San Francisco to Dar es Salaam with mine. No issues at all.

Posts: 3835 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Make sure you stay under the 50 pounds limit.

Have a copy of the airline baggage rules with you. Most airlines do not have issues with other items in the gun case, some do.

Ask your travel agent.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1563 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
I have moved on from TuffPack due to TSA not allowing me to repack the case. They take everything out and then just shove it back in. Now, I use a Pelican case instead.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, a Tuff-Pac still works fine.
I always ask politely if I can repack mine and lock it myself after the inspection.
So far, so good.

Posts: 1782 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanajay:
Yes, a Tuff-Pac still works fine.
I always ask politely if I can repack mine and lock it myself after the inspection.
So far, so good.

Like Andy, I switched to a Pelican case because the idiots in San Francisco airport wouldn't let me in the TSA area to repack it myself and when I got to Africa all my stuff was jammed inside the case.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only place I had a problem wih a Tuff pak was in Moscow last year. They made me empty it out completely of my clothing etc,. and allowed the rifle to rattle around in its soft case!

Its a bullk case but its a great case!

Posts: 2532 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reddy375:
The only place I had a problem wih a Tuff pak was in Moscow last year. They made me empty it out completely of my clothing etc,. and allowed the rifle to rattle around in its soft case!

Its a bullk case but its a great case!

This is the reason that I never purchased one for travel. They are great cases but just not for firearms. I also believe that with the ever increasing regulations with air travel and firearms, the days of using the tuff-pack are numbered. One other thing is that with all of the stuff in the case and the use of scanners, again with all the stuff, there is the possibility of the agent not having a clear enough view of it and that’s initiates what happened to Fjold and reddy. Not worth the risk, at least to me.

JP

Formerly JPaul

Posts: 60 | Location: Central Valley, California  | Registered: 03 May 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I have used mine on the trip to the Selous last October and to Ethiopia this March and no issues except at TSA where they do make you empty the case. However, like Jay they have begun to let me repack. It is handy to reduce the size of your bags... if not for the ammo issue, I could travel with a Tuffpak and a carry-on when heading to Africa!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7510 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Still use mine regularly. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thank you all for your replies, seems like I should be good, I like the fact that I can pack extra stuff along w/ the gun and soft case. take care and hunt hard!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 for the Tuffpak! Took mine to Canada last month and picked up one of their soft sacks, had the soft rifle case zipper side up and aligned with the sack’s zipper, so TSA inspection and repacking was a breeze. Just zipped both the soft case and Tuff sack up, slid it back in the hard case, and was on my way.

It was nice to travel with one less checked bag and the look of the Tuffpak is a bit more incognito than other cases

Posts: 145 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 02 January 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought one of the Pelican Air cases that I am planning to use this Summer. I'm hoping to get away with having a single checked bag for clothing and my rifle.

It is big enough to hold my clothing/gear as well as my double while its broken down. A smaller Pelican case will hold my ammo. Mine does not have the TSA locks, but provisions for my own padlocks. Idea is to keep my iron-sighted double in the soft SKB takedown case inside.

Anyone see any issues? I'm flying Delta and Airlink.

Posts: 986 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
Check regulations for Airlink. They might require the firearm to be in its own hard case.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
will do Tanks, thanks for the heads up

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What locks do the regulations require? TSA for everything but guns and non-TSA for the gun.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
Been using the Tuffpack for 16 years now and never an issue. I only have my guns in soft cases inside the pack. I have never put anything else in there with them.

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 867 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tuff-Pak did great August 2021 on Ethiopian to Zim.

DSC
SCI Life
NRA Life
WSF Life <1 Club

Posts: 177 | Location: Bitterroot Valley, MT | Registered: 02 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve been using mine since 2005 with no issues.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3504 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm in SA as I type this and I brought the Tuff pak along without any issues.

Posts: 151 | Location: NC | Registered: 11 September 2007Reply With Quote