Find
Notify
Tools

Cheap air to Joberg
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted
Just an FYI. I booked 3 business class tickets today to Joberg from Atlanta in mid November. They were “only” $3450 each on Qatar Airways. Beats the hell out of Delta’s $6800. No long layovers(4 1/2 hours outbound and 1 3/4 hours return). I have flown with them before and they are every bit as good as Emirates or Etihad and WAY better than any US or European carrier! We are transmitting on to Maun, so never leave the airport. Avoiding the shit that goes on outside the airport.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13105 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
Just an FYI. I booked 3 business class tickets today to Joberg from Atlanta in mid November. They were “only” $3450 each on Qatar Airways. Beats the hell out of Delta’s $6800. No long layovers(4 1/2 hours outbound and 1 3/4 hours return). I have flown with them before and they are every bit as good as Emirates or Etihad and WAY better than any US or European carrier! We are transmitting on to Maun, so never leave the airport. Avoiding the shit that goes on outside the airport.

How sad to see US and European airlines becoming so bad!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66765 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
That is Cheap!!! I just checked Flights from Wenatchee to Guatemala with First Class Houston to Guatemala City and it was $6,000 10 months in advance.

Posts: 2320 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
So I booked business class to Windhoek for September, on Emirates and got a great price. Actually saved about $2,000 per ticket (x2) by going online instead of travel agent. Smiler

However, that troubles me because our agent isn't able to get the same rates and apparently can't go online and act as our proxy. Frowner And it's only fair that they get compensated. I don't like not using an experienced agent because if surprises happen, their help becomes critical.

Any observations??

Posts: 724 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
If you are getting very cheap tickets, there must be lots of restrictions.

Posts: 66765 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I shop my tickets a lot and last year peak season I was able to fly Delta out of Missoula Mt. round trip for $1411 to Joburg, this year I will be going later at the end of Sept round trip from Idaho Falls Id for $1468 I want cheap flights so I have more money for hunting !

Posts: 19 | Location: salmon id | Registered: 01 March 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think a travel agent is going to be able to sort anything out that you cannot sort out yourself ... the airlines have rules and all parties are beholden to them.

If you are concerned about things going wrong, just buy trip insurance. The cost is minimal and they will bail you out of most messes.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2926 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Russ is right. Purchase Trip Insurance.

Posts: 2320 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HT

You'll only need an agent if the poop hits the fan. I use and recommend Gracy Travel because of their ability to get my clients on a number of occasions out of a mess that the clients had not a clue on how to handle. Having someone you can call for help is very comforting when you're doing something that is completely out of your comfort zone.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
I don't think a travel agent is going to be able to sort anything out that you cannot sort out yourself ... the airlines have rules and all parties are beholden to them.

If you are concerned about things going wrong, just buy trip insurance. The cost is minimal and they will bail you out of most messes.

No true at all, if you want peace of mind, and you are in a location with bad communications.

One call to your travel agent can sort any problems out.

Instead of having to make multiple calls, to different locations.

I had to make an urgent trip from Europe.

Checked on line for a ticket, non available, in any class.

Called my agent at home, and told her I need to travel immediately.

I had a 300 kilometer drive to the airport, so all she said was "Just go to the airport, I will have a ticket ready for you"

My ticket was ready and I made trip.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We normally book our own tickets, I have an aversion to travel agents after a bad experience with a well known company on our second trip to Africa several years ago. We have two trips coming up that will take us to more than one country, a couple of which we've never visited and know very little about, so we didn't want to sort through all of the hundreds of flight combinations and contacted TWG. I was very surprised how quickly they were able to sort thru all of the options and come up with an itinerary that worked...and have made a couple of changes to that itinerary with no problems. One needed change arose yesterday evening and my wife sent an email about 6:30 pm asking the agent to see if it was too late to make the change and expected an answer sometime today. She received an email about 9:00 pm saying the change had been accomplished, that is good service. It was Patrick Wright at TWG, we'll use him again.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2723 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:

Thanks for posting this. I booked mine yesterday. I flew QATAR last fall and was impressed. They are not the equivalent of Emirates, but close in about every respect. Interestingly, last fall I was the only customer in business class from Kili to Doha. They sent the business class shuttle just for me, which I thought was hilarious as I rode away in a 30 passenger bus all by my lonesome.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We'll be heading to Windhoek from Oregon in November. Which booking site are you Guys using? Kayak? Travelocity? Or are you going direct to the airlines? Thanks

Posts: 451 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 03 January 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
We normally book our own tickets, I have an aversion to travel agents after a bad experience with a well known company on our second trip to Africa several years ago. We have two trips coming up that will take us to more than one country, a couple of which we've never visited and know very little about, so we didn't want to sort through all of the hundreds of flight combinations and contacted TWG. I was very surprised how quickly they were able to sort thru all of the options and come up with an itinerary that worked...and have made a couple of changes to that itinerary with no problems. One needed change arose yesterday evening and my wife sent an email about 6:30 pm asking the agent to see if it was too late to make the change and expected an answer sometime today. She received an email about 9:00 pm saying the change had been accomplished, that is good service. It was Patrick Wright at TWG, we'll use him again.

Patrick is on the ball all the time. Great group there.

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nobull00:
We'll be heading to Windhoek from Oregon in November. Which booking site are you Guys using? Kayak? Travelocity? Or are you going direct to the airlines? Thanks

The easiest way is to use Google Flights. When you get to book flight it will bring up a link to book your flight. I would only book thru the carriers web site. There is another site ITA MATRIX, slightly more difficult to use but will give you every fare available for every flight. Requires you to use BOOK WITH MATRIX to actually book a ticket using ITA.

If you use an agency or booking site (agency) other than the airline, that agency has full control of your ticket, the carrier will not do anything for you, only your agent can. Want to upgrade, cannot do that unless you do it thru your agent. Bad weather and need to make a change at the airport, call your agent for the change and unless open 24/7 have fun.

Posts: 749 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I do the same. Google Flights to find them, airline website to book them.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13105 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote