New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you put on 4457
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Going in today do you just put rifles, or rifle,binos etc....More?? Can't remember

Thanks

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2843 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anything of value that could have been purchased out of the US, is what I've been told.

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1096 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Generally, I think most people just put rifle and possibly scope on the 4457.

It is a Custom's Form to prove that you had any taxable item before you went abroad. But as we know many Africa countries use it as if it were a gun permit. For that reason (simplification) I now only put rifle on mine.

It may be well to get a second form done that lists serial numbers of your other costly items that Customs may question... bino's, scope, cameras.

I've never had Customs question any of the above, but I've certainly had them give me the 3rd degree about my rifle, even with a 4457!

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
True thanks!

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I put guns, scopes, binos, and cameras on mine, as I don't want some dumb-assed Customs agent to question the origin of purchase of any of the items listed and coming back into the U.S.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can put all kinds of stuff on one 4457 form but it's best to use separate forms. You might not bring the same guns, equipment etc the next time and you don't want some LEO/customs officer somewhere asking where the rest of the stuff is. I also don't put my scopes on with any particular rifle as I may change them out periodically.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12850 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve only put guns, and have had no issues.

I can certainly get documentation for scopes and electronics elsewhere if I need to.

Posts: 10512 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
All correct, but the item must have a serial number.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13360 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All true but you know what
1) US customs has always looked at me like I’m crazy for having my Binos and Cameras etc in there. Literally like they’d never seen it before and had no idea why I would do so (but better safe than sorry)
2) once some belligerent Atlanta lady (300+ pounds of a certain persuasion in Atlanta) tries to take my rifles and everything even though I had it

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
In 2013 when I came back from Namibia, I had a Customs guy ask for the 4457 for my Winchester Model 70 in .300 WSM, which I produced. He then asked for the 4457 on my Leupold scope,,since as he said ....”they’re made in Germany”. I showed him the “Made in USA” stamp on the scope, and asked permission to turn on my I Phone. I got to the Leupold website where it states “ Proudly designed, made and marketed in Oregon”. I asked him where in Germany I could find Oregon. He was a punk kid who thought he could bullshit me.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1381 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see they use a for form for each rifle so i put rifle model plus scope. Easy enough to get another. They seemed ok at office but I Hope they don't harass me on way back like last time

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is no requirement of a separate form for each rifle. In fact, if you look at the 4457, they are required to list the number of items on the form when they sign and stamp it. But to some, it might be easier to do a separate form for each.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And, note this from the CBP site:

The United States Department of Homeland Security's Official Seal
U.S. Customs and Border Protection
Securing America's Borders
CBP Information Center
CBP Form 4457 Certificate of Registration - Use on multiple trips
Can I use the same Certificate of Registration (CBP Form 4457) more than once when traveling abroad?
As long as the Certificate of Registration is for the same equipment, it can be used more than once. The description of the item and serial number must match. The intent is to prove the item was in the U.S. prior to your travels.

Unfortunately for us hunters, South Africa does not recognize the 4457, it unless it's a form executed in the very same year of travel. That makes it a pain in the ass. thumbdown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Customs at Dulles has told me repeatedly only guns. They realize everyone has cameras and binos. They could care less seeing them on the form.

Larry Rogers

Posts: 246 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: 01 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Unfortunately for us hunters, South Africa does not recognize the 4457, it unless it's a form executed in the very same year of travel. That makes it a pain in the ass. thumbdown

That is incorrect.

It does not have to be issued the same year as travelling.

There is a govt form expiration date on the form........That date must be current, not past expiration.

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe the newest form has an expiration date of 8/2019. I also found forms with no expiration date, which they accepted with no question last September.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use to have a 4457 for everything, now just the rifle.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jtex: That's correct, and I should have made myself more clear on that. However, if you are traveling with guns to South Africa this year you would be advised use the new form expiring in 2019. The older forms are still good in countries that do not have the same requirement as South Africa. As to the forms with no expiration, SAPS will likely choose to look at the date that the form was executed/stamped. I have some of those too, but I wouldn't chance a safari in South Africa with a non-expiring form unless it was executed/stamped in the year that you are traveling.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Listen to Use Enough Gun on this. The so-called form expiration date is in the upper right-hand corner. It should be 2019.

If your form has an earlier date get a new one.

If your form has no expiration date, get one signed by CBP for this year.

Regards

Posts: 1318 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
For Zambia the 4457 simply has to reflect firearm make, calibre and most importantly a correct serial number.

I would say our import/export procedure is one of the more streamlined in Africa.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9854 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep
quote:
Originally posted by D. Nelson:
Generally, I think most people just put rifle and possibly scope on the 4457.

It is a Custom's Form to prove that you had any taxable item before you went abroad. But as we know many Africa countries use it as if it were a gun permit. For that reason (simplification) I now only put rifle on mine.

It may be well to get a second form done that lists serial numbers of your other costly items that Customs may question... bino's, scope, cameras.

I've never had Customs question any of the above, but I've certainly had them give me the 3rd degree about my rifle, even with a 4457!

Best regards, D. Nelson

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a side benefit of putting "everything of value" on 4457's. The form also provides a record and proves, to some degree, that you actually possessed/owned the item(s). Can come in handy if any of the listed items come up missing or stolen either while traveling for even at home. You've got verified proof of ownership with specific identifying info (make, mod and serial numbers) that has been verified/certified by a USG agency. Makes things like police reports and insurance claims and/or stolen item(s) reports with the airlines a bit easier.

Posts: 572 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
Since the form is PDF, changing the form expiration date on an otherwise current and accurate form take about 5 minutes...

I used to just trim the form to remove the old form date but now that SAPS wants a date.....

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As a matter of fact, you don't even need a form 4457, its a convienience, its nothing more than a receipt..If you have a receipt with serial number and description from who you purchased any item, it will be accepted..That is law, end of story..

The 4457 has been used so much these days that many consider it to be law and expected..Again carry a custom page concerning the 4457....It is not a legal document per say..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41790 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Added a pen and ink serial number to my Courtney elephant hide boots and put them on my 4457 to ensure that customs would not confiscate the boots on return. No problem with two years of passing through Dulles.

Regards

Posts: 1318 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nhoro
posted Hide Post
I now do guns only. Scopes and optics change, cameras change, etc. The only thing Customs has ever looked at are the firearms.

JEB Katy, TX

Already I was beginning to fall into the African way of thinking: That if
you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on
the animal's terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the
day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely
killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed
because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always
recapture the day - Robert Ruark

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member