New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gifts to bring back
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I haven't seen this question posed. What do you all bring BACK as gifts? I don't have kids but have hordes of nephews and one really cute little neice. My nephews are all under 12 so I brought them back some of the bullets that were retrieved from the animals and some Rand coins and paper bills and a few porcupine quills we had found. I wanted to bring back some warhog tusks but wasn't too sure of customs. For my sisters and mom I bought them each a carved hippo. Thought it would look good on a book shelf.
If you do want to bring something back don't forget that your outfitter can have it sent with your mounts. I did that with a heavy end table carving I bought.
So, what souveniers did you all bring back?

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TexasHunter
posted Hide Post
We brought back some rand coins for the kids and then got each of them a wood carved animal and one of the polished stone animals. I think they were $3US each or 20 RAND. Our two best items were the ebony root statue that we bought from a guy in Zambia who was carving them at his stand - fantastic, unbelievable workmanship - we gave him 100,000 Kwacha ($20US) and then for 150RAND we bought a wooden map of africa at God's Window with the Big five carved and cut into the map.

Posts: 126 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
We try to buy gifts at Safari Club events. Stick to small stuff otherwise, such as animal skin coasters, key chains, other leather goods items, elephant hair bracelets or African jewelry for the ladies -- earrings go over well as do the shiny stuff. Carvings are plain to bring back unbroken as the wood is sometimes soft or plain old brittle. clothing items also work, particularly if you make room for them by leaving behind hunting clothes after the safari.

BNagel

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bring back a 4 foot long, carved and painted giraffe in your guncase and see how much question and answer you do for Customs! My wife was happy that it made it thru unscathed; I was happy I didn't have to pack it all the way home as carry-on.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I bring back jewelry for my girls. Not expensive, just something made locally.

Bluefin -- don't you owe us a report or some pictures??? Cool

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charles,
I'm working on it!! LOL I'm having a heck of time with the pics. Computers are not my thing...

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i brought back one of those carved giraffes and hand checked it for each and every flight. what a pain! but i sure love seeing it every day in the front hall. clap

one of us
posted Hide Post
Last trip I gave everything away except my rifle, and the clothes on my back, I filled suitcase, gun case, and carry on with Zimbabwean wine,zambezi beer, soap stone carvings, iron wood carvings, and lots of baskets. All to give away to friends and family.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefin:
Charles,
I'm working on it!! LOL I'm having a heck of time with the pics. Computers are not my thing...

I'll keep looking for it then. Let me know if you can't get the pictures sorted out -- maybe I can help.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I carried a hand made doll baby for my Grandaughter with me for most of my trip. It was a little big for my carryon daypack, so she road in my lap. It is a good way to get a little more seating space when the airplane isn't crowded and she really likes it.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote