THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Yellow fever vaccination for Zimbabwe?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yellow fever vaccination for Zimbabwe?
 Login/Join

posted
Dear Everybody,

I will be flying to Zimbabwe mid of March this year. Normally I used Swiss and SA from Zurich to Johannesburg and then to Harare.
This year I will use Ethiopian Airlines from Geneva to Addis Abeba and then on to Harare.
I have read that Zimbabwe requires a yellow fever vaccination if you are entering from a yellow fever endemic area. What i found in the internet Ethiopia is such an area.

My question is the following:
Is a yellow fever vaccination needed to enter Zimbabwe if you have only been in transit in Addis Abeba?

I assume some of you have been through Addis Abeba to Harare when flying with Ethiopian Airlines and should have some experiences.

A second question concerning the Covid 19 test to be taken when leaving Harare:
Where did you take this test (in Harare or at the Airport) and how long does it takes you to get the results?

Kind regards

Florian

Posts: 30 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Do I Need Vaccines for Zimbabwe?
Yes, some vaccines are recommended or required for Zimbabwe. The CDC and WHO recommend the following vaccinations for Zimbabwe: hepatitis A, hepatitis B, typhoid, cholera, yellow fever, rabies, meningitis, polio, measles, mumps and rubella (MMR), Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis), chickenpox, shingles, pneumonia and influenza.

Yellow Fever -- Mosquito --- Required if traveling from a country with risk of yellow fever transmission

I have had my Yellow fever shots for Tanzania and Zimbabwe. My card has not been checked either time.

The question becomes are you staying on the airplane or walking in the terminal to another Airplane to continue your flight to Zimbabwe. The time I landed in a yellow feed country I did not have to change airplanes, just stayed on board waiting for the new passengers to join us to continue on.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1559 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My answer would be ask your hunt operator.

They can get the information straight from Zimbabwe customs and immigration.

That being said, I’ve never been asked for my yellow card there.

The operators did ask in the process for a copy of it for Ethiopia and Cameroon- whether that was for their own purpose or the government’s I have no clue... but I’ve never been asked to produce the document on entry anywhere in Africa.

I did have the YF vaccine for Tanzania, but strangely enough, while listed as required, the Tanzanian doctors I talked with said it was not necessary... and no one ever checked.

So, I can’t give a definitive answer.

Posts: 10475 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
Florian,
Let see if I can help a bit. I transited through Addis Ababa in November on my way to Harare and no Yellow Fever card was needed. I think if you lived in Ethiopia the story may be different, but just transiting I do not believe triggers a requirement for proof of vaccination. I did my Covid test for departure at a clinic in Harare and had the results email to my phone shortly thereafter. I understand you can get them at the airport but I cannot guarantee that. My outfitter scheduled the Covid test for me and your outfitter should be able to do the same for you. Just make sure you have enough time to satisfy all the new requirements before your departure, I added an additional day to make sure.

Posts: 747 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote