New
Find
Notify
Tools

More Problems For Boeing!
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted

Posts: 66911 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They like so many others fell for the bullshit that the stock market was the economy. After that all decisions are based on this assumption. We are watching their greed become their demise.

Posts: 1007 | Registered: 21 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very simple, profits over safety, Fuck the people who fly in these things. Wink

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1586 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
They probably never tested the software with the systems being powered on for days at a time.

Reminds me of the old days of Windows NT Server memory leaks. We had to reboot the servers once a week for "maintenance" to prevent issues.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Some of the brightest minds in the software world are located just north of Boeing’s factory. I wonder if it ever occurred to anyone at Boeing to seek the help of the software geniuses at Microsoft? I cannot imagine this is a problem that Microsoft couldn’t solve in relatively short order.

Posts: 3851 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can probably make a toilet fly, with the appropriate software, but that doesn't mean it's aerodynamically sound. Big Grin

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1586 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
...I cannot imagine this is a problem that Microsoft couldn’t solve in relatively short order.

What takes time is not fixing the problem, but running all the test suites and verifying the fix is good.

Back in the day I found an esoteric bug in software I had written for the Space Shuttle. Fix for that bug was literally 10 minutes, five lines of assembly code. Going through code review, test suites and recertification was 6 months.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Can't they simply do a Hard Refresh at 40.000 ft?.....LOL

Posts: 2326 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When any company becomes publicly owned they will eventually fall in to the category of being run by finance and HR.
In those realms where does passion and creativity exist? It does not!
People familiar with the business get pushed out by cutting corners and costs.
People qualified for their positions are pushed out for non qualified college MBA's (lack of wisdom and the ability recognize mine fields in the specific business realm) which are basically unknowledgeable investments (dumb asses).
It is notable that they live in a "hive" or nest among their peers. They need that nest.
If you take them out of that hive and put them into a position where they have to make decisions on their own, most fail.
Just move on to the next job with little care.
Not as many folks are as committed to their jobs and associates anymore but that is the doing of the large publicly owned corporations that are basically run by a good ole boys club.
The good creative folks that can stand on their own do not exist in the hive but start new businesses.
They cannot live in the molasses environment of large corporations. Most do not have MBA's !!!!
Someone told them it looks good on a resume.
Too many young overly educated but completely unqualified people in responsible roles within big business these days.
Someone told me once upon a time.I do not want smart people. I want people that know how to get the job done.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote