THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Heads Up Johannesburg Airport
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heads Up Johannesburg Airport
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
The past couple of weeks, I got messages from 3 parties passing through Joberg, who have had items stolen from their bags.

Frankly, I would avoid that place if I can anytime.

I know passengers have been complaining, the airlines have been complaining, but those running the airport do not seem to care.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66936 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2012 they did the old pen through the zipper trick on my bag.

Wasn't anything worth stealing. Was on my way to Tete in Moz.

Same warnings on here then.

Not the only place this happens.

DRSS

Posts: 1905 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
ANYTHING of value goes in my carry on bag when transmitting Joberg.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13143 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
The past couple of weeks, I got messages from 3 parties passing through Joberg, who have had items stolen from their bags.

Frankly, I would avoid that place if I can anytime.

I know passengers have been complaining, the airlines have been complaining, but those running the airport do not seem to care.

Those running the airport are on the take, no incentive to stop anything.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have heard the same thing. I got a horror story just today.

I see more Emirates flights in the future for me.

One story was quite comical. The guys bags wee broken into. Some valuable things were stolen. A knife for example. When he finally got his bags, there was a set of women's pajamas in his bag.

Posts: 11958 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
At the Johannesburg airport I have seen some freaked out passengers looking at their checked luggage that was wide open and their clothing was spread around it, on to the conveyor belt. Actually some of the clothing was quite colorful if you may ask. On that trip, I am thinking that there were 6 luggage bags that were opened up and the items were in and out of the bag. I am sure that they were all missing some items that they had packed.

I did have a passenger (or I thought that they were a passenger) Trying to take my one checked bags. Bruce from Gracy Travel rounded up my bag and the passenger just looked at him. Bruce, kindly let the man know that the bag belonged to one of his customers, which was me, as I was standing behind Bruce.

Since that time I now have different color ID tags and I have found a color luggage strap that is lockable that I put on my bags. However some people seen to miss the purple luggage strap and still want to take my bag.

I use the Gracy VIP service, and it has been a great options while traveling. One time Bruce went back to where the luggage handlers and retrieved my checked bag. The Gracy crew know what is happening and they take care of their customers.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1575 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We returned home today from a hunt in the Eastern Cape, we flew Qatar from DFW and connected to SAAirlink.
Last October we flew Qatar to Mozambique, connecting in Joburg with SAAirlink...4 people in our party had their bags broken into, stupid items stolen, in Joburg and two bags ruined, one of them mine. Return flights on that hunt were reverse and our one remaining bag was broken into and ruined on the way home.
ON the flight into our hunt last week, mine and my sons bags did not make it to Port Elizabeth, both bags contained our ammo (I know, ammo isnt supposed to be in checked bag but they "couldn't find " our bags in Joburg to have ammo removed), I was shooting .300 WM so not a hunt ender, but my son was shooting .338-06, be impossible to find. His bag showed up on a later flight, had been broken into, a custom pocketknife and stupid stuff stolen, mine didn't. The next day we were notified my bag was on the way and when it arrived, it too had been broken into. Gun wipes, bore snakes, cheap flashlight and sox had been stolen. But, as Larry mentioned above, a nice pair of ladies pajamas had been placed in my bag...way too big for my wife so gave them to kitchen staff. Also, an empty shoe bag was placed in my bag (empty, of course). I don't blame Qatar for this, I blame SAAirlink and ACSA (Airport Company South Africa), I believe they could do something about this theft, they just don't want to. PHASA has been made aware of this problem as well as TBCAS (Tourist Business Council South Africa), and PHASA is supposed to trying to bring this problem to the forefront.
The common denominator in my incidents has been SAAirlink, I think there might be a problem there.
There are two more airlines that carry firearms in the region, SafAir and CemAir, though CemAir has smaller planes and fewer options. I do know that the security head of SafAir has been made aware of this issue and have been told the same will happen with Cemair.

Now, on our return today from Joburg, my sons baggage arrived and we were told our bags were not loaded in Joburg (on Qatar). However, while waiting on our firearms to be brought to oversize baggage, our suitcases popped out on the carousel. My sons bag had been broken into and ruined (zippers broken off and bag slit on the side), he was bitching to the Qatar agent at baggage services and she told him that almost 20% of bags are not loaded on correct flight from Joburg, ACSA has a huge problem there. She also had no idea how my wife and my bag made it to DFW on our scheduled flight.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2745 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I always transit with a duffel bag with no lock. Nothing inside but old hunting clothes. All the thieves need to do is unzip the bag and help themselves. Never a problem, no broken zippers, nothing stolen. If you travel through Joberg, be willing to lose whatever is in your checked bag.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
I always transit with a duffel bag with no lock. Nothing inside but old hunting clothes. All the thieves need to do is unzip the bag and help themselves. Never a problem, no broken zippers, nothing stolen. If you travel through Joberg, be willing to lose whatever is in your checked bag.

I pretty much agree with you philosophy except I carry ammo which needs a lock on the bag. And a knife that I can’t put in my carry on. These guys are stealing really dumb things, I was told that shoes (size 5-8) are sought after, I guess my size 12 boots were too big. And T shirts, any size. And allergy medication (I actually get this one). I will not transit Joburg if there is another way to get where I’m going.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2745 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I quit traveling with a gun years ago, so ammo is no problem. I wear my Courteney’s and put flip flops in my bag. Nothing else is in my bag that I can’t replace in minutes. Headed through Joberg to East London in a month with wife, stepson and his wife. My wife knows the rules and we’ve told the youngsters but I’m guessing they will pack too much and get pilfered. Some lessons you have to learn the hard way. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure. The first-timers will take too much stuff. I know we did our first couple of hunts. Good for you for taking the stepson and his wife! I hope they are as smitten with Africa as I was!

Karl Evans

Administrator
posted Hide Post
There is absolutely no reason to cow tow to the criminals running South Africa.

Go hunt somewhere else and avoid that shit hole.

When the money dries up they might change.

They did for the World Cup so it wasn’t undoable.

Posts: 66936 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
Baggage theft occurs everywhere. Some places more than others. I don't pack anything in checked luggage that cannot be replaced and I don't lock my bag when flying anywhere. Everyone and their dog has a TSA key. What's the point. Yes the ammo case is locked and that bag is locked, but nothing but t-shirts, etc.

Posts: 752 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What's the current lock situation in JNB? I plan to have have padlocks on my rifle case (which also houses most of my clothing, etc.) but I've been told I need TSA locks on ammo, etc. I'm direct from ATL to JNB, overnighting and then connecting to HRE on Airlink. Recent intel appreciated.

Posts: 988 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The whole idea of having a specific design lock is so stupid!

Why can’t the TSA examine the rifles at check in as in other countries, and you can put any lock you like??

I bet the TSA locks are not that hard to pick.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodhits:
What's the current lock situation in JNB? I plan to have have padlocks on my rifle case (which also houses most of my clothing, etc.) but I've been told I need TSA locks on ammo, etc. I'm direct from ATL to JNB, overnighting and then connecting to HRE on Airlink. Recent intel appreciated.

Airlink requires ammo to be in a locked container, and they will charge you a rifle handling fee (R575.00 I think and they only accept Rand, wouldn’t accept credit card last week).
I’ve used TSA locks on my ammo case ever since the locks were cut off of my ammo case by TSA at DFW. But they were kind enough to tape the box up with TSA tape.

Karl Evans

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good info, thanks.

Posts: 988 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
quote:
they will charge you a rifle handling fee (R575.00 I think and they only accept Rand, wouldn’t accept credit card last week).

Is that fee per gun or per case? Just wondering since I normally take two riles.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2294 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Labman:
quote:
they will charge you a rifle handling fee (R575.00 I think and they only accept Rand, wouldn’t accept credit card last week).

Is that fee per gun or per case? Just wondering since I normally take two riles.

Charged us per rifle, what a screwing since no SAairlink employee touched the gun case, all done by contract security company,

Karl Evans

one of us
posted Hide Post
A few weeks ago, Air LInk took my Credit Card just fine for charges.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Terry Blauwkamp:
A few weeks ago, Air LInk took my Credit Card just fine for charges.

That’s good…but I can tell you that on July 21 the SAAirlink clerk would not accept credit card and insisted on Rand. Had to wait for currency exchange to open to pay for ridiculous transfer charge, will not connect with SAAirlink on any flight in the future.

Karl Evans

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As far as I know, that fee is required by every airline in South Africa that accepts guns? Safair is even more expensive. Only way to avoid paying a fee is stay out of South Africa or drive long distances for even more money. But that is all irrelevant. It doesn't surprise me they wouldn't accept a card, since they were probably pocketing the money Big Grin the one who took a card was probably being legit Eeker

Posts: 58 | Location: Utah | Registered: 17 July 2015Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
In all my travels around the world, the only place my bag was opened and items stolen was Johannesburg.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TSA requires TSA locks on ammo cases but not on rifle cases

Posts: 197 | Location: Stickney,So Dakota | Registered: 12 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It doesn't surprise me they wouldn't accept a card, since they were probably pocketing the money Big Grin the one who took a card was probably being legit Eeker

100%. Two of the 3 times I’ve done this it was early in the morning and there was only one person manning the Airlink baggage office. Last week he opened and closed his cash drawer but I didn’t see him put cash in it, my son paid right after I did and the guy put his cash in the drawer, might have put both payments in but I doubt it. Last September the lady laid the cash on a table next to a printer in the back of the space, didn’t get a receipt on that one, the lady only wrote “paid” on the small form that the ticket agent gave me.

Karl Evans

One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
In all my travels around the world, the only place my bag was opened and items stolen was Johannesburg.

You must not have been to Rio.

Posts: 752 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
Went through J’burg a couple weeks ago and Airlink was ok using credit card at JNB and Polokwane. Luckily no issues with bags.

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 870 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Strange to me......I've been through joberg, probably 25 times not a single problem.

Transferred airlink to Port Elizabeth, Hoedspruit, Phalaborwa, and Polokwane many times, every time with guns, no issues.

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

The Pelican Case suitcase is the only way to go. You of course can break into it but it would require bolt cutters or a saw. Probably not worth it for the average baggage thief. Those zippers are just an invitation to rummage through your luggage.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
Strange to me......I've been through joberg, probably 25 times not a single problem.

Transferred airlink to Port Elizabeth, Hoedspruit, Phalaborwa, and Polokwane many times, every time with guns, no issues.

We’ve transferred thru Joburg at least as many times as you, flying Airlink out of Joburg quite a few times, the thievery problem only started (for us) last September.

Karl Evans

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark are you using TSA locks on that Pelican bag or real padlocks?

quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Guys,

The Pelican Case suitcase is the only way to go. You of course can break into it but it would require bolt cutters or a saw. Probably not worth it for the average baggage thief. Those zippers are just an invitation to rummage through your luggage.

Mark

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The only airport on earth where we have experienced theft from our luggage is OR Tambo.

We now avoid it at all costs.

I am convinced it is a hub of organized crime.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13387 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LHowell

You can now buy a very robust TSA lock and that is what I use on my Pelican suitcase. Of course that is the rule to use the TSA locks. Wal Mart carries a wide selection of TSA locks.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark!

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Guys,

Mark

Mark,
Could you kindly post a link to the one you recommend? (I know you have before but I lost it.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36552 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Yes, Mark, please tell us which heavy TSA locks you would recommend for the Pelican Air. I have just ordered another Pelican Air, this time for my wife, from ColorCase here in Las Vegas, and will go pick it up when it comes in. They are down south on the 215 near the Warm Springs exit. They give a discount for those in Las Vegas that will come by and pick up their case in the store.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I was asking for a link to the specific Pelican case Mark was referring to.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36552 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
I was asking for a link to the specific Pelican case Mark was referring to.

Lane,
This is it:
Pelican Air 1615

There was an earlier thread in this forum with more discussion.

Posts: 675 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check this TSA lock for the Pelican.

TSA Lock

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Here is another good option that shaves 3 lbs.

Solgaard Check-in

J. Lane Easter, DVM