Find
Notify
Tools

Sittin in Zim
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted
Staying at Ballantynes B&B waiting for dinner so I thought I’d share my travel experience. Flew out of IAH.

I got my COVID test through Arcpoint labs in Sugarland. They offer the (same) PCR test just $75 more to get it expedited- 2 hrs vs next day. You sign up online, pay, park in front of the lab and they come out to your car. I received my results in under 2 hrs. I went the day before just for peace of mind.

Checking in was the usual SOP. Nothing new. Make a note which ticket stub is for your weapons.

I stayed at the international hotel within the transit area of the airport. Emirates offers free COVID testing for offsite hotels but for me, it was worth it not having to go through security again. Emirates insisted the 48 hrs and transit status would have remained had I stayed at their offsite hotel. Now I could have gotten my test the same day, went to the offsite hotel and stayed within the 48 hr window for my connection but peace of mind (and no second security) was worth the couple hundred bucks. Contrary to what I was told by TWG the Dept of Health person at Harare could not have known the transit status/location of my overnight stay. As long as you make your connection within 48 hrs it doesn’t matter where you stay.

Once again, it is 48 hrs from embarkation not cumulative to step on Zimbabwe soil. So it is up to your itinerary as to which flight is within the 48 hrs and which hotel to stay at.

FYI I approach the DBX connecting gate counter well before boarding to check in and let them know I’m traveling with firearms (they’ll ask for the ticket stub for the firearms). They will call baggage and check them in otherwise you may be standing at the gate for a while.

You can download the Zim firearms permit. Don’t forget it is in triplicate and you will need to provide a local address on the form. You can always use the address on your letter of invite.

You will get two forms on the plane. One is a health questionnaire the other a data form. You will also have to fill out the small immigration form on the right wall as it wasn’t provided onboard.

Since the 48 hrs is from time to embarkation I paper clipped my first boarding pass to the COVID test results, their health questionnaire and a copy of my COVID vaccine just for good measure.

I made 4 copies of my documents.

Something new- immigration asked to see my return ticket. You may want to print that out. I just showed them my return flights on my Emirates app.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great intel FMC. I made a trip to Uganda last month on Emirates from IAH and had zero issues.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Wish I was going with you Frank. Have a great time!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go kill something big....

And then share pics...

Posts: 10133 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Good luck on your hunt Frank. Smiler

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36473 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Good hunting Doc!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update Doc. Good luck.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12523 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent info, thanks for that! My daughter and I leave for Zim May 22, so this is very valuable.

Posts: 433 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote