Find
Notify
Tools

RIFLE STOCK CARVING
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of David Whyman
posted
Some of you may know me on here as a glass engraver, but recently I have tried my hand at rifle stock carving using my same dental drill as I use for the glass ,but with different burrs -using a tungston carbide cutting edge burr instead of the diamond impregnated burrs which I usually use. I have carved the stock of my old Parker Hale .270 rifle after first having the old polyurethane finished removed and having an oiled finish (never did like that varnish finish )Here it is carved with a roebuck and doe

The measure of a man is by the way he treats another www.davidwhymancrystal.co.uk

Posts: 151 | Location: England | Registered: 08 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
Incredible talent David

Posts: 2091 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
If you decide to find another wood substitute for walnut you will come up dissapointed.

I have tried to use a similar glass engraving machine on several different materials to find that only walnut is hard enough.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Whyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MOA TACTICAL:
If you decide to find another wood substitute for walnut you will come up dissapointed.

I have tried to use a similar glass engraving machine on several different materials to find that only walnut is hard enough.

Oak carves very well with the drill but of cause you don't get oak rifle stocks .
French walnut is good to carve as well as American blue walnut

The measure of a man is by the way he treats another www.davidwhymancrystal.co.uk

One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
Mine doesn't like American oak.

Any walnut works well.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is cool. Nice way to touch up a plain figured stock.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Although I am not a fan of carved stocks, that is still beautiful. I recently returned from a trip to a number of European and Eastern European countries and had the chance to see a number of wild roe deer as we traveled. Very Nice! tu2

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
some people do not like that, but it is so Bavarian, with class and simplicity that makes you think of the last time you saw one running through the brush...Excellent!

Next are the oaks and acorns for you huh?

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Well said! tu2

One of Us
Picture of Jriley
posted Hide Post
I really like it. It's ornate enough to be impressive without being over the top.

One of Us
Picture of David Whyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
That is cool. Nice way to touch up a plain figured stock.

I just love Roe deer and will hopefully be hunting some next week up in Scotland along with Sika, and Red

One of Us
Picture of David Whyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Although I am not a fan of carved stocks, that is still beautiful. I recently returned from a trip to a number of European and Eastern European countries and had the chance to see a number of wild roe deer as we traveled. Very Nice! tu2

I am going to engrave the metal on the rifle action with a little acorn and oak leaf design. there is not a big area to engrave but I think it will just finish off this old but trusty rifle

One of Us
Picture of aoudadhunter
posted Hide Post
Beautiful

Bar B Diamond Outfitters
Specializing in Free Range Aoudad Sheep hunts.
Also offering all Texas native game and many exotics.

Posts: 131 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 June 2012Reply With Quote