Find
Notify
Tools

Karl Rungius...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How "important" is he for the US hunters?´

Is he a "role-model" like Wilhelm Kuhnert for the German hunters?

I like his realistic painting and that he included great nature Scenes in this pictures also.
I like his details.

Was he in Africa also?

Are there books or articles about him, his hunting tripps?
Links?

Thank you.

B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Rungius

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a book that contains his paintings. Like Terry Redlin, he painted in a style that was all his own.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I search for infos about his hunting tripps, pp.
Pictures also, if possible.
Datas about his guns, pp.

Was he ever in Africa?
(I think not.)

India?
Canada (This can be possible.)?

Witch books about his painting is a good one?

Thank you for your help and support.
Best wishes.

B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
"Carl Rungius - Artist and Sportsman" is the book I have. It has some photos of some of his hunts.

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
I have a book that contains his paintings. Like Terry Redlin, he painted in a style that was all his own.

Mentioning Rungius in the same sentence with Terry Redlin? Redlin paints syrupy, formulaic CRAP. Rungius was an artist.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alec Torres:
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:

Mentioning Rungius in the same sentence with Terry Redlin? Redlin paints syrupy, formulaic CRAP. Rungius was an artist.

Hey, they are both better than Mark Rothko!

What I meant was they both paint in a manner that is immediately recognizable.

BTW, Redlin died in 2016. I don't own any of his stuff but he is quite popular in the Midwest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Carl Rungius was German born and immigrated to the U.S. A must read is the classic "The Wilderness of the Upper Yukon" by Chas. Sheldon who was accompanied by Rungius. For those who appreciate his artwork, there is currently on display a combined exhibition featuring Mr. Rungius at the National Museum of Wildlife Art in Jackson, Wyoming. I believe it runs through the end of August. The wife and I are planning to visit the museum this summer. Rungius is an absolute favorite of mine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BTW-
The book "Snyder's Book of Big Game Hunting" by Harry M. Snyder (of Hoffman Arms) has as its dust jacket Carl Rungius' painting "The Stampede".

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 275RIGBY:
BTW-
The book "Snyder's Book of Big Game Hunting" by Harry M. Snyder (of Hoffman Arms) has as its dust jacket Carl Rungius' painting "The Stampede".

Lucky enough to have that book. Wink Snyder owned a ranch west of Sundre here, for a few years . Interesting man as well. Lots of ups and downs in his life.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
If you like Rungius paintings you might check out a contemporary painter named Dan Metz. I have several of Dan's pieces and while not an exact duplicate of Rungius work, you do see a commonality of styles.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7503 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Looking at the artwork from the other two mentioned and Rungius' work, there is no comparison in the closest and the other is not in the same universe.

16 of his paintings are to be found here.

https://www.wikiart.org/en/car...y,resultType:masonry

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4220 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any infos about his guns, pp?

Thanks.

F.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was at the Wildlife Museum in Jackson Hole a few years ago, they had an entire room dedicated to Rungius work and a exhibit of some of his personal effects, easel, paint box, camera and a rifle.

It was a drilling. It was in a glass case and so I couldn't exactly examine it closely but it appeared to be either a 12 or 16 ga over what seemed to be a 40ish caliber of some sort. There was a cartridge next to it that appeared to be some sort of 40ish caliber bottle neck a bit longer than a 45-70. Since he was German and did travel to Germany maybe he acquired something there.

One of my books on him shows him with a dead elk and he is holding a bolt action rifle of indeterminable make. The photo was about 1900 to 1905 so it was probably in a caliber that was popular at that time, maybe someone who is a collector could propose a probable caliber. He did hunt with Charles Sheldon so perhaps it was a 6.5 M-S or perhaps some popular German maker.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you.
I try to contact the museum, to get the complete info.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
A very fine artist

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9842 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote