New
Find
Notify
Tools

scrimshaw question/help required
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
G'day all, I was lucky to take a really nice bison this year in Texas and I will have it shoulder mounted, BUT I was thinking of getting a scrimshaw image on it something like an Indian on horse back hunting a herd of bison. Does anyone know where I could get this done before I have it shipped to Australia? cheers

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Contact Joanne Ryal Artemis wild designs. She's based in he UK but may be able to help you.

I'm not sure if Jo is still doing scrim work but it's worth seeing if she has a reccomendation.

K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you talking about getting an image on the horns of your bison? Anything is possible, but working on in situ horns for scrim would significantly increase the difficulty and costs IMO. In addition, for most scrim work, the surfaces have to be polished, raw bison horns would not be ideal IMO.

At any rate, here is a thread, which I contributed to, with many names of good scimshanders listed. You should contact some of them and see what they say. Ron Leubke is superb on human figures, but you'd have to ask him about your kind of images.
Also, I don't want to say what someone would charge for such a scene, but it would not be cheap. Good luck.

Scrim thread

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Darrel Morris does some great scrimshaw and is located in the USA. I recommend googling him.

one of us
posted Hide Post
He does very fine work and I was not familiar with him. Thanks for the rec. tu2

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote