New
Find
Notify
Tools

Friedrich Wilhelm Kuhnert
 Login/Join

<generalwar>
posted
Friedrich Wilhelm Kuhnert, German (1865 - 1926)
45 1/8"x 85 1/8" oil on fabric, ca.1916

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I love Kuhnert's work! Anyone know a link to any for sale here in the U.S.?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7503 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Don't know of any for sale, but when I worked at the Fort Worth Zoo, they had one of the largest private collections of Kuhnert art around I believe.

They even built a special gallery to house it.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
<generalwar>
posted
His last painting to come to market was sold through Sotheby's 2010 for a staggering hammer price.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Kuhnert is a master.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9842 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the painting posted above was at Dallas SC a few years ago it is awesome

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sculptor
posted Hide Post
Several of his paintings are now on display at the National Wildlife Museum in Jackson hole Wyoming. They are all breath taking.

Posts: 727 | Location: Cody Wyoming | Registered: 17 December 2005Reply With Quote
<generalwar>
posted
He really had a way of exuding the realistic drama to his paintings, you just feel good looking in to them.

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by generalwar:
He really had a way of exuding the realistic drama to his paintings, you just feel good looking in to them.

Better than the fellow in the painting above, anyway!

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
generalwar, where in Surrey did you reside. I lived in Walton-on-Thames from 1975-78. Great times for a 15yr old!

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.sitemason.com/page/drWnaU

Link to story of maneater painting.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9341 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kathi, very interesting.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is the most shocking piece of art I've ever seen. So graphic and a true aspect of Africa that the 'greenys' would faint over or be DRT.

Shortly I'm putting up some watercolors from a Julius Wolf that were done in Ethopia back in the '50s. Don't know a thing about him despite looking everywhere. A relative gave them to me and I think I'm going to put them up for grabs.

I've got to see the other paintings from the 'man eater' artist.

Posts: 25 | Location: 2407 Regan Ave. Boise, Id. | Registered: 20 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Isn't that the painting that just sold on Lewis Drakes website?

Posts: 1743 | Registered: 25 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes it is and, to answer my own question, there is a writeup on it anhd some additional pictures.

One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link, Kathi. I have had numerous discussions with artist colleagues over the history of this painting. Your link sets the record straight,

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
It's an African analog to Ernest Thompson Seton's "Triumph of the Wolves." Well worth the trip to Philmont Scout Ranch near Cimarron, New Mexico.

http://www.scouting.org/siteco...Library/triumph.aspx

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16271 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder how much a painting like that sells for. Was a price published ? I know my wife would not let me hang it up in the living room. It's such a shocker

Posts: 25 | Location: 2407 Regan Ave. Boise, Id. | Registered: 20 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't believe there was a price, let me look.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was not there, I emailed them, lets see if they will tell us. There is some interesting history to that painting on Drakes website.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also asked Drake for a sale price and have heard nothing, yet. Been since last week.

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to meet the wife who would let this painting hang in the living room. It's a given mine won't.

This has to be the most shocking African art I've seen.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Banovich has a similar painting. You can hang them both in your living room . . . assuming you are single.

Mike

Posts: 21051 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
Not all art is meant to be hung in the living room! For example, either one of those two pieces would look pretty good in my gunroom - right next to the coyote skulls!

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saw the Banovich in his last mailing; it's one of a few that I hope my wife selects from for Christmas. I'm saving a space between a kudu and gemsbok right over the computer in my office for the picture.

They deliver two buffalo -- a floor pedestal and a European, and a Coke's Hartebeest and Wildebeest next week (rest is going home). Office is starting to take shape.

Posts: 9935 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote