THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting And Wildlife Fine Art    Can anyone recommend an African wildlife painter?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can anyone recommend an African wildlife painter?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted
I bowhunted Tanzania for cape buffalo several years ago and have a
picture (only) in my head of a herd that stampeded from both sides of
us where we'd crawled up amongst 'em in an effort to get to a bull.
The herd ran from the plains towards the nearby woods and a dozen of
the older cows and bulls turned back in a line to face us (looking
down their nose as they do) as the rest disappeared into the woods.
The herd was about 200 head. The dust they raised was billowing about
them and partially obscuring them - especially the part disappearing
into the woodline. The sun was near setting about 45 degrees to my
right (sorta behind the woods) and the curls of the dust matched the
curls of their horns. The angle of the sun made the ones going into
the woods mostly dark blurred shapes - mostly asses with wringing
tails. The picture in my head is a mixture of detailed sharp images of
"the line" with an almost impressionist background/edges.

I wrote that description several months ago and started sending it around. So far I've not had a response from an artist whose work I admire. A painter named John Banovich has done some great work - even some with "the line" in the name - but he has not responded. (http://www.johnbanovich.com/)

Any recommendations would be welcome.

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
as a word of warning. if John Banovich did respond, i can assure you a painting by him such as you describe would be upwards of $30,000. he does wonderful work but it is very expensive, at least for larger panorama type pictures....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13143 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I can do it for twenty?

Something like this?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9868 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
Don_G:

John Banovich works on a few commissions each year. The cost of an original painting will be expensive relative to other artists and his commissions must be a collaboration of ideas that fit within what he mentally invasions. I spoke to John at the DSC show about this very topic.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
I guess my appetite overloaded my ... wallet. I had no idea how expensive this would be. I was thinking $5k.

Maybe I'll keep the picture in my head and spend the money on a hunt. Smiler

fairgame, the viewpoint would be from my knees at a range of about 60 yards. The trees must have been 30 yards or so behind the line. But that's a very good painting, indeed.

Don_G

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
for 5k you might get a framed giclee print of his...

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don_G:
I guess my appetite overloaded my ... wallet. I had no idea how expensive this would be. I was thinking $5k.

Maybe I'll keep the picture in my head and spend the money on a hunt. Smiler

fairgame, the viewpoint would be from my knees at a range of about 60 yards. The trees must have been 30 yards or so behind the line. But that's a very good painting, indeed.

Don,

It is an enhanced photograph.

To get someone to paint such a vision is extremely difficult and the artists image and yours may vary which could turn out to be disappointing.

My advice is to look through wildlife art websites as see if there is anything in print that comes close to your memory.

Best

Andrew

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
posted Hide Post
Might send an e-mail to Larry Norton, Don. I've got some of his work that I really like. He generally, however, only paints what he has seen/experienced.

Google Larr Norton painter to find his email, and look at his prices. You might make a deal if you let him market prints of the acrylic he does for you...

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1319 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don a friend of mine is a very talented artist and does do African paintings. His name is Hans Boyeson and his web site is Hans Boye Boyesen.com. He does a lot of water colors and some other types of media. He has done some paintings for our safari club and they have gone over well. PM me and I can give you his number if you like and he can email you some of his other works not shown in the gallery.

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Don,

Maybe this will help the artist with your description. There were at least 100 buffalo running away. It was taken in Tanzania on our first safari.

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Those are some great pics, and put me right back in the Selous.

Thanks,
Don

Don_G

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don`t like Banovitch`s paintings.I do not like the style and what else.I find them too agressive.I think you can have a beatifull painting made for a little over 500 dollars.When I was at SCI I checked out all the paintings and there was something wrong with nearly all of them.One fellow-looked lke from Asian decent had some very nice stuff butt there was something that screwed it up,IMO.It was a nice leopard painting but the eyes on the leopard were shining too artificially.There was someones painting that were really nice,IMO.I think it was someone from Montana and they did hunting dogs and I can not remember what else but the paintings were really nice and I could not find anything wrong with them.It was not an expensive painter and it was easy to miss the booth etc...but I think the painter was a natural.Another thing is that when you spend alot of time in the subjects surroundings then the way things should be may become engraved in your head and the end product is very real or natural.It would be like me describing the street I grew up on and lived on for many years-everything is engraved in my memory.A painting has to have soul,IMO.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
an original painting( not a print ) for $500? maybe in an art class but not in the real world. the "Asian" gentlemen you mentioned is Eric Forlee- a native Zimbabwean and recognized as one of the best wildlife artist out there today. thank God you don't have to make a living as an artist or art critic- you would starve....

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I don`t like Banovitch`s paintings.I do not like the style and what else.I find them too agressive.I think you can have a beatifull painting made for a little over 500 dollars.When I was at SCI I checked out all the paintings and there was something wrong with nearly all of them.One fellow-looked lke from Asian decent had some very nice stuff butt there was something that screwed it up,IMO.It was a nice leopard painting but the eyes on the leopard were shining too artificially.There was someones painting that were really nice,IMO.I think it was someone from Montana and they did hunting dogs and I can not remember what else but the paintings were really nice and I could not find anything wrong with them.It was not an expensive painter and it was easy to miss the booth etc...but I think the painter was a natural.Another thing is that when you spend alot of time in the subjects surroundings then the way things should be may become engraved in your head and the end product is very real or natural.It would be like me describing the street I grew up on and lived on for many years-everything is engraved in my memory.A painting has to have soul,IMO.

I studied Lions for my degree and my painting was more about impression and clout than realism. In this painting you focus on the Lion's eyes and in life this is what you do. The rest is irrelevant.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:

I studied Lions for my degree and my painting was more about impression and clout than realism. In this painting you focus on the Lion's eyes and in life this is what you do. The rest is irrelevant.

I would buy that Lion in a heartbeat. Let me know when it's available.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I've always liked Bodo Meier's watercolors, but I don't know if he does commission work.

http://www.bodo-meier.de/html/afrika14.html

I have also seen some of Craig Bone's work in a gallery, and I like some of them.

http://www.craigbone.com/page2/index.html

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[URL= ]leopard[/URL]
Eric Forlee

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
See how beautiful the leaves are and the color of the tree limb.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
so this painting had eyes that were too shiny and it screwed it up? REALLY????

one of us
posted Hide Post
No not this one another just as nice except for the eyes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I checked out some of his paintings on the web and there is alot of junk that he did,IMO.To make a nice painting the artist has to be very talented and it all has to come together too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Checkout Leon Fouche from South Africa... Leon is getting quite a following at DSC and HSC. Personally I think he does the best lifelike pastels that I have seen. You can still get a reasonable size original from him for about $6,000 but would I expect that to increase very soon... Leon does commission work too and Greg Rodriguez is his agent in the USA.

http://www.fouchestudios.co.za/

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
The art of copying photographs.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
True, but I think a photograph may be used to help in whatever but the art has to have soul above anything.The same way a singer has to have real life experiences in the things they write and then sing about.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
True, but I think a photograph may be used to help in whatever but the art has to have soul above anything.The same way a singer has to have real life experiences in the things they write and then sing about.

Agreed but I was referring to Matt's link. The artist here is basically duplicating quality photographs which is something a computer can do nowadays.

Clever and talented but not my cup of tea.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Don,

Try Late Bloomer and I am sure that you and he can come up with the image you are after.

Put the print on canvas and save yourself a fortune.

Cheers

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
I find a rapper when I combine Africa and Late Bloomer. Any further clues?

Don_G

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Don, Late Bloomer is a member on these forums. Check out the African Hunting forum for a couple recent threads about his photo enhancement work and printing them on canvas.

Cheers!
Chris

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend you speak with Eric Forleee. He'll be more expensive than you want, but I've known Eric since he came to the USA, and he's a fair chap who'll likely work a deal for you. '
I'm fortunate to have 2 of Eric's earliest originals, and bought them from him when he was a starving artist who'd just come to the USA for the first time, staying in the barn of a friend's farm. Those paintings were downright cheap compared to what his paintings command today, wish I'd bought 4 or 5 more. My buddy brought him over to my house, Eric rolled some canvasses out on the floor and asked if I liked any of his work. My, how times have changed...

You might also want to go way back, to the late 70s or early 80s, and find a David Shepard print titled "In the thick stuff". It won't be exactly what you're looking for, as it only has around 7 buffalo in the painting, but I think it may be along the lines of what you're looking for. It's a splendid print, wish I had the original oil.

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ryan Perry located here in Washington State is a young, very talented artist. I own several of his original paintings purchased at our local SCI fundraiser. Ryan exhibits at the annual SCI convention, local fundraisers, and other venues.

Tim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try a guy by the name Jan Stander. look him up on facebook. Does fantastic africa as well as works on leather

Posts: 116 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 12 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am really partial to Peter Blackwell's work, in both oils and watercolors. He doesn't even attempt to make it look like a photograph, it is a painting, so those of us who worry about whether eyes are too shiny or things of that nature need not.

What I like most about Peter's work is his attention to subjects eschewed by most artists. One of my favorites was a painting of a troop of mongoose. Now what self-respecting artist would paint that instead of an elephant or lion? Peter. And somehow, the comedy of situation came through on the canvass -- if you've ever spent much time watching these amazing animals, you know what I mean.

I also really like his work with birds and people.

Not to detract from his paintings of the usual subjects -- the big five and glamour game -- I just like the stuff off the beaten track. Check out his website.

Posts: 10007 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might give this guy a shot:

http://www.bertramgallery.com/...lable_Paintings.html

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may want to check out Dan Christ.
http://www.danchristgallery.com/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello, Daniel Smith out of Bozeman, Montana is one of the finest I have ever seen. I have some of his works and they are spectacular. He is definitely gifted and I can recommend him without doubt.

best,

David

quote:
Originally posted by Don_G:
I bowhunted Tanzania for cape buffalo several years ago and have a
picture (only) in my head of a herd that stampeded from both sides of
us where we'd crawled up amongst 'em in an effort to get to a bull.
The herd ran from the plains towards the nearby woods and a dozen of
the older cows and bulls turned back in a line to face us (looking
down their nose as they do) as the rest disappeared into the woods.
The herd was about 200 head. The dust they raised was billowing about
them and partially obscuring them - especially the part disappearing
into the woodline. The sun was near setting about 45 degrees to my
right (sorta behind the woods) and the curls of the dust matched the
curls of their horns. The angle of the sun made the ones going into
the woods mostly dark blurred shapes - mostly asses with wringing
tails. The picture in my head is a mixture of detailed sharp images of
"the line" with an almost impressionist background/edges.

I wrote that description several months ago and started sending it around. So far I've not had a response from an artist whose work I admire. A painter named John Banovich has done some great work - even some with "the line" in the name - but he has not responded. (http://www.johnbanovich.com/)

Any recommendations would be welcome.