Find
Notify
Tools

What do you think?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
So I have been having a rather boring spring/summer due to another major ankle surgery and am thus off my feet. I used to dabble in artsy stuff as a kid up through college days but it dropped off the radar when I went to work full time. Due to my rather incapacitate status I broke out some watercolors and this is my first finished painting.

~Ann

Posts: 19121 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I think it is wonderful. Really nice work.
Hope your ankle heals perfectly and you aren't limited in any way.

Best

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice job, watercolors are tough to get right. You captured it well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You should continue to work on your art.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Very nicely done Ann.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66667 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Welcome back Ann !

Very nice. Like it. Based off a photo?

Keep it up

Charlie

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2243 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Really nice looking piece.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree that it is nicely done. However, in the long run, if you were to talk to a majority of art dealers who deal in this type of subject, they would tell you that "bass ackwards" paintings are not as desireable as other views.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, those art dealers have no respect for wild game. Big Grin

Yes, this is from a photo taken by a friend in North Dakota. I plan to do a second study of the same photo. I am trying to figure out how to flatten my paper out once I am done with the painting. Anyone have some good suggestions?

I plan to gift this painting to the friend who shared the photo. Oh, thanks for the kind words, guys!

quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
I agree that it is nicely done. However, in the long run, if you were to talk to a majority of art dealers who deal in this type of subject, they would tell you that "bass ackwards" paintings are not as desireable as other views.

~Ann

Posts: 19121 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
The thing to remember is that it is possible those "Art Dealers" have never seen a Pronghorn in the wild in their life!

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good on you Ann. Get well.

Posts: 10079 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like that. You are very talented.

Jim

Posts: 383 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann:

By now, how's the ankle doing?

Playing with paints n water colors
should be about as entertaining as
throwing rocks at cars. Was it? HA!

Hope you're walking well by now.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5934 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, George. Ankle is as good as it will get now after 7 surgeries. Of course the resulting nerve damage is no fun but I am no longer in agony overall.

I am also one year out on a complete lumbar fusion. Lots of remaining nerve damage from that surgery but I am able to log my woods again and process my own firewood. I will call it: life is good!

I do need to try some more painting. I have spent so much time playing catch-up here on the ranch that I have not wet a brush since spine surgery.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see it. how big is it and will you think about selling?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Domit, thank you for your interest. I actually sent it to my mother. She's a much better artist than me. She's been very depressed the last few years since my step father passed away. I was hoping to get her going back to her own artwork instead of moping in front of the TV day and night. Hasn't worked but I know she enjoyed getting that watercolor from me. You know how moms are!

I should do some more painting but need to find the time...er, make the time... Guess I am not inspired right now either!

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you are a good daughter! thanks anyway. god bless.

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I like it a lot Ann. Pronghorns are unique to north America and as far as I know, are the only animal that sheds its horn sheaths annually. I've hunted them for decades and I love the hunt and the meat. Some of the best wild game in NA. Well done my friend Smiler

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Very good work!

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, guys!

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wonderful!

Posts: 169 | Location: So Cal, ....USA | Registered: 25 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Good job Ann.
Here is an idea, take your Mom to hunt Pronghorn up near Dalhart in the Texas Panhandle and you can see them on the hoof and even bring back a couple like this:

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Guys! I really appreciate your comments.

I wish my mom would go on a hunt! She would like it for sure. Nice buck you got there!

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Nice work, Ann. I'm impressed.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:

Yes, this is from a photo taken by a friend in North Dakota. I plan to do a second study of the same photo. I am trying to figure out how to flatten my paper out once I am done with the painting. Anyone have some good suggestions?

I plan to gift this painting to the friend who shared the photo. Oh, thanks for the kind words, guys!

quote:

Ann,

Normally you stretch your paper prior to working it. Google stretching paper for watercolor or have a look at this link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c6OWKyYNKI

If the painting is not too delicate you can spray a fine mist over it before the process.

Hope this helps

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9840 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:

quote:

Ann,

Normally you stretch your paper prior to working it. Google stretching paper for watercolor or have a look at this link

If the painting is not too delicate you can spray a fine mist over it before the process.

Hope this helps

Awesome! Thank you, Andrew. Smiler

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:

quote:

Ann,

Hope this helps

Awesome! Thank you, Andrew. Smiler

When I work painting it is worth masking off a border and thus keeping the painting within the confines of this boundary for two reasons. The first is if you have to move the composition then there is space to do so. Secondly, when a framer mounts a painting they also require this space for a mount.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I must say Ann having had a good look at your painting I am very impressed with your color and brushstrokes.

However, always remember the background is an important part of the image and on your next image should consider that.

You need to think where pronghorn antelope live and in what landscape and that will dictate your colors.

I am going to give you a 7 out of 10 as a Bachelor of Art.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Andrew! I am a total novice. I appreciate all of the advice. One is never too old to learn.

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
Nice! Well done Ms. Ann.

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

Posts: 2021 | Location: Republic of Texico | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote