Find
Notify
Tools

A Question for Saeed
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted
First off, thanks for the new forum. African fine art is an integral part of the Africa experience, and I'm glad to see appropriate attention given to it.

My question is this. Do you encourage members who are artists, but not necessarily professional, to post examples of their own artwork in this forum?

I think this forum is a great idea Saeed, and am content with your answer either way. I am merely asking for clarification rather than inadvertently violating Board guidelines.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Everyone is free to post their creation here.
The only stipulation is that it has to reflect something in Africa.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66701 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the prompt reply!

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wooly ESS,
Can't wait to see some!
Please post some art!
I am going to pick up the brush and palette knife again and get to work on an African fine art piece.
My credentials?
I am self taught.
My only piece of African art so far is this scene of Walter trying to help Saeed on safari. It is a lot like the drawings I did at age six years old, but inspired by a combination of Gary Larson's Far Side and "The Saeed and Walter Video Series":

However, at age 16, I got a Christmas gift of an oil painting art kit.
I sat on the bank of my favorite fishing pond for two hours and did this oil sketch on a 12"x16" canvas.
Relation to Africa: Swallows skimming for insects will be seen in many parts of Africa, also water (sometimes called pans) and trees.

Then I painted Jesus, copied from the first page of the family Bible, to impress my future father-in-law with my good intentions toward his daughter. Oil on canvas, 18"x24".
Africa connection: There are no atheists in the safari party when an elephant charges.

My last semester of highschool I had senior-spring-fever bad!
I wanted to goof off, so I elected to take an art elective, though I had never had an art class before, and not since.
I got to do anything I wanted there, just kill time even.
So I thought a big canvas might impress a certain girl in the class. 3 feet by 4 feet, and a sedate portrait of the homeboy US Senator's old family home, copied from a snapshot with my Kodak Instamatic. The peacock and sparrows were added to liven up a very boring scene. Snow was added and the trees made bare when I decided leaves and grass would be too much work for a senior. Oil on canvas 36"x48".
Africa Connection: The house was built with slave labor, of bricks made by slaves in the ante bellum period.

Mr. Jackson, descended from the mansion builders, oil on canvas 16"x20".
Africa connection: Obvious.

"Old Kentucky Mill," oil on canvas 22"x30".
Africa connection: Though actually located near Somerset, KY, it was from a photo in a "Kool" cigarette ad in an "Outdoor Life" magazine that contained an article about African safari hunting. Also more water and trees.

"Duck Pond with Black Cow," oil on canvas 24"x36".
African connection: Black bovine.

"Wendell Berry Plowing," a local author of some fame who likes to play at farming, oil on canvas 16"x20".
African connection: More of this activity needs to be done in Zimbabwe.

Then in 1987, during a long Alaskan winter night at Elmendorf AFB, I discovered acrylic paint, after seeing the cover of "Wildlife Art" magazine, and reading that the Canadian artist Ron Parker did the moose on the cover with acrylic.
I copied this moose by looking at the cover of the magazine.
Voila! I am in training as a wildlife artist.
"Blue Moose," acrylic on canvas 18"x24".
African connection: That issue of "Wildlife Art" was also just plumb full of African animals.

Next painting:
"Blue Sky Tusker" ... A big Botswana bull striding, quartering-on into the direct foreground, with big sky and background horizon of vegetation and plain, and some antelope and birds to give perspective to the size of the tusker.

After that, some "story" scenes with hunters and rifles and the killing fields.
Not enough of that has been done.

DRG says: "Kiss my liberal grits!" animal

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
the peacock is african

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Whyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jb:
the peacock is african

Actually peacocks are from India lol

The measure of a man is by the way he treats another www.davidwhymancrystal.co.uk

Posts: 151 | Location: England | Registered: 08 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
According to Wiki, there's the congo peafowl, that I'd never heard of:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congo_Peafowl

and the two types of Indian peafowl:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Peafowl

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Peafowl

Wherever they're from, they're noisy bastards. Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jb:
the peacock is african

jb,
Thanks for the comment. Nice try with helping me make the "African Connection," but it is not the Congo Peafowl, it is of the Indian Peafowl variety.
From Shakari's helpful link (Yes, they are noisy buggers that can be heard wailing almost as far as a lion's roar, a jungle sound, heard in the background of some old Tarzan movies supposedly set in "Africa"):

But there are some sparrows, painted over the top of the snow after the 17-year-old got tired of painting grass, one blade at a time.

Maybe the topic of the forum is too narrow, and should be expanded to Indian Shikar as well as African Safari?
Australian and North and South American "Bubbari" related works too?
Safari, Shikar, Australari and Americari?
I'll pass on the calomari.

"Worldwide Wildlife and Hunting Art" in general?

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Rip,
Even though we've had or differances. I must say those are some nice paintings.

Before I was distracted by the gun bug 22 years ago I was an art major at BHSU.

My wife is into peacocks she has 14 at the present time. She has one named big bird, he's the boss of the yard. Screams at anything that moves. He even charged a coyote one morning at sunrise down at the creek. I could not believe it. The coyote ran but then came back, he got a 180 accubond for his efforts.
SS/Timan

Posts: 1207 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stuart,
Thanks.
I wish you the best, and a happy new year.
Sincerely,
Ron

One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
RIP

Thank you for showing us your work.

I especially like the Jackson portrait.

I'd imagine you get a lot of enjoyment out of the process of painting? Very cool- those of us with no artistic talent are left with firing, cleaning and fondling our firearms for enjoyment...wait- you excel at that too!

You are a true Renaissance Man!

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
404WJJeffery,
You are very kind. I just have too many hobbies. But hey, Grandma Moses got started late in life ... I will have to post a real African Fine Art piece soon, hopefully less primitive than a Grandma Moses.
Thanks.
Rip