Find
Notify
Tools

Frederick Courteney Selous
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of David Whyman
posted
Selous has been a hero of mine since I read my grandfathers book by Selous "A hunters wanderings in Africa" when I was 10 years old.I have been hooked on Africa and Selous ever since As a glass engraving artist I decided to engrave this piece of the great man which is 12 inches in diameter and is engraved on both sides to give a 3D effect. All the engraving is deeply freehand engraved using a dentist drill.

The measure of a man is by the way he treats another www.davidwhymancrystal.co.uk

Posts: 151 | Location: England | Registered: 08 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
David,
Wonderful piece! Anyone would treasure that work of art.
Selous is the archetypal hero of all real men.
Many in my age group cut our teeth on John A. Hunter's Hunter in the grade school libraries on this side of the pond.
From there we discovered the giant, "them, they were giants" Selous.

BTW, I navigate the Home, History and Contact pages at your site very nicely, but the Galleries seem to lack the scrolling functions, so I cannot see all the content there.
Your site or my "puter?

DRG says: "Kiss my liberal grits!" animal

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Whyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
David,
Wonderful piece! Anyone would treasure that work of art.
Selous is the archetypal hero of all real men.
Many in my age group cut our teeth on John A. Hunter's Hunter in the grade school libraries on this side of the pond.
From there we discovered the giant, "them, they were giants" Selous.

BTW, I navigate the Home, History and Contact pages at your site very nicely, but the Galleries seem to lack the scrolling functions, so I cannot see all the content there.
Your site or my "puter?

DRG says: "Kiss my liberal grits!" animal

Hi Rip, don't know why you can't see the pictures on my site -you should see postcards which you click on to enlarge. The website is new and some of the photo's I'm not happy with yet and some will have to be changed as they haven't scanned well from the original

The measure of a man is by the way he treats another www.davidwhymancrystal.co.uk

Posts: 151 | Location: England | Registered: 08 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Rip, it might be your computer. I just went to the website and I was able to look at everything just fine.

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shof,
Yep, it was my 'puter. The one I am at now works great for looking at this:

www.davidwhymancrystal.co.uk

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cordell
posted Hide Post
David,
What a fabulous work of art the detail is exceptional, thank you for sharing it with us. I am now off to visit your site. Take care and God bless.

Posts: 336 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 09 September 2004Reply With Quote