New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ivory grips
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
These grips were made and scrimshawed in Zimbabwe. They fit a Colt 1911 frame.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Wow!!! Those are beautiful!! I have a real weakness for Ivory grips and I love the African cats. I don't own a 1911, but, I'd buy one just so I had a home for those grips. Enjoy them !!

Posts: 13 | Location: South Central PA | Registered: 09 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where did you get them? I have a pair from Eagle grips, here in the States, but, would like to bring back another pair.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my 45 would look great wearing those Big Grin

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bryan Chick:
Where did you get them? I have a pair from Eagle grips, here in the States, but, would like to bring back another pair.

They are pre-ban and I got them in Bullawayo in 1988. You can no longer import finished ivory products due to CITES. Only sport hunted ivory can be imported into the US from some African countries and it can not be sold after you get it here. It is almost impossible to find pre-ban ivory now to make grips from. These are for sale in the classified section.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dang! Makes a guy wish he had a nice engraved 1911 single stack to grace with these.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nece! I have a pair I had scrimed by Linda Karst several years ago with a Cape Buff on one side and the rest of the Big Five on the other. If I can figure out how to post photos I will.

Posts: 309 | Location: WV | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
You can no longer import finished ivory products due to CITES. Only sport hunted ivory can be imported into the US from some African countries and it can not be sold after you get it here. It is almost impossible to find pre-ban ivory now to make grips from. These are for sale in the classified section.
465H&H

This applies to elephant ivory but not to some other teeth. For instance I buy hippo and warthog ivory quite readily; the hippo teeth are as hard as woodpecker lips and are not suitable for grips of any size but they cut cleanly. The hollow nerve cavity portion will make up into good archer's thumb rings and I even made a Boy Scout neckerchief slide from the extreme bottom section.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have about half talked my way into buying a single stack so I could buy these and display them properly.

Beautiful...

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
What ever happened to the Ivory grips? Were they sold in the classifieds?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, thy arte still available.

465H&H

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where at in the Classifieds? I can't find the listing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw these grips at 465 H&H's home not long ago.
They are even more beautiful in person.
The work is exquisite, and the ivory is just beginning to age a bit.
You will like them.

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cant find the add on the classifieds, are they still for sale? how much?

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not any longer. We have discovered that Cites will not allow their sale, even pre-ban. Mad

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you sure about that? there are several websites on the internet that sell pre ban ivory, and a few seem to be reputable......

How much were they listed for before?

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I talked with the USFWS again today about it. That issue was also discussed. The above-referenced grips are not for sale. Might I suggest that you try looking on one of the websites for pre-ban ivory (for use as pistol grips) that might be available for sale and which meet the USFWS criteria for pre-ban sales.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be very careful to check with USF&WS before buying any elephant ivory products. If it was imported before the elephant was listed by USF&WS as threatened it can be sold. But once it was listed it can not be sold. Although CITES allows some commercial trade in elephant ivory, the Endaangerd Species Act prohibits such sales in the US. I was under the impression that pre-ban elephant ivory could be sold but was wise enough to check with USF&WS before selling them. I found out I was wrong. Here is a copy of the e-mail I recieved from the Law Enforcement Division of USF&WS.

Dear Walt,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the sale of African elephant ivory pistol grips. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service' mission is, working with others, to conserve, protect and enhance fish, wildlife, and plants and their habitats for the continuing benefit of the American people.

The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) is an international agreement between governments. Its aim is to ensure that international trade in specimens of wild animals and plants does not threaten their survival. The species covered by CITES are listed in three appendices according to the degree of protection they need. Appendix I includes species threatened with extinction. Trade in specimens of these species is permitted only in exceptional circumstances. Appendix II includes species not necessarily threatened with extinction, but for which trade must be controlled in order to avoid overutilization that may threaten them with extinction. Appendix III contains species that are protected in at least one country, which has asked other CITES Party countries for assistance in controlling the trade in that species.
Regulations that you can view at the following link describe the allowable uses after import of specimens of species listed under CITES: http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/...1.1.6.3.1.24&idno=50

The African elephant, Loxodonta africana, from Zimbabwe, is listed as Appendix II species under CITES, with an annotation for noncommercial purposes, where other specimens of that species are treated as if listed in Appendix I of CITES. Therefore, under paragraph (b) at the above link, these African elephant ivory pistol grips can only be used for noncommercial purposes

You can view the CITES appendices at: http://www.cites.org/eng/app/appendices.shtml.

Unfortunately, these African elephant ivory pistol grips tusks cannot be sold.

Thank you for your cooperation in complying with our regulations that help protect fish, wildlife, and plants and their habitats. Please feel free to respond to this message with any further inquiries that you may have regarding this matter.
Arlington, Virginia 22203

Wlbwlb@aol.com
05/25/2010 10:34 AM
To lawenforcement@fws.gov
cc
Subject Sale of pre-ban processed elephant ivory

Good morning,

In 1987 I imported one set of elephant ivory pistol grips from Zimbabwe. I have the sales receipt and CITES export form from Zimbabwe for them. Is it legal for me to sell these grips to someone in the US (Nevada). I live in Idaho.

Walt Bodie