Find
Notify
Tools

318 Westley Richards
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Superb metal work and a cool caliber to boot. Bet it chambers like a dream with that case wall taper.
Wow.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5084 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stunning rifle! Everything is perfect!

Stupid question but is it difficult to make it feed smoothly?

Posts: 376 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It’s essentially an odd bore size .338/06.

Classic rifle!

I like this one. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 10475 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Killer! Absolutely perfect. Congratulations.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As already said, beautifully done!

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1468 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am curious about that graceful long open grip. Is that your "style" or was that designed (or specified) specifically for this rifle based on the customers measurements?

KJK

Posts: 676 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My kind of rifle in every respect, could be better, but I can't see how!! old

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41752 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Show-off! :-)

Posts: 20073 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In regards to bullets.

I recall reading an article over 20 years ago by Craig Boddington who was having trouble sourcing bullets for a 318 WR.

His solution was take his bullets to a company that does center less grinding.

For any kind of cup and core bullet this would only reduce jacket thickness .004 a side. This should not have much material effect on bullet performance on game. If you did this to a monometal bullet it would have no effect.

Just a thought to get you running.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1016 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Amazing, I really like the bluing.
1 question.

Does the Barrel sling attachment have to be silver soldered on? or force 44?

Posts: 6359 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I cannot speak for Bitterroot about the solder for the barrel swivel base, but I've mounted a bunch with Force 44 (96 % tin, 4% silver) and never had any problems. I have removed parts soldered with this solder and it takes a lot of heat & a big hammer. The tin/silver solder is amazingly strong.

Cheers,

Roger

Posts: 464 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great metal work!
Really nice rifle. Can you show a photo(s) of the receiver with the scope you are using mounted on the ERA G9 Plus ring system?

Posts: 655 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the Hi-force solder (475 degrees stuff) from Brownells for all my barrel mounted hardware. It's plenty strong and most hardware has a good amount of contact surface.

As far as bullets, I was able to pick up a good supply of Woodleighs and some original Kynoch softs and solids. The brass was the more difficult item to find but we got some and the client now has more than enough to last a lifetime.

I don't think I ever took a photo with the scope installed. To get the rings I wanted, and the height I needed, I used the blank rings from NECG and machined the bottoms to what was required, the front with the twist-off post and the rear to fit the G9 locking mechanism. It was a 30mm tube Swaro, too big for the rifle I thought but it wasn't my money.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote