New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Conetrol still in business?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone know if Conetrol is still in business? Their website still accepts orders and the phone gives a message, but no response to orders or inquiries.

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs, I literally just got off the phone w/ the owner. He IS still in business. Said best time to reach him is weekday afternoons.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, thanks.

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And the only guy I have dealt with who is more cantankerous than me.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:

I know I will never deal with him again. And I'm not the only one.

Posts: 2652 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

And that's saying alot!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You won't see any Controls on any of mine.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
You won't see any Controls on any of mine.

Try the Conetrols instead--they work much better than Controls.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't know you were smart enough to spell!

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Obviously, you are not!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are still an ASS aren't you!
Do I spell it "I have Conetrol over you?"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yah, he got much worse after his wife died.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I usually talked to a woman. Might have been his wife. Never had an issue. Call place the order and it would be delivered pretty quickly.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Never in the history of mankind have there been rings that were a bigger pain in the ass to mount than the Conetrols. You would be bitchy too if you had to deal with the damn things all day long.

Mike

Posts: 21188 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, I've got the trick down...piece of cake.

One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
Putting on Conetrol rings is like trying to tie both your shoes at the same time using one hand.
They do look slick when they are finally installed, though.
And the owner has made generous donations to the NRA for about a million years, now.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I simply put them together and lay a piece of tape over the top. Mount them in the bases and take the tape off.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Nelson:
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:

I know I will never deal with him again. And I'm not the only one.

Sounds like the guy who owns Lynx Optics here in Oz. Although, I think he goes past cantankerous into the realm of rude.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
The only contact I have had with him was anytime I wrote something about his rings or donations to the NRA and he personally made an effort to contact me to thank me.
I think he eventualy even sent me a set of rings for my HVA that Steve Berg restocked and they are still on that rifle.
his rings are not for the guy who plays with his rifle like a Barbie doll and is constantly changing scopes and rings but are for those who wish to put a scope on with the lightest weight and sleekest rings and leave it there.

He very well may be grouchy, but when it comes right down to it I don't know too many good craftsmen ( and women) in this industry who are not at times.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4192 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:

He very well may be grouchy, but when it comes right down to it I don't know too many good craftsmen ( and women) in this industry who are not at times.

A timeless conundrum, do dicks become craftsmen or do craftsmen become dicks? Cool

Mike

Posts: 21188 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone whoever deals with artiste gun/riflemakers can tolerate grouchy.BUT losing checks,credit card charges and my order so that it took months of weekly/biweekly phone calls to resolve questions your sanity.Eventually i got my order.When you place your order:1)put 1800 CONETRO on speeddial;2) buy gallons of your favorite booze;3)get lots of antipsychotic meds;4) repeat to self"I AM NOT THE CRAZY ONE"!

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very good Mike!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gave up...went with Recknagels.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Beibs: Does Recknagle make a style similar to the strap-type Conetrols? CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5097 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know, but their pivot-mount set-up is probably the best there is for a QD mount.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
By the way Jon, An older gentleman on the message at Conetrol said they answer the phones 12-4. Sounds like a cut-back for whatever reason.

Posts: 5097 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes,they do answer the phone from 12to4.They just dont remember it!

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I gave up and went another way.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I think the boss (MR. Miller) is the only one that takes orders over-the-phone and that is only over the phone. I filled out an online order and it was ignored. I ordered a pair of Leupolds instead.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
it would seem prudent that someone already in the firearms industry with adequate machinery would take this business over and run it in a much more profitable way.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
That would require the owner to sell. That doesn't seem to be in the cards as far as I know.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
how long are his patents good for?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I have no clue. Google U.S. patent term and go to the USPTO calculator.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To preface my statement. My wife considers me the epitome of old fashioned. She thinks I should have been born in the 1880's... at the latest. I try to keep things modern and I do that to gain with my customers.

I have never spoken to anyone more old fashioned and set in their ways. I wanted to order a set for a customers rifle, I also wanted to order a set for myself as I had never really gotten to play with a set. I was told that to get a dealer account I would need to send a copy of my FFL along with a letter describing my business on company letter head.

The conversation went something along the lines of...
"I don't have a company letter head? Can I send the FFL and a copy of my business license?"
"No, how can you have a company and not have a company letter head??!!"
"I have never had to send a letter for my company"
"How do you communicate with people?"
"By email and telephone"
"But how do you mail them letters?"
"Look I'll just pay full price, you do take credit card right?

I will certainly never recommend them to a customer or use another set on a rifle.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LOL the guy is something else. He was in the hospital for a while. Wouldn't doubt if he is still in and out with health problems. Still runs his credit cards on the old manual paper slips. I can only imagine someone going in and trying to get him all streamlined and efficient, that would be something to see. It will be interesting to see if the company survives after he is gone.

Mounting them isn't too bad once you get the hang of it. The real pain in the ass is making minor adjustments (if scope is slightly canted)

Best looking mounts you can buy in my opinion. I have them on 3 different rifles, and after some serious falls and tumbles, the damn things have never budged. The other projectionless mounts on the market are all butt ugly. one design looks like a flimsy strap and the other one looks like a damn doughnut.

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know Mr. Miller, and I have not dealt with him.

But he supports the NRA. And his website relates/related the very difficult loss of his beloved wife of many years to a long & painful disease.

I know that as my parents aged their last years were not their best ones.

We all get older, and most of us become set in our ways.

Maybe he deserves some consideration for his situation...

Posts: 265 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shuffle rifles in and out at will, but when I (not often) decide to keep a rifle it wears Conetrol mounts.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central PA | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote