Custom Rifle Heaven
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
Rack of barreled Mauser actions at Rigby

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Somewhat surprised that they come from Mauser already polished and blued.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Glen71:

I hear Rigby's new standard line of 416's are basically mass produced rifles at $15k. If you want a new "Bespoke" rifle, they start at about $25k.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A pretty picture, indeed. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
quote:
Originally posted by Glen71:

I hear Rigby's new standard line of 416's are basically mass produced rifles at $15k. If you want a new "Bespoke" rifle, they start at about $25k.

As was the norm 100yrs ago! And not only Rigby's.

Nice looking barreled actions.

DRSS

Posts: 1904 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I heard that Mauser was going to start making their own actions actions again. I believe the recent Mauser rifles (the M98) from Mauser are from Prechtl.

Can anyone confirm this?

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Austin, this is what I understand as well but can't remember the source. May have been Marc Newton from Rigby regarding the new actions. I know we talked about action sources once. I believe some actions (short/left?) come from Mayfair.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great place to visit!

Posts: 113 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 23 May 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
I heard that Mauser was going to start making their own actions actions again. I believe the recent Mauser rifles (the M98) from Mauser are from Prechtl.

Can anyone confirm this?

The new actions are being made in a new facility by Blaser. Not Prechtl. Like I said, the barrelled actions are basically massed produced. The blue is some nitride type finished. The stocks are machine cut. Rigby still has a custom shop in London that makes custom orders starting at 10k higher.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe I am just a penny pincher, but 15K for what is basically a production rifle seems a bit extreme. You can go to AHR and get a nice wood stocked or synthetic stocked gun, in MANY different calibers, and options, for 1/3 to 2/3 that price, and you can also get a Granite Arms action for a bit more if you want a "true" M98 action, although the 550 action is pretty much a M98 action in itself. Ruger managed a DGR with internal quarter rib for around 2K and even if they did not use the 77 action and added the Granite action for an additional 5-6K, you would still be half the price. Just my jaded opinion!

Posts: 1640 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote