THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    7lb 5oz titanium Satterlee 375 H&H
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7lb 5oz titanium Satterlee 375 H&H
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted
This one is a new development for me, by customer request. This one is a large ring Satterlee M98 375 H&H in titanium. The receiver and magazine box assembly as well as safety sleeve are titanium. The bolt, extractor, cocking piece, and firing pin are steel. The barrel is a K&P stainless 1-12 twist with a quarter rib barrel banded sling swivel and Masterpiece banded front sight ramp, with fiber optic front and rear sights.
Trigger is my Satterlee trigger borrowed from Grisel prints of yesteryear, been doing those since '08.
The traditional integral square bridges have been redesigned to integral picatinny square bridges ring choices are many and scope mounting is about as easy and reliable as it gets.
The stock is my signature British Express drop box style but in Carbon fiber, it's a pound and six ounces.
This rifle has a wonderful balance to it and is really a pleasure to handle. Recoil without the break really is not that bad and with the break its more like 7Magish recoil. In any event it was built for hunting bears and other critters that may carry an attitude.

Posts: 1210 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is BAD ASS!!!.
Love it.

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Cool looking piece! Big brown bear medicine.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How does that work with the steel locking lugs smashing against the titanium reciever. Is rhere ever any setback

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
How does that work with the steel locking lugs smashing against the titanium reciever. Is rhere ever any setback

Nope. The primer pocket fails 1st, then you get a gas dump that M98 Design handles safely, then your pressure curve tapers off, you just can't hit it hard enough. We've been thru the proof house at Ferlach with these.

Posts: 1210 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
It's certainly different. Looks like it's ready to go to work. I like the idea of integral mounts that offer a little flexibility in scope positions.

How much does the rifle weigh?

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Per the title 7lbs 5 oz

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10055 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stunning. Very cool.
As light as it is, it might just float off after I shot all 4 shots at a buff....

Posts: 10150 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great rifle. I like the integral scope mount and the fact that they make it easy to properly mount a red dot or RMR as well as a scope. Nice weight and to me a great all around rifle, light enough with power for anything, all good !

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Per the title 7lbs 5 oz

Oops! Thanks.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
That’s a really interesting rifle. It’s really light, and you mention recoil isn’t that bad without the break. I can’t stand muzzle breaks, so what would you compare it to in a more traditional weight of say, 10-10 1/2 pounds.

For a large bore, light rifle; that might be the perfect caliber.

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Neat rifle, throw away the brake.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, "BRAKE"

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post

I the main thing I notice when shooting this rifle without the muzzle break on it from the bench is the forend does come up out of the front rest.
I do quite a bit of bench shooting and testing of each rifle I build, I shoot fairly well from a bench as that's where the most of my experience in shooting is. My offhand skills could use more work, I think that goes for most of us. In any event getting 3 into point of aim at my 37 yard target was not a problem at all from the bench and no muzzle break.

With one round still in the rifle and two in my pocket I decided to see how I would do off hand, I really don't know why but felt my self anticipating the shot two times in a row and chucked those to the right and slightly high, so get your shit together man and concentrate! Bang! In the point of aim. Redemption. Really happy with this build at this point.

As far as recoil without the break, hell I could get along fine with this rifle from now until forever as far as that goes as in my mind it's just a 375 and it seems to me the real pain, like...shit I just got punched in the face kind of hit generally comes from calibers that start with a 4 or a 5.

Recoil is like a 375 without a break and but I put that kick ease 600 on it I thick it's call it's about an 1-1/8 thick and fairly soft. A Pachmeyer decelerator would be fine too, just wanted different for this build.

I guess get on some game and make it happen is about what's left to do on this, but that's up to the guy getting it, my job is just build it and make sure it works.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heck..can't even go to the range without everyone having a damn brake...even on 223's...Don't get it!

But...the man want's a blue suit, turn on the blue lights

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice looking rifle. Did the customer give you their intentions with the rifle?

Posts: 1426 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brandon.Gleason:
Very nice looking rifle. Did the customer give you their intentions with the rifle?

Bears in Alaska,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool rifle and great all around caliber. I would throw the brake in the trash, especially on a .375H&h as they aren't real hard kickers

Posts: 223 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
I've had a similar rifle in mind but 300 H&H, same action, same stock, but the barrel would be a Proof Sendero light, with an custom old style H&H front sight ramp, the short style one. 5/8 x 24 threaded muzzle can it, break it, or just clean with the thread pro. QD rings on pic. Tops. And a custom titanium Rigby style cocking piece peep sight.

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I have to keep myself from looking at Mr. Satterlee's site. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like this one! Great work! I hate brakes as well, but it is removable and what the customer wanted.

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
that looks like a well designed and executed hunk of bear medicine! Very nice!

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since this is not a "traditional" custom rifle, have you considered using Proof Research Carbon fiber barrels for any of your projects?

My very first thought on seeing this beauty was a proof research barrel. They may not make them that large, and of course, you lose your ability to attach things to the barrel...

She sure is a beauty!

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1476 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What does a cloth wrapped barrel bring other than saying it is cloth and it is lighter?

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fal Grunt:
Since this is not a "traditional" custom rifle, have you considered using Proof Research Carbon fiber barrels for any of your projects?

My very first thought on seeing this beauty was a proof research barrel. They may not make them that large, and of course, you lose your ability to attach things to the barrel...

She sure is a beauty!

I have given the Proof barrel idea some thought, I mentioned a concept a couple posts up the chain. The idea revolves around the 300 H&H cartridge.

When you look into the proof contours you'll see that those contours get significantly larger at 338 and above. The smallest contour proof makes in a 338 is the sendero and that dude is .920 in diameter at 26"
That's quite a bit more size/mass than I'm interested in, just too big.
The sendro light is .820 @ 24" doable.
As far as sights a so fourth attached to a Proof barrel one must think outside the box, it's possible.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
What does a cloth wrapped barrel bring other than saying it is cloth and it is lighter?

What does a Titanium rifle bring other than saying it is titanium and it is lighter?

quote:
Originally posted by Timan:

I have given the Proof barrel idea some thought, I mentioned a concept a couple posts up the chain. The idea revolves around the 300 H&H cartridge.

When you look into the proof contours you'll see that those contours get significantly larger at 338 and above. The smallest contour proof makes in a 338 is the sendero and that dude is .920 in diameter at 26"
As far as sights a so fourth attached to a Proof barrel one must think outside the box, it's possible.

They do get beefy. I was thinking of Proof’s new Ti rifle with their barrel.

I have read some about folks machining carbon fiber, but I think it’s beyond me. There is a fair amount of stainless available at the beginning and end if you do get creative

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1476 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
After looking your rifle, it’s giving me pangs of regret on the one I have in the works that’s near completion.

That’s about as perfect of a working rifle as I’ve seen in some time.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1214 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another option for a carbon wrapped barrel is Todd Bettin. He makes them to order and I'll bet you can get the .338 in the profile you want. He uses Satern barrel blanks. Every one of his barrels I've used has shot phenomenal. I would admit that I like the look of proofs carbon wrap a little better though.
quote:
Originally posted by Timan:
quote:
Originally posted by Fal Grunt:

She sure is a beauty!

Posts: 571 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Here's another one using my Satterlee Arms stock in Carbon fiber set up as a blind ADL style magazine.
The action is a commercial FN, barrel is a stainless K&P, NECG sights, Recnagle trigger, Satterlee Arms 3 position safety and new bolt handle, Cera-koted and full feed and function conversion to 33 Nosler. 8lbs unscoped. Another working rifle truly built for taking on the elements with Alaskan hunting in mind.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A little tongue in cheek but also true: gosh, with the cost of all those high-end end parts, you'd expect more accuracy. My very old school, wood stocked 1953 M70 .375 with a plain old school 3x Leupold shoots much tighter groups with hardly no load development. I realize those groups shown are just a start, and that with the right load it will improve greatly. However, if you compare the cost, whatever it is, to my 65 year old relic, well, you'd think there would be no comparison. But, really nice rifle, and no doubt perfect for the Kodiak brown bears.

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by devere:
well, you'd think there would be no comparison.

There isn't.
Learn to read. The target was open sights. cuckoo

Nice rifle as always Stu!

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1839 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Looks lovely!
When are you making a titanium lever action and single shot?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I hate the brake

To me a standard 375 H&H belted mag should be in the eight pound something range. Above that is too heavy. My original H&H 375 weighs 8lbs 2oz not scoped wood stock and takedown to boot!

That would be nice to carry and shoot.

DRSS

Posts: 1905 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:
quote:
Originally posted by devere:
well, you'd think there would be no comparison.

There isn't.
Learn to read. The target was open sights. cuckoo

Nice rifle as always Stu!

Thanks James.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I never notice the recoil when shooting at game. Suspect most people are the same.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Heck..can't even go to the range without everyone having a damn brake...even on 223's...Don't get it!

Brakes reduce recoil.

That's a very nice rifle! So you made the receiver? With the titanium and stainless parts, and composite stock, it should hold up well out in the elements.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Except brake of course. I don't understand why to use brake on .375 H&H at all. Maybe for 120 pounds woman or kid I can understand.

Jiri

Posts: 2074 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jpl:
quote:

Brakes reduce recoil.

That's a very nice rifle! So you made the receiver? With the titanium and stainless parts, and composite stock, it should hold up well out in the elements.

This is Stu's receiver. In days gone by Stu and I believer James Anderson had a shop called Taconic Arms in NY. I think the Ti Mauser receivers werte their specialty.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like the lines of that stock. I also don't care for brakes but I would have ordered my 7.25 lb 375 with one on it as well. Load work and practice sessions with the brake on and then hunt with it off.

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jpl:
quote:

Brakes reduce recoil.

Yes I did make the receiver, it's one of a number of designs I've made that revolve around the M98 core design.
What I mean by core design is traditional 3 lug M98 bolt with guide rib non-rotating claw extractor in all of its detail. Buttress threads on the safety shroud, M98 field stripable striker assembly, C-Ring breech, fixed blade ejection and M98 bolt stop. Basically it's a modern M98 in its entirety, no omissions to the M98 Design.
The trigger design can be described as a modified Grisel which is similar to a model 70 trigger, all of which are excellent triggers for hunting rifles.