THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Springfield Swing Safety Options
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Springfield Swing Safety Options
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
What is the best option for either a 3-position or 2-position swing safety for an 03 Springfield these days? Just not sure who is still making one and which one is the simpliest to have installed, e.g., LaPour, Wisner, other. Not too keen for a lever safety like a Buehler or Mark II. Thanks in advance.

Mike

Posts: 21190 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have a PM

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.myersarms.com/spri...3-3-position-bolt-sh
+1, Lapour tooling and same quality. I have one, beautiful workmanship.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ed Lapour sold the manufacturing rights to Nate Meyers

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A cocking pc.& safety from a post 64 Win. Model 70 will work. You have to make a new firing pin end however. It can be made quarter 28. The notch where the safety cams is in a different place on the springfield. I have done it & it turned out nice. The pre & post 64's are 90 degrees off from each other. That's why a pre won't work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the references!

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1475 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking units! Would love to see some photos of them installed on a complete rifle though...

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Strangely most of my customers don't like me posting pictures of their rifles on the internet dancing

My website is in a perpetual state of being "almost finished". Supposedly it will be done soon. When it is I should have the ability to post pictures on the forums again and will put up at least an action, if not a rifle.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim Wisner is almost finished with a batch of his safeties. I know he’s making M70 style safeties for Springfield and Mauser

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2140 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input and suggestions. Going to go with a the Wisner 2-position. The 3-position versions are significantly more expensive and the 2-position version can be machined from your existing shroud. For my purposes, the 2-position will work just fine.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing kda!

Can I use those pictures on my website?

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anybody making the scope bases shown in kda55's picture? Cost?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have done them a few times, they fit Talley's

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, built by Mr Kobe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rgg_7:
Anybody making the scope bases shown in kda55's picture? Cost?

I think most gun makers offer custom scope bases well, I think just about everyone! Prices range quite a bit from a simple basic block to a full set of custom square bridge bases.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Thanks for all the input and suggestions. Going to go with a the Wisner 2-position. The 3-position versions are significantly more expensive and the 2-position version can be machined from your existing shroud. For my purposes, the 2-position will work just fine.

My objection to two position safety is twofold. First, it is more open to the weather than either the Mauser style wing safety or the Model 70 style three position safety. Second, it doesn't allow the bolt to be opened with the safety engaged.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I don’t disagree although I think the latter consideration is more of an issue with a 98 action versus a Springfield action with a cocking knob that can be used if necessary to de-cock the rifle if there is a round in the chamber.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you decock a Springfield with a live round in the chamber, then the tip of the firing pin will be resting on the primer and it would not take much of a jostle to set the round off. I wouldn't care to take that step as a matter of course, even in the process of opening the bolt with a live round in the chamber.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some years ago, thee was an NRA article that described the "de cocking" using that knob! The poor dumb bastard grabbed the rifle by the muzzle and shot himself in the chest.

DO NOT use that knob except as an aide to disassembly. This is the vey reason I'm shy about leaving such knobs on a Mexican Mauser.

They may have had a place in the old, old 22's, but the firing pin was the inertia type and did not rest directly on the rim.

Posts: 3450 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The knob on the Krag and the 1903 Springfield, and the Mexican Mauser served to RE Cock the gun if the round failed to fire. This way the bolt was not required to be opened to re cock.

It should NOT be used to lower the firing pin on a live round!!! (disassembly is a good use as well)

This is ONE of a myriad of reasons the US adopted the Krag and not the Mauser. The Mauser had no means to re cock should the round fail to fire. It wasn't until almost 20 years later that Mexico added the knob.

Mexico required the knob when they had problems with ammunition, not all of it domestic as they bought MILLIONS of rounds through DM, FN, and others.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
To close the loop, ended up have Jim Kobe do several things on the Springfield, including modifying the bolt shroud to a two-position safety and installing a set of his custom bases. Great work as always.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fal Grunt:
The knob on the Krag and the 1903 Springfield, and the Mexican Mauser served to RE Cock the gun if the round failed to fire. This way the bolt was not required to be opened to re cock.

It should NOT be used to lower the firing pin on a live round!!! (disassembly is a good use as well)

This is ONE of a myriad of reasons the US adopted the Krag and not the Mauser. The Mauser had no means to re cock should the round fail to fire. It wasn't until almost 20 years later that Mexico added the knob.

Mexico required the knob when they had problems with ammunition, not all of it domestic as they bought MILLIONS of rounds through DM, FN, and others.

Actually. the small slot on the firing pin nut allows to re cock with a cartridge case

Posts: 3450 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
quote:
Originally posted by Fal Grunt:

Actually. the small slot on the firing pin nut allows to re cock with a cartridge case

Duane,

Sorry if my post wasn’t very clear. I was referring to the Mausers that the US tested in competition with other designs. The Krag had provisions (ie knob) to re cock the rifle.

I photographed what is believed to be Krag #5 of the Trials when I was at SPAR doing research on the Trials.

https://www.gunboards.com/thre...892-spar-697.808985/

Mauser submitted several samples, each to order on the specifications of the Ordnance Department. Two of the most important examples are still at SPAR. The third, rifle #4 was miraculously found at a Pawn Shop in California and is the only known Trials rifle in private hands. I have not yet convinced the owner to sell it to me.

https://www.gunboards.com/thre...azine-trials.942234/

https://www.gunboards.com/thre...azine-trials.937850/

Mauser’s earliest designs, up to the Swedish contracts had no means to re cock. From what I have determined the Swedish provision was a domestic development as Mauser has no related patents.

Paul Mauser’s first patent related to this ability was for his 1898 design. This design, while adopted in 1898 was not finalized until later.

Well, I had intended it to be a quick response, guess I went a little over!

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good information..thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
To close the loop, ended up have Jim Kobe do several things on the Springfield, including modifying the bolt shroud to a two-position safety and installing a set of his custom bases. Great work as always.

I have one of those two position safeties availabel in anyone is interested

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437