New
Find
Notify
Tools

.275 Rigby (photos and video)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The rifle: Built for my wife who's a southpaw in .275 Rigby on one of our pre-64 M70 style actions. Engraving work was done by Mark Swanson of Prescott, AZ. Color case was done by Turnbull. Both Turnbull and Mark were able to get the work done in a very short timeframe so that the rifle could be under the Christmas tree this year for my wife, which is good since the rifle was supposed to be done two years ago for our 10 year anniversary Smiler So goes personal projects...

The Video: I set out to make a video that would show a glimpse of every step of the gunmaking process. Unfortunately over the several years that it took to finish the rifle I lost some of the footage. I still ended up with a fairly comprehensive look into what goes into a custom rifle. I also took note of the feedback received here from the previous videos and kept the original audio in the video except in a few of the clips in which the radio drowned out the machines. It's a long video (40min) In fact I haven't even watched the whole thing through after editing it.
https://youtu.be/2JP0IsZxSe0

Posts: 561 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
I like the pistol grip treatment much better than previous rifles you have posted pictures of in the past. Nice looking gun.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Awesome video. You look like you enjoy running the mill as much as building the rifle

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent video Matthew, thank you for posting, you have a PM.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Nice; I do like CCH.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great video. Did you you start with a brandnew carding wheel just for the vid? Thanks for taking all the time to do
this.

Greg

Posts: 422 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!

Good eye Greg Smiler The old one was on its last leg and since I was going to be recording I decided to replace it.

Posts: 561 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful. What was the translucent bedding material?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Super nice rifle & a great video !! Your wife is a lucky lady !!

Posts: 1007 | Registered: 21 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Acraglas. if it's applied thin enough it's clear and almost resembles varnish. If the inletting isn't tight, then it will appear more yellow and will have bubbles.
quote:
Originally posted by bt8897:
Beautiful. What was the translucent bedding material?

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
If your wife is half as pretty as that rifle, you are a lucky man. Congrats on having such good taste and the means to produce this beautiful rifle.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27590 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh I can assure that I am a lucky man! And if she only costs me one rifle every ten years I'd say I've got myself a pretty good bargain Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
If your wife is half as pretty as that rifle, you are a lucky man. Congrats on having such good taste and the means to produce this beautiful rifle.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Stunning! Congrats on a beautiful rifle.

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle ! , great video !

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding.

Craftsman

Posts: 1530 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm always impressed when makers fabricate their own parts, particularly on manual machines.

Well done and thanks for posting.

Posts: 986 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent video. Well done!

The rifle is beautiful and in a very useful caliber. I like that you decided not to include a cheek piece. Classic.

A question on the action... as a leftie I am always curious... the action is "...one of our pre-64 M70 style actions" SO the is NOT an actual LH Winchester-made action? Tell me more?

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great looking rifle. Really enjoyed the video.

I got to handle some of your wares at DSC. Finely crafted. I have to assume that was your wife in the booth there. We had a nice talk about the full rib barrels you had there from Morris. Lovely lady to talk with and knowledgeable.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you!
As far as the action is concerned, several years back I was making actions with a friend named Bill Richardson out of Phoenix, AZ (hence the name Richardson and Roberts on the action). It's essentially a pre-64 design with the addition of integral double square bridges and some different lengths, we made a .308 length through a .375 h&h in left and right hand. Machined out of 8620 billet.
Anyhow, we found the margins too thin on the action market (at least how we were making them) and decided to call it quits a couple years ago. I still have a handful of actions available if someone wants to order a rifle with one.

quote:
Originally posted by Alec Torres:

The rifle is beautiful and in a very useful caliber. I like that you decided not to include a cheek piece. Classic.

A question on the action... as a leftie I am always curious... the action is "...one of our pre-64 M70 style actions" SO the is NOT an actual LH Winchester-made action? Tell me more?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Jeremy!
That was indeed my wife in Dallas. This was the first year she's joined me for the show. We sold more rifles than normal with her there but also somehow ended up booking a hunt to New Zealand. So I guess it's kind of a wash Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by farbedo:
Great looking rifle. Really enjoyed the video.

I got to handle some of your wares at DSC. Finely crafted. I have to assume that was your wife in the booth there. We had a nice talk about the full rib barrels you had there from Morris. Lovely lady to talk with and knowledgeable.

Jeremy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNR:
Thank you!
As far as the action is concerned, several years back I was making actions with a friend named Bill Richardson out of Phoenix, AZ (hence the name Richardson and Roberts on the action). It's essentially a pre-64 design with the addition of integral double square bridges and some different lengths, we made a .308 length through a .375 h&h in left and right hand. Machined out of 8620 billet.
Anyhow, we found the margins too thin on the action market (at least how we were making them) and decided to call it quits a couple years ago. I still have a handful of actions available if someone wants to order a rifle with one.

quote:
Originally posted by Alec Torres:

Years ago mt friend Gary Goudy and I visited Pete Grisel in Bend (before the Dakota partnership with Don Allen) and saw the M70 type actions he was building. I BEGGED him to build me a LH version, but he didn't have the tooling.

I have since bought a LH Dakota 76 .257 Rob. and mid year last year I asked Reto Beuhler to build me a .404J on a stretched LH G33/40 GM Action after visiting the GM people in Phoenix. Sorry that I did not know you had these actions available.

I still want a good 7 X 57 rifle.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great video. Thank you for posting...

Posts: 61 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 29 April 2013Reply With Quote