THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Another Custom rifle from Anthony Guymon - a 1000 yd Benchrest rifle w/ Brevex Action
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Custom rifle from Anthony Guymon - a 1000 yd Benchrest rifle w/ Brevex Action
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted
Another Custom rifle from Anthony Guymon - a 1000 yd Benchrest rifle w/ Brevex Action

Hello All,

Here's another interesting find that I'd like to share with all of you.

You may have seen my post in the Classifieds: "Wanted to Buy - a Brevex Mauser" I really like Brevex rifles. I had 8, and this one makes 9 in my collection.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...631065452#9631065452

One of my Wisconsin friends knew that I liked Brevex Mausers rifles. The weekend before last, he put me onto this one. He is a big time Weatherby collector, and found it in an obscure Ohio Auction not listed with proxibid. I jumped in and bid. It went ridiculously reasonable.

It is a Custom Anthony Guymon rifle from the 1950's. The Guymon Catalog listed Brevex actions as one of their offerings, and this one is as such. It has a heavy-duty Laminated stock and a period Weatherby Factory barrel in 257 Weatherby Magnum caliber. It came with a Unertl 2" scope and a custom Bi-Pod and Tail-Drag, both are bolt-on and both are adjustable. (you can see them bolted in place in the last photos of the rifle)

As you might imagine, 257 Weatherby Magnum is not the caliber of choice for typical benchrest matches which were conducted at ranges of 100, 200, and 300 yards. This rifle was built especially for long-range 1000 yard benchrest matches.

I've loaded some ammo and can't wait to see how this one does at my club.

As always, your comments are welcome.

Here are the particulars:

1950's Custom Rifle by Anthony Guymon, Bremerton, Washington
"Custom Streamliner Magnum Varmint" model
26-3/8" Weatherby Factory Barrel
257 Weatherby Magnum Caliber
Brevex Mauser M-300 Action
Buehler Low profile Safety
Dayton Traister Adjustable Trigger
Laminated Magnum Stock w/ cross-bolt
Rosewood Grip Cap & Forend Tip
Morgan Adjustable Butt Pad
Unertl 2" 36x Scope
Sling Swivels
13-1/2" LOP - 11 lbs 1 oz - 13 lbs 12 oz w/ scope

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2116 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting rifle! I've seen several like this with the old Weber action. Never have I seen a benchrest rifle with sling swivels or a tapered style barrel with this much taper. I suspect that it also served as a hunting rifle.
Nice example of a yesteryear rifle.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pegleg:
Interesting rifle! I've seen several like this with the old Weber action. Never have I seen a benchrest rifle with sling swivels or a tapered style barrel with this much taper. I suspect that it also served as a hunting rifle.
Nice example of a yesteryear rifle.

Hello Pegleg
Thanks for the reply.

Yes. Back in the day, many people were trying to break the record for the smallest group shot at 1000 yards. Those rifles back then were little more than hoped-up hunting and varmint rifles. As I recall, the smallest group back in the 60's was about 6 inches. Today the record is 1.068 inches for 5 shots at 1000 yards. Unlike a hunting rifle, this rifle has inlet metal pads for attaching both the bi-pod and tail drag. However, I believe the sling swivels allowed a sling to be attached so the rifle could also be carried into the field ans setup for varmint hunting.

Posts: 2116 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can’t wait to see how it shoots!

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Colin Masters:
Can’t wait to see how it shoots!

Hello Colin Masters,
Thanks for the reply.

Me too! but it will be spring before our club's "long" range is open. I'll have to settle for 100 yards till then.